Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades week 3
(09-27-2022, 12:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Bengals running backs were hit in the backfield 52% of the time last year.  I haven't heard the figure for the 3 games so far this year but I would imagine it's not much better.  You can't expect Mixon to run the ball effectively if the line doesnt do better than that.

I don't think it's a coincidence that both Mixon and Burrow have not started out great when the line has struggled.  I just don't understand the fans that claim the problems on offense aren't because of the O-line. The problems are because of Mixon and Burrow.  Really? 

It's very possible with a very sub par line the past couple seasons that he's developed some bad habits. Not having complete faith in your OL and especially the 3 new OL, he's hitting the very first hole/perceived hole he can instead of waiting for something to develop.

Great video yesterday of not following his C to the right who not only blocked the DT but also made it to the 2nd level, only to see Mixon quit on the play as he started that way but ran back inside into a couple jerseys for a yard gain. Vision and patience are the biggest qualities a RB needs.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The stat sheet does not have him giving up any pressures either. Look, I'm not saying he's the best RT since Big Willie, all I'm saying is that after 2 rough games and playing with a bad back, he played well enough to keep the left DE off Burrow. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt before writing him off as a bust. Karras and Cappa neither one are grading great, and none of the 3 of them forgot how to play football. It takes a minute with a new line. They just played in 2 hostile stadiums, let's see how they do Thursday back at home. 
And I agree about Volston and said at the beginning I thought he would do well this year because of his attitude. (then I was hit with the small school stuff) He's getting better each and every game. I expect this line to be dominant 2nd half of the season. We know Pissburgh and Dallas have elite pass rushers, and the interior of the Jets Dline is still top notch. 

Cool Sled, hard to disagree with any of that but I saw La'el giving up a few pressures myself. Still, he is getting better as is the 
entire OL and I also think this OL could be dominant once they mesh. It takes time, that is a big turnover with 4 new players
on the OL. Cappa I think got the shaft from PFF, I thought he was clearly the best OL, followed by Volson and then Karras.

But hey, everyone sees something a little different and we don't know their assignments either.

Also true about Pissburgh and Dallas's pass rushers. This is both of those team's strengths and the Jets and their DT's.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The stat sheet does not have him giving up any pressures either. Look, I'm not saying he's the best RT since Big Willie, all I'm saying is that after 2 rough games and playing with a bad back, he played well enough to keep the left DE off Burrow. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt before writing him off as a bust. Karras and Cappa neither one are grading great, and none of the 3 of them forgot how to play football. It takes a minute with a new line. They just played in 2 hostile stadiums, let's see how they do Thursday back at home. 
And I agree about Volston and said at the beginning I thought he would do well this year because of his attitude. (then I was hit with the small school stuff) He's getting better each and every game. I expect this line to be dominant 2nd half of the season. We know Pissburgh and Dallas have elite pass rushers, and the interior of the Jets Dline is still top notch. 

To be fair regarding Volson, he is tied for league lead in sacks allowed among guards, is 2nd in the league in penalties amongst guards and ranks 45th out of 62 eligible guards in pressure percentage. He was abysmal week one, fantastic week two, and meh week three. However, on a positive note - he has only played three games. These numbers potentially look worse than they are because of a small dataset. This goes the other way too, though. With more snaps, he could just accumulate more of these metrics. 

Looking at our upcoming schedule, I am hopeful that he is going to settle in. He isn't really coming up against any top tier guys. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 04:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: To be fair regarding Volson, he is tied for league lead in sacks allowed among guards, is 2nd in the league in penalties amongst guards and ranks 45th out of 62 eligible guards in pressure percentage. He was abysmal week one, fantastic week two, and meh week three. However, on a positive note - he has only played three games. These numbers potentially look worse than they are because of a small dataset. This goes the other way too, though. With more snaps, he could just accumulate more of these metrics. 

Looking at our upcoming schedule, I am hopeful that he is going to settle in. He isn't really coming up against any top tier guys. 

Being as how his very first game he was matched against Cam Heyward, I would not expect his numbers to be great.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 01:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's hard to say how bad this is without knowing figures across the league. I am not sure where you're getting this data from... 

A Barstool Sports article that has been talked about before on the forum:  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3431861/the-narrative-about-a-cincinnati-bengals-regression-is-disrespectful-baffling-and-straight-up-wrong

https://twitter.com/wincinnatipod/status/1549058823989743617
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 06:15 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: A Barstool Sports article that has been talked about before on the forum:  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3431861/the-narrative-about-a-cincinnati-bengals-regression-is-disrespectful-baffling-and-straight-up-wrong

That's fascinating, given the data I am looking at. It's definitely there, though. I would have expected to see worse data on their runs for two yards or less last season, especially since we are talking about 52% of the runs. Cincinnati wasn't particularly bad at runs for two yards or less, and Mixon averaged less than two yards per attempt after breaking a tackle, which is unspectacular. 

Thanks for posting, hadn't seen this before. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 12:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw Zach Carter make one badazz run stop on the sideline for a 2 yard loss and Ossai could of had a sack when Trey
got his 2nd sack forced fumble. Still like these guys and Gunter, agreed on Logan don't know what they were smoking
when grading him. He is our leader on Defense and plays like it. I think he might be the best young LB in the NFL right
now. ADG is starting to become that other playmaker to the other side of him.

Like I said to Ocho I might start ADG over Pratt from here on out. This guy could be a gamechanger for us. Nothing 
against Pratt, but I think he might be leaving after this season anyways.

All true about Awuzie and the Secondary, love these guys. Bell and Bates were both all over the place same with Hilton
and Apple. Kind of hard for Dax Hill to get a shot with these guys all playing so well but that is a great thing to have
going on in the Secondary if you cannot get a guy as talented as Dax Hill on the field...

Something really special is happening.

I haven't watched it again closely enough to see that play by Carter, but I will watch for it.  I think most young defensive linemen have it beat in to their heads that they have to stop the run that they are very disciplined on that, but I want to see a guy like Gunter come in and just go balls out to get to the QB.  

I think Dax isn't playing largely because of the situations and style of play they have faced.  If the Bengals were to get up 2 scores on Miami and force them to start throwing it all the time, you could see that dime package.  There are a lot of things they can do with it, but against rush first teams (pitt, Dallas, and NYJ), a dime isn't ideal.  

I can't wait to see Dax come in and get in to the flow of the game, but it has to be the right situation.  

As far as ADG goes, that was one game, but it was a very solid effort against a pretty good run team.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: And we have another classic case of PFF ratings not aligning with what we actually saw or the actual game results. This is the problem with "secret sauce" synthetic ratings - we do not know the exact formula so we cannot tell why they rated like they did.

It's because Burrow made them look good. He houdini his way out of at least 3 sacks..
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 07:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I haven't watched it again closely enough to see that play by Carter, but I will watch for it.  I think most young defensive linemen have it beat in to their heads that they have to stop the run that they are very disciplined on that, but I want to see a guy like Gunter come in and just go balls out to get to the QB.  

I think Dax isn't playing largely because of the situations and style of play they have faced.  If the Bengals were to get up 2 scores on Miami and force them to start throwing it all the time, you could see that dime package.  There are a lot of things they can do with it, but against rush first teams (pitt, Dallas, and NYJ), a dime isn't ideal.  

I can't wait to see Dax come in and get in to the flow of the game, but it has to be the right situation.  

As far as ADG goes, that was one game, but it was a very solid effort against a pretty good run team.  

Just have to say... Yeah, I agree as usual lol

(09-27-2022, 07:41 PM)Tony Wrote: It's because Burrow made them look good. He houdini his way out of at least 3 sacks..

He looked good alright, loved how Joe maneuvered and transformed the pocket against the Jets.

This is some of the stuff I see from him that makes me think we can win a lot of Superbowlz...

Just want to see this continue without him injuring himself in the process. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And obviously a plan to find a new starting RB next year, too.
No one really thinks Perine is a legit starting RB, right?

We will never know unless we give him the bulk of the carries for a game or at least a larger portion of the carries.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just have to say... Yeah, I agree as usual lol

He looked good alright, loved how Joe maneuvered and transformed the pocket against the Jets.

This is some of the stuff I see from him that makes me think we can win a lot of Superbowlz...

Just want to see this continue without him injuring himself in the process. 

Why didn't the d-lineman that went after Joe's knee get a flag? Thought this was a penalty if you went at the knee even if you lost your balance, it is on you to avoid the knee area just like the head.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:38 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Why didn't the d-lineman that went after Joe's knee get a flag? Thought this was a penalty if you went at the knee even if you lost your balance, it is on you to avoid the knee area just like the head.

Boger and those refs were completely biased against us in the Jets game no question.

Gonna happen being the Bengals. I just want it to be even.

The refs were actually good for once when we played Pitt in the opener. This needs to keep up. 

Might of been the best slide of Joe's career lmao!
Reply/Quote
Speaking of rewatching games NFL game pass otherwise known as NFL game trash will not let me view any games. They put up some new add that is screwing up the web site and you need to clear your browser history and lose passwords for every site you visit just to view the games. And this is not certain to work. I have had a subscription for the last 5 years or so, I won't have one next year if they do not fix that micky mouse bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61qijIadH_4&t=8s this is the issue I speak of.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Speaking of rewatching games NFL game pass otherwise known as NFL game trash will not let me view any games. They put up some new add that is screwing up the web site and you need to clear your browser history and lose passwords for every site you visit just to view the games. And this is not certain to work. I have had a subscription for the last 5 years or so, I won't have one next year if they do not fix that micky mouse bs.

That's bogus. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Speaking of rewatching games NFL game pass otherwise known as NFL game trash will not let me view any games. They put up some new add that is screwing up the web site and you need to clear your browser history and lose passwords for every site you visit just to view the games. And this is not certain to work. I have had a subscription for the last 5 years or so, I won't have one next year if they do not fix that micky mouse bs.

Interesting. I was just watching games yesterday. I wanted to double-check to see if it still worked this morning and I am able to go watch the games without issue. It is most likely a caching issue of sorts, or maybe a browser issue. 

I would recommend getting a password vault for the password issue. LastPass is fantastic. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 12:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well does that mean you don;t think Mixon is legit or is his contract up ?

If the team decides to bench Mixon in favor of Perine, there's no reason to keep Mixon and his $12 mill cap hit on the books.
Move on from him in the offseason and save $7 mill for next year if the team decides to bench him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If the team decides to bench Mixon in favor of Perine, there's no reason to keep Mixon and his $12 mill cap hit on the books.
Move on from him in the offseason and save $7 mill for next year if the team decides to bench him.

I highly doubt they bench Mixon in favor of Perine. They may sit him a week or two to let his ankle heal...
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I highly doubt they bench Mixon in favor of Perine. They may sit him a week or two to let his ankle heal...

I would doubt that too, but I'm not the one who proposed doing it.
I'm just saying what (I think) should happen if Perine were to get the nod the rest of the year over a healthy Mixon.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: We will never know unless we give him the bulk of the carries for a game or at least a larger portion of the carries.

Perine has been the primary RB before, IIRC.
It was his rookie year in DC.
He started half the season, averaging 3.4 YPC. Just two total TDs in that season.

Maybe he's better now that he's had more experience, but he's not fast enough to be a starting RB, in my opinion.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2022, 11:38 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Why didn't the d-lineman that went after Joe's knee get a flag? Thought this was a penalty if you went at the knee even if you lost your balance, it is on you to avoid the knee area just like the head.

Thought it should have brought a flag as well, even if it was a former Louisville Cardinal who made that hit. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote