Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF ranks Zac Taylor #22 of 26 NFL head coaches
(06-07-2022, 10:28 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I'd take a lot of coaches over Zac.  Give me Frank Reich right now.

Didn't he get his ass handed to him on a win and in game  by the worst team in the league?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 05:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am fine with Zac as a HC, I do wonder if we'd be better off with a real OC who would take over play calling. I guess we'll see this season what happens with the offense. There's no more room for excuses with some OL talent being brought in to go with Joe Burrow, the best WR trio in the NFL, and Joe Mixon (who also has no more room for excuses to not improve YPC).

I also am pretty sure that the Bengals D is being held back by Anarumo. He got a lot of love because of a good postseason run, but all that FA $ bringing in all that talent over the last couple years shouldn't lead to a below average defense like they had in 2021.

Need to win now while you can still afford all the talent. 3 year window where Burrow and Chase won't be combining for somewhere around $100m/yr in cap hits.

That is very true and somewhat obvious you would think. I love Math but I dont htink you can use it in this instance.
There are too many variable that cannot be counted. I have seen many teams with a lot of talent that do not win because of culture.
ZT has done a good job of bringing in high end talent with captain/leadership qualities that have built a great winning culture.

I agree with you a real slap in the face.
Reply/Quote
Any list that puts Kliff Kingsbury as a top 5 coach should probably not be given much thought.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 11:33 AM)Au165 Wrote: Any list that puts Kliff Kingsbury as a top 5 coach should probably not be given much thought.

Kingsbury over the likes of Matt LaFleur, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay?
No way.

I do find it really weird they say Taylor is riding off the "tremendous" talent the Bengals have amassed, but he's been the HC the past 3 years so...I would think he contributed to why that talent is actually there?
I'd put Taylor probably around 15th when factoring in the past 3 seasons.
Last year indicated he could be ascending into the Top 10 though.
He just needs to put together another good year. Can't regress to missing the playoffs again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 08:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe the Bengal bias has him a bit low. However he has to prove it with another strong season.

In this case it is based on objective math, not opinion.

The measure talent based on contract value, but we all know that is not always accurate.  But if anything it would underestimate the talents of Burrow, Chase, and Higgins which would be in Zac's favor.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 11:05 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote:  I have seen many teams with a lot of talent that do not win because of culture.

I haven't.

Most teams that people praise for their "superior culture" also happen to have "superior talent".
Reply/Quote
How does a coach, coach his way to a Superbowl with an abysmal offensive line and get 22 out 26... GTFOH..
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 11:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Seeing the schemes and the coaches tendencies Im alot more worried about the offense than defense.

People hate on Captain Lou because they can google rankings but if understand the multiple defenses he runs especially on the back end you would feel more comfortable. The offense on the other hand whlie "ranks higher" is alot more up in the air even with the talent they have.... Are they a spread offense that Joey B likes with his passing game? or are they a compact wide zone stretch team?
I have a feeling this could be Lou's last year. If he shuts Mahomes down again and guys like Allen, he will he gone...
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: That is some stupid shit. The coach that took a team picked to pick last in their division to with 5 seconds of winning the Superbowl is 22 of 26?

This. While Jamarr Chase definitely helped us win more games this year, there wasn't this vast increase in talent so much so that everyone predicted us to make the playoffs.

The fact of the matter is that we were predicted to be a bad team yet again, yet now it's all mainly due to the talent we went to the Super Bowl? Give me a break.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:53 PM)Tony Wrote: I have a feeling this could be Lou's last year. If he shuts Mahomes down again and guys like Allen, he will he gone...

Mahommes had 534 yds, 5 tds, and a 102.0 passer rating against us last year.  That is not exactly "shut down".  Also in both KC games Lou's defense blew a fourth quarter lead and the offense had to come back and score in the final seconds to bail us out. 

That 4th quarter fold was a common occurrence last year. Same thing happened against the Broncos.  And they blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead against the Vikings.  And they blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead against the Jets.   And they blew a lead in overtime against the Niners.

The only reason we advanced in the playoffs was a sudden increase in turnovers.  And you can't always count on turnovers.  The '05 defense taught us that.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I haven't.

Most teams that people praise for their "superior culture" also happen to have "superior talent".

I guess you forgot the Philly "Dream Team", and all of the Redskins teams that won the free agent lottery only to flop over and over?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason we advanced in the playoffs was a sudden increase in turnovers.  And you can't always count on turnovers.  The '05 defense taught us that.

Only? Give me a break lol
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is all based on math,  Tries to measure the talent on the roter then give the coach credit (or blame) for winning more (or less) with an "average" roster.  The 6 new coaches for 2022 are not ranked so only 26 total.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

22. ZAC TAYLOR, CINCINNATI BENGALS (8.4 – 8.6 RECORD WITH AVERAGE ROSTER)

Offensive Rank: 21/26 (+7 points scored a season)
Defensive Rank: 24/26 (+13 points allowed a season)

By the data, it is difficult to call Taylor’s regime in Cincinnati a success despite his postseason resume. The estimate suggests that Taylor is riding off the high of the tremendous amount of talent the Bengals have amassed in recent years.

Coach Taylor is a winner.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 11:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Only? Give me a break lol

Absolutely. Everyone knows it was turnovers AND the White Jerseys...What else could it be??
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Mike McCarthy and Kliff Kingsbury, overrated.

Doug Peterson and Zac Taylor, underrated.

I think ZTs ability to overcome a horrible offensive line yet avoiding being one-dimensional is very overlooked. Maybe they are giving all that credit to the talent (Burrow) as he still hangs in there despite the rush in his face.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Mike McCarthy and Kliff Kingsbury, overrated.

Doug Peterson and Zac Taylor, underrated.

I think ZTs ability to overcome a horrible offensive line yet avoiding being one-dimensional is very overlooked. Maybe they are giving all that credit to the talent (Burrow) as he still hangs in there despite the rush in his face.

I think they are looking at his 3 year term. It is what it is.
Reply/Quote
So IF Zac is riding high off of the talent amassed...then Mike Brown/Tobin are Top 10 GM's? Maybe Top 5?

Name a coach in the NFL that wins SB's with no talent? They all require talent to win.
Reply/Quote
Dude still has a losing record. I'm not saying that to be a dick, but it is true.

Prove last season wasn't a fluke and he'll move up the charts.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 09:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Had to Anoint him Higher when we saw his first 2 years... You cant just write those off and only look at 2021....  2022 and forward will help clear the picture up

The 1st 2 years were pretty inept. The 3rd year...seems like we peaked late in the year and then surfed the wave to the SB.

Excited to see how we start this year. I'm hoping riding that wave still. Have a 12-13 win or so season.

IF we go like 9-8, I'll be a bit confused about the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: That is some stupid shit. The coach that took a team picked to pick last in their division to with 5 seconds of winning the Superbowl is 22 of 26?

I suppose he would have bumped up to the teens if we'd won the Superbowl...

Same thing I thought lol
Reply/Quote