Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PFF grades for week 5
(10-09-2023, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought Irwin did well, but he got a pretty low score.

I'd assume falling down and causing an INT crushed his grade. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams at least in that game, week 5 is performing significantly better from the right side. I would not be surprise if he continues this trend, for the Bengals to sign him to long-term deal. I am surprised that CTB was rated that low. Irv Smith is not the answer at TE.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd assume falling down and causing an INT crushed his grade. 

You'd hope they would see he was tripped up by the defender, but who knows?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Reader came out last week and said there were guy(s) on defense that didn't want to tackle. Wonder if he was talking about Scott... 

Not really a huge fan of Scott or Irv Smith yet. Think we have better talent behind them both.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought Irwin did well, but he got a pretty low score.

Reeling in that wide open bomb for a likely TD probably would have given him about a 30 point bump.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: PFF is still garbage.

Iosivas did not run block but got a run blocking grade.

Trayveon Williams literally went into the wrong set after the snap and forced Burrow to run back and kneel a play but still gets high marks.

Nick Scott plays so badly they sit him but PFF thinks he was good.

There are more.

Iosivas was credited with run blocking on 10 snaps.

59-60 for Williams and Scott are not good grades.  I mean, they're good for Cordell Volson, but still not good grades.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reeling in that wide open bomb for a likely TD probably would have given him about a 30 point bump.  Ninja

I don't know.  That play is a tough one to figure out for me.  I watched that play again a few times.  Irwin had his man beat but it looks to me like maybe Burrow over threw it just a bit.  I guess you could also argue if Irwin was a step faster he would have had it. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 05:25 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't know.  That play is a tough one to figure out for me.  I watched that play again a few times.  Irwin had his man beat but it looks to me like maybe Burrow over threw it just a bit.  I guess you could also argue if Irwin was a step faster he would have had it. 

Guy grabbed his arm as well. He didn't pull him backwards or anything, but he could have lost a step or two there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

Trayveon Williams literally went into the wrong set after the snap and forced Burrow to run back and kneel a play but still gets high marks.

There are more.

Yeah they're really interesting, but I gave up reading too much into the #'s a long time ago. For example, I have yet to hear a coherent explanation for why the same player doing the same job (often with the same success) can see wild score fluctuations from game to game. In some cases it's like there's too much context; in other cases not enough. But I still enjoy reading them to see if they confirm the eye test. And over the course of the season the peaks and valleys tend to even out and provide a good yardstick for quality of play. Plus they can make you sound smart, which always helps. Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 05:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Iosivas was credited with run blocking on 10 snaps.

59-60 for Williams and Scott are not good grades.  I mean, they're good for Cordell Volson, but still not good grades.

Williams pass block score is 79.9. Sorry but literally causing a play to be scuttled by going into the wrong set is an issue. And they have Nick Scott rated higher than CTB in coverage despite him being so bad he got sat for Battle. I admit to interest on how they think Yoshi run blocked 10 snaps when he lined up almost exclusively out on the perimeter and the runs were not usually towards his area. 
Reply/Quote
41 pass rush attempts by the backup rotational defensive linemen and 1 pressure between them...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:20 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: What are they seeing with Jonah? My eyes must be garbage along with Volson who does not know how to pick up stunts.

Karras has blown a few of the stunts as well. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 05:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Williams pass block score is 79.9. Sorry but literally causing a play to be scuttled by going into the wrong set is an issue. And they have Nick Scott rated higher than CTB in coverage despite him being so bad he got sat for Battle. I admit to interest on how they think Yoshi run blocked 10 snaps when he lined up almost exclusively out on the perimeter and the runs were not usually towards his area. 

Again, the Williams thing is just one bad play. And it cannot really hurt his blocking grade, as he didn't block anyone. Wink

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 06:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Again, the Williams thing is just one bad play. And it cannot really hurt his blocking grade, as he didn't block anyone. Wink

So.....if you just do the wrong thing every snap you can't get graded badly? Literally self imploding a play is as bad it gets. He LITERALLY went into the wrong set - what DOES it affect?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 06:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: So.....if you just do the wrong thing every snap you can't get graded badly? Literally self imploding a play is as bad it gets. He LITERALLY went into the wrong set - what DOES it affect?

Oh, it has an effect. But just not on the blocking grade. But it is just one bad play. He played 12 snaps. If the other 11 were pretty good, one bad play won't torpedo his rating for the game. 

I think they grade +2 to -2 per play. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wonder when we need to start the conversation about a Jonah extension at RT? One less hole to fill next year. I can't believe he's still only 25.

He would have to want to actually be RT long-term, and from what we all expect, he will choose to go to a team that gives him opportunity to be LT.
Even if he was ok playing RT long-term, you'd have to expect he'd want $10+ mill APY, which he might get, but probably not from the Bengals.

If he does re-sign though, that's one less need going into the draft, which would help a ton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

There are more.

The dude got a 59. He was the lowest-rated of our 3 RBs. Where do you draw the line of "high marks" ?

Reply/Quote
Did DJ Reader really cover a guy on one play or is that another error on PFF's part?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The dude got a 59. He was the lowest-rated of our 3 RBs. Where do you draw the line of "high marks" ?

Like I already said, look at his pass protection grade.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Like I already said, look at his pass protection grade.

The play Treyvon messed up was designed to be a run. 

Reply/Quote