Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF ranks Zac Taylor #22 of 26 NFL head coaches
(06-26-2022, 07:15 PM)ATOTR Wrote: I don’t think our fans have any idea how hilarious Marvin was.

He went from nfl head coach.  To co defensive coordinator for Arizona st

Yawn
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 07:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Some want to call it luck last minute wins vs KC in the regular season and then against the Raiders,Titans,and KC again. To me it shows it’s definitely a pattern.

The pattern is that he can't put a team away.  Best he can do is hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game.

Hopefully he will continue to improve and be better this year.  Adding free agent talent seems to really improve his coaching ability.  So maybe the additions to the O-line will get him over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yawn

He cant refute or comment, so fredtoast just wants to avoid the truth.  Lol

NFL head coach......to open for any job in the NFL......to co-defensive coordinator on a tier 3 pac 12 football team.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The pattern is that he can't put a team away.  Best he can do is hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game.

Hopefully he will continue to improve and be better this year.  Adding free agent talent seems to really improve his coaching ability.  So maybe the additions to the O-line will get him over the hump.

LMAO … the pattern is your poor as hell takes
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:56 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMAO … the pattern is your poor as hell takes

Just a little tip.

Everywhere else in the football world an easy win by a large margin is more impressive than pulling one out in the last seconds.  In fact many power rating calculations use "margin of victory" to help determine which teams are superior. Only in Bengal land are the best coaches rated by how few points he can win by.

Also week 14 is generally not considered "early in the season".
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just a little tip.

Everywhere else in the football world an easy win by a large margin is more impressive than pulling one out in the last seconds.  In fact many power rating calculations use "margin of victory" to help determine which teams are superior. Only in Bengal land are the best coaches rated by how few points he can win by.

Also week 14 is generally not considered "early in the season".

Just a little tip.

Good coaches win close games, bad coaches lose them. Andy Reid and the Chiefs win a lot of close games.

Zac Taylor his first 2 years lost them. He is young and learning. Last year we started to win these close games.

Catch the hint Fred, he is coming around and now with a revamped OL we should start to see some more games won by a large
margin like the Ravens and Steelers games last season.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The pattern is that he can't put a team away.  Best he can do is hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game.

Not really fair. Zac sounded foolish crowing that we're right there because we were losing a lot of close games. There are very few blowouts in the NFL. The 0-16 Browns lost a ton of close games. I don't think Zac Taylor is Vince Lombardi, but close scores are not an indictment on him. He's winning now that he's got a talented team. It'd be a problem if they won 6 games last year, but were close.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:35 PM)jason Wrote: Not really fair. Zac sounded foolish crowing that we're right there because we were losing a lot of close games. There are very few blowouts in the NFL. The 0-16 Browns lost a ton of close games. I don't think Zac Taylor is Vince Lombardi, but close scores are not an indictment on him. He's winning now that he's got a talented team. It'd be a problem if they won 6 games last year, but were close.

Exactly

The whole narrative that you're close/good/bad because of close games is pretty much BS. Fact is nearly every NFL team good/bad/ugly has several "close games" every season.

In the NFL a win is a win and a loss is a loss ! Most games are close. And trying to spin it, tap dance around, cherry picking stats is just grasping at straws.

The good teams find a way to win. And the rest don't
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Bengals under Taylor had the 8th best margin of victory in the nfl last year (+4.5 pts)

Tops in the AFC N by a whopping 4.2 pts per game compared to #2 (Ravens) 

They were 4th in margin of victory on the road as well (+7). 

They beat out the Packers,  Titans, Niners, etc.   
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:54 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Bengals under Taylor had the 8th best margin of victory in the nfl last year (+4.5 pts)

Tops in the AFC N by a whopping 4.2 pts per game compared to #2 (Ravens) 

They were 4th in margin of victory on the road as well (+7). 

They beat out the Packers,  Titans, Niners, etc.   

Fred is like that senior golfer in your group that continues to try and play the same tees when he was much younger. Always comes up short and you tell him he needs to move to the senior tees and the next round rinse and repeat lol . Poster after poster after poster obliterates his posts but he keeps trying to minimize Zac or Lou. He always comes back with “I’m the one who said give Zac 3 years” He’s still not giving him one bit of praise
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:54 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Bengals under Taylor had the 8th best margin of victory in the nfl last year (+4.5 pts)

Yep.  5th best in the conference.  Yet some people still claim we should be considered favorites to make it to the Super Bowl because Taylor won a lot of close games. 

But I predict that Taylor will be a much better coach this year with more talent on his O-line.   Our offense should one of the best in the league.  If we can figure out how to get our defense to play an entire game instead of just one half then we should be able to beat any team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  5th best in the conference.  Yet some people still claim we should be considered favorites to make it to the Super Bowl because Taylor won a lot of close games. 

But I predict that Taylor will be a much better coach this year with more talent on his O-line.   Our offense should one of the best in the league.  If we can figure out how to get our defense to play an entire game instead of just one half then we should be able to beat any team in the league.

LMAO a poster completely invalidates your contention about margin of victory and you respond they were 5th in the conference. Of course out of 16 teams. Yet margin victory is a problem for the Bengals. Can you post a bunch around 10:35 pm so I can mute Jimmy Fallon.

Reply/Quote
A lot of this is subjective and like a chicken/egg thing. I was posting in here last preseason that Zac had been working within an impossible mission, given the defense and offensive line that the team was working with. He was the head coach of a team that many predicted to be one of the worst in football and went to the Super Bowl;still with one of the worst offensive lines in the league. As an offensive oriented coach, it’s still a bit hard to have a just evaluation, as almost every play is predicated by the offensive line. I have disagreed with some things he’s done, and also posted some of them over the past season, so I’m not some myopic Zac apologist. I do think he deserves a little more credit at times though, and I’m not looking to debate it, as - like I said in the first sentence - it is a pretty subjective topic. The anti-Zac sentiment seems to be that a chimp could’ve gone out there and done the same thing with Burrow on the team. I hope he continues to rack up wins and eventually win over a larger portion of the fanbase. If not, I at least hope he continues to rack up wins, even if everyone gives 100 percent of the credit elswhere.
Reply/Quote
Don't understand the lack of respect. His players play hard on every down and they beat the mighty Chiefs twice in 4 weeks. They went to the Super Bowl after beating quality teams in the playoffs. The sky's the limit as he matures as a head coach.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Do the Bengals make it to the Super Bowl if they have Derek Carr and Hollywood Brown instead of Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase? Do they even make the playoffs? They only beat the Steelers for division lead by 0.5 games and they had the bloated corpse of Ben Roethlisberger.

This is a ranking of the coach attempting to separate them from the talent of the roster. I am not sure 22 out of 26 is dead on, but it's probably not far off, it's certainly not slap-in-the-face territory.

This is a good point. Burrow and Chase do a lot to make the offense look good. A big part of some of our wins this past year was scoring before the half. A big part of that was just throwing deep to Chase. It's crazy how much that worked. We did make it to the superbowl but if we could've just made some decent adjustments offensively we could've won the superbowl. Hopefully we continue our success in 2022 and that will tell us a lot about Zac.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just a little tip.

(06-27-2022, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  5th best in the conference.  Yet some people still claim we should be considered favorites to make it to the Super Bowl because Taylor won a lot of close games. 

Are you actually arguing with yourself? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 04:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMAO a poster completely invalidates your contention about margin of victory and you respond they were 5th in the conference. 

He did not invalidate anything.

I'd say 5th in the AFC is about right for Taylor.

You agree?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you actually arguing with yourself? 

Lol.  I dont think he can keep his posts or takes straight.   It's like a bad Me, Myself and Irene type thing, I have noticed. 
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you actually arguing with yourself? 

(06-27-2022, 10:07 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Lol.  I dont think he can keep his posts or takes straight.   It's like a bad Me, Myself and Irene type thing, I have noticed. 

No.  I say 5th in the AFC is about right for Taylor.

Do you guys agree?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 09:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He did not invalidate anything.

I'd say 5th in the AFC is about right for Taylor.

You agree?

I’d say Zac Taylor w/ 1 Super Bowl has not proven himself to be any more than somewhere in the middle range of coaches. Just in the AFC Reid,Tomlin,Harbaugh, Kyle Shanahan, Mike Vrabel, Belichick are all better. He’s got to prove himself and I don’t know that even one more AFC conference championship appearance gets him there. He needs 5 years to fully be judged. But neither can you diminish what he did last year. It was outstanding.

Reply/Quote