Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades week 1
(09-13-2021, 03:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Too not stumble in the backfield on 4th and inches....  Whatever

Multiple people slipped on the turf yesterday, I wonder if the heat didn't do something to make it slick.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m gonna go back and watch the game but I’m pretty sure all of Mixon’s big runs came in 1st/2nd and 10 situations and longer.

Very unsuccessful with the 3rd and short type runs

Which would mean that run game isn’t as good as it should be

Only 2 of his 29 carries were third and short.  Pretty small sample size.

He did score a td on a short yardage situation.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Multiple people slipped on the turf yesterday, I wonder if the heat didn't do something to make it slick.

I almost started a thread about that, there was a lot of guys I saw as well just trying to make a cut and falling. Makes you wonder if it was heat like you said, or something wasn't done by the grounds crew correctly or just lack of practice on that surface, since they practice on the field outside?

I dunno, but hopefully it doesn't continue.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 2 of his 29 carries were third and short.  Pretty small sample size.

I can't remember exactly, but perhaps you or someone else with a replay of the game can answer this, was the line getting good push on 3rd and short situations? That to me is always one of the marks of a good OL, that even when the other team knows you are going to run it, 3rd or 4th and short as well as late game to kill the clock, can the line push guys back and create a little space.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 2 of his 29 carries were third and short.  Pretty small sample size.

4th/2nd and short also lumps into the category

And what’s the definition of short? Mine is 4 yards or less
Reply/Quote
I thought Ogunjobi would be higher. Nice to see Pratt in the top 5 though.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 12:05 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF is wrong here.

1 Sack was Drew Sample vs Danielle Hunter, 1 sack was Samaje Perine vs Harrison Smith, 2 sacks were Trey Hopkins vs Michael Pierce, and 1 was a jailbreak Nick Vigil sack looked like a miss communication on Quinton Spain.

Exactly how I saw it.   Perine has a LONG way to go on his blocking assignments in pass pro.     To me, leaving Drew Sample alone against a DE is something that needs to be fixed in the blocking scheme.    That hopefully won't happen again.  

Hopkins was definitely rusty.  At least I hope he is just rusty.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4th/2nd and short also lumps into the category

"Short" should be 2 yards or less. 4 yards is almost half a first down.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just a couple notes to add in. 

The Bengals, as a team, had the 5th highest overall grade of all games yesterday, at 80.6
The Offense had 8 guys score 65+, and i say that to highlight my next point...
The Defense had 13 guys score 65+ and Trey Hendrickson just missed the mark. 

ADG and Pratt were in the top 5 with 75+ scores. Logan Wilson checked in with a 70+.
Four of the top seven scores on defense were from DL guys. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Trey Hopkins got a 7 in pass blocking
A 7
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 07:07 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Trey Hopkins got a 7 in pass blocking
A 7

Reminds me of the movie black sheep.

“Do you know how fast you were going?”

“I guess I was going 65. Tops.”

“SEVEN”
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried with Hopkins. He'll turn it around. He's always been a good pass protector.

I'm not surprised to see the pass blocking grades for Spain and XSF. That's about average and expected for both of them. I'm not expecting either of them to be consistently above the 60's.

Williams and Reiff in the 70's is also expected.

On another note - Only 2 targets to a TE all game, both of which went to Uzomah. If this game is any indication, don't expect a lot of pass-catching contribution from TEs again this year. It's all about WRs and RBs.

On defense, the new DTs played well. Hopefully Pratt can play consistently solid (or better) this year, which is his 3rd year. Good first game for him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think the PFF grades on both Spain and XSF are lower than they should be. They gave up no sacks, only 2 pressures, gave Burrow a clean pocket and both were key contributors to the run game too. Jonah and Reiff completely blanked a couple of high caliber DEs too. I think in a way the PFF graders docked our Guards (who were stout) a bit because of Hopkins - which is silly.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not surprised to see the pass blocking grades for Spain and XSF. That's about average and expected for both of them. I'm not expecting either of them to be consistently above the 60's.

I dont understand how both Spain and XSF can receive the same exact same pass protection grades. XSF allowed 2 pressures and didnt look nearly as good. Quinton Spain did not allow any pressures and looked stout all night.

I think PFF needs to go back and review the game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
XSF also looked fine, neither Guard let anything happen to Burrow and on Mixon's biggest run XSF was the one whose block sprung him.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:01 PM)Synric Wrote: I dont understand how both Spain and XSF can receive the same exact same pass protection grades. XSF allowed 2 pressures and didnt look nearly as good. Quinton Spain did not allow any pressures and looked stout all night.

I think PFF needs to go back and review the game.

With PFF's system, a player can get positive points for a block they feel is difficult or impressive, so you can hypothetically have one guy that has two good plays to offset two bad ones grade the same as someone who just did the job all game long.

One thing that I've noticed because of this trend is guys in man-power schemes having inflated grades because the system often allows them opportunities to just tee off on the guy in front of them and drive him off the LoS.  This inflates their run blocking grades, and consequentially, their overall grade.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: XSF also looked fine, neither Guard let anything happen to Burrow and on Mixon's biggest run XSF was the one whose block sprung him.

It sure looked like a missed assignment or miscommunication for Spain on the Vigil sack. Trey points at Vigil, the ball is then snapped and Spain goes with Jonah to double team the end, leaving a lane wide open that Vigil screamed through and hit Burrow.

Edit: Upon review of this tweet, not sure who to really put this sack on. The end bails out into coverage leaving Willaims with no one to block. Spain's man goes to the outside and he follows ending up with a double team and an open lane. Mixon sees the blizer from the corner spot and goes to get him, as does XSF.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4th/2nd and short also lumps into the category

Mixon had two carries that were "goal-to-go" inside the 3 yard line.  He scored a 2 yd td and gained one yard on the other.  Those were both first down plays.

Other than that he only had 4 carries with 4 yards or less to go.  We all know he got stuffed on the 4th and one.  But on the other three carries he gained 14 yards (4.7 avg) and converted one first down.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 07:07 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Trey Hopkins got a 7 in pass blocking
A 7

Well he can get a 28 next week for 4x the improvement in just one week Cool Of course we may be on our 3rd string QB if that happens.

I am hopeful Hopkins gets back to form in the 60+ range next week overall, if so that would stabilize the OL if the others can continue their play
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m gonna go back and watch the game but I’m pretty sure all of Mixon’s big runs came in 1st/2nd and 10 situations and longer.

Very unsuccessful with the 3rd and short type runs

Which would mean that run game isn’t as good as it should be

I swear, if someone flat out gave you a brand new Lexus, you'd complain about the color. Cry
Reply/Quote