Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PFF grades for week 5
(10-09-2023, 05:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Williams pass block score is 79.9. Sorry but literally causing a play to be scuttled by going into the wrong set is an issue. And they have Nick Scott rated higher than CTB in coverage despite him being so bad he got sat for Battle. I admit to interest on how they think Yoshi run blocked 10 snaps when he lined up almost exclusively out on the perimeter and the runs were not usually towards his area. 

Looked to me like Joe was wanting to hand the ball off on an RPO and Williams just went straight into pass pro, but I'll hunt down the play and rewatch it when I have time.

Scott sucks, but it isn't like CTB has been an All Star this year, with 98.9 passer rating allowed when targeted per Pro Football Reference.  Scott is currently at 99.5 before the full numbers for Sunday are released, so they have been pretty close when targeted.  Plus CTB was burned to a crisp early by Hollywood Brown and a terrible throw from Dobbs was the only thing that saved a long TD.  Brown beat him by a full three yards.

QB scrambles and blocking downfield on receptions by others.  It really isn't that big a mystery.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The play Treyvon messed up was designed to be a run. 

Yes, looked like Burrow was trying to hand off to him and he wasn't even looking.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 05:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Williams pass block score is 79.9. Sorry but literally causing a play to be scuttled by going into the wrong set is an issue...

Considering that play was a run play Williams messed up it doesn't have anything to do with his pass protection grade.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ...Even if he was ok playing RT long-term, you'd have to expect he'd want $10+ mill APY, which he might get, but probably not from the Bengals...

The Bengals are already paying Jonah 12.6 million to play RT. If they could extend him for that Im sure they would but you are right Jonah will probably go to a team that will play him at LT.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 03:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Uh oh...Cordell Volson truthers, this is your day to gloat!

He still had the lowest pass protection grade.
Reply/Quote
Not only will Jonah probably want to play LT somewhere, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind getting out of the AFC North and away from Watt and Garrett.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 06:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Karras has blown a few of the stunts as well. 

The offensive line has had problems with stunts the last couple of years. It's as if they have never seen a defense do that.
Reply/Quote
From what I saw last year out of Joe Mixon pass blocking and what he has done this year he looks improved. I hope he continues to improve and see a decent blocker that is consistent towards the end of this year. A guy that can be counted on to give Burrow time to throw if called upon.
Reply/Quote
Love seeing that Battle grade and thinking Ossai is not completely healthy yet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 07:19 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Love seeing that Battle grade and thinking Ossai is not completely healthy yet.

Jordan Battle got a run at nickle linebacker because ADG was injured. The Cardinals ran a ton of 12 and 13 personnel packages so the Bengals used a big nickle for a good chunk of the game. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 04:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wonder when we need to start the conversation about a Jonah extension at RT? One less hole to fill next year. I can't believe he's still only 25.

I must be aging too fast because it feels like he must have been drafted at age 11 now.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 12:57 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals are already paying Jonah 12.6 million to play RT.  If they could extend him for that Im sure they would but you are right Jonah will probably go to a team that will play him at LT.

You all are assuming there's a team out there that wants him for a starting left tackle. I'm not sure there is.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 08:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You all are assuming there's a team out there that wants him for a starting left tackle. I'm not sure there is.

I don't know Sled..There's always one busted knee away from Johna being the most desireable LT on the market.. Then again timing is everything..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 12:57 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals are already paying Jonah 12.6 million to play RT.  If they could extend him for that Im sure they would but you are right Jonah will probably go to a team that will play him at LT.

They're paying him that for just this year though, and it was the 5th year option decided back when he was LT.
I'm not confident they would pay him $12.5 mill APY on a multi-year deal to be the RT.

Reiff was signed to just a 1-year, $7.5 mill deal to be the RT.
Collins was 3 years, $21 mill.

These two guys were the highest paid at RT for Bengals for at least the past decade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 05:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Williams pass block score is 79.9. Sorry but literally causing a play to be scuttled by going into the wrong set is an issue. And they have Nick Scott rated higher than CTB in coverage despite him being so bad he got sat for Battle. I admit to interest on how they think Yoshi run blocked 10 snaps when he lined up almost exclusively out on the perimeter and the runs were not usually towards his area. 

I would assume they consider the screens to Chase where the WRs are helping block as run blocking grades. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 09:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They're paying him that for just this year though, and it was the 5th year option decided back when he was LT.
I'm not confident they would pay him $12.5 mill APY on a multi-year deal to be the RT.

Reiff was signed to just a 1-year, $7.5 mill deal to be the RT.
Collins was 3 years, $21 mill.

These two guys were the highest paid at RT for Bengals for at least the past decade.

I guess they'll have to get in touch with Bobby Hart's agent?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 09:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess they'll have to get in touch with Bobby Hart's agent?

All joking aside the teams offensive line depth is atrocious. Not only will they likely have to replace the starting RT but their backup tackles leave alot to be desired. I'd like to see them bring in a guy like Matt Peart to compete with Carman and Smith. Peart played almost 500 snaps as the reserve RT in 2021 before tearing his ACL in December that year. He played really solid during that stretch. He didn't play in 2022 because the ACL but has 40ish bad reps this year so far.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 10:06 AM)Synric Wrote: All joking aside the teams offensive line depth is atrocious. Not only will they likely have to replace the starting RT but their backup tackles leave alot to be desired. I'd like to see them bring in a guy like Matt Peart to compete with Carman and Smith. Peart played almost 500 snaps as the reserve RT in 2021 before tearing his ACL in December that year. He played really solid during that stretch. He didn't play in 2022 because the ACL but has 40ish bad reps this year so far.

He's going to be UFA after this season?  Might be worth taking a look at.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It is an extremely deep OT class. Into round 2 deep.

Fashanu, Alt, & Latham are all top 15 guys.

Suamataia, Mins, Morgan, & Guyton are all well regarded, Paul, too.

Barton & Fautanu are OTs in college but some project them elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I really wish they'd officially promote Tanner Hudson in place of Mitchell Wilcox, or honestly just drop Irv Smith to open a roster spot for Hudson.
Hudson is the best receiving TE on the team. He's also shown he can block decently well, albeit limited snaps.
Hudson leads all TEs with 48 receiving yards and only played 2 games.
Smith, Sample, and Wilcox combined only have 50 yards.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote