Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF ranks Zac Taylor #22 of 26 NFL head coaches
(06-08-2022, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mahommes had 534 yds, 5 tds, and a 102.0 passer rating against us last year.  That is not exactly "shut down".  Also in both KC games Lou's defense blew a fourth quarter lead and the offense had to come back and score in the final seconds to bail us out. 

That 4th quarter fold was a common occurrence last year. Same thing happened against the Broncos.  And they blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead against the Vikings.  And they blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead against the Jets.   And they blew a lead in overtime against the Niners.

The only reason we advanced in the playoffs was a sudden increase in turnovers.  And you can't always count on turnovers.  The '05 defense taught us that.

He still made great adjustments on Mahomes and the chiefs held them too 6 points in 4 quarters of bothe 2nd halves of their games against him..
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 12:31 PM)Tony Wrote: He still made great adjustments on Mahomes and the chiefs held them too 6 points in 4 quarters of bothe 2nd halves of their games against him..

It was the only Defense that ended up making Mahomes look bad right when it needed to.

The Bills made Mahomes look good.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So IF Zac is riding high off of the talent amassed...then Mike Brown/Tobin are Top 10 GM's? Maybe Top 5?

Name a coach in the NFL that wins SB's with no talent? They all require talent to win.

You need to read the link.

They used a specific formula to try and determine which coach had the most talent per win.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You need to read the link.

They used a specific formula to try and determine which coach had the most talent per win.

Seems to me that it would be hard to be happy with the Bengals weapons being ranked in the top 5 and their overall team just outside the top five, then get upset when someone determines that Taylor is lower ranked because he won with a lot of talent. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You need to read the link.

Thanks. I just gave it a read.

I think I generally agree with it, but would rank Zac higher. I don't think he's a top tier coach though. But, I think he was much better than his 1st 2 seasons.

It's really hard to separate talent and coaching though. Like IF Bill Walsh didn't have Joe Montana, then what happens to him as a HC?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 12:09 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Dude still has a losing record. I'm not saying that to be a dick, but it is true.

Prove last season wasn't a fluke and he'll move up the charts.

Non story . Bill Belichick was 20-28 and not a winning season his first 3 years. Taylor 16-32-1 with a Super Bowl appearance. Those Cleveland teams at least the first 2 years had a ton more talent
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:  Like IF Bill Walsh didn't have Joe Montana, then what happens to him as a HC?

Montana was just a third round pick, not a franchise saving #1 overall pick like Burrow.

I think part of Walsh's greatness is what he was able to make out of Montana.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Montana was just a third round pick, not a franchise saving #1 overall pick like Burrow.

QB’s are a must for ingredient to winning. The Rams different with Stafford. Reid with Alex Smith. Belichick w/o Brady. The list is abundantly long. QB’s make for highly successful coaching careers. I’ve known the OC for Montana at ND since 1978ish. Played a ton of golf with him. Watched games on TV with him more times than I could count. Employed his 3 children. Montana had lukewarm stats in college but it certainly was no surprise to this person of his success.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Montana was just a third round pick, not a franchise saving #1 overall pick like Burrow.

Who was his first QB coach? Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 12:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was the only Defense that ended up making Mahomes look bad right when it needed to.

The Bills made Mahomes look good.

Mahomes actually had 6 games with a QB Rating under 75 last year.

Bills
Titans
Giants
Packers
Cowboys
Broncos

The Chiefs averaged 16.2 points per game in those. (15.2 per game if you remove the 6 points they scored from a pick-6.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is all based on math,  Tries to measure the talent on the roter then give the coach credit (or blame) for winning more (or less) with an "average" roster.  The 6 new coaches for 2022 are not ranked so only 26 total.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

22. ZAC TAYLOR, CINCINNATI BENGALS (8.4 – 8.6 RECORD WITH AVERAGE ROSTER)

Offensive Rank: 21/26 (+7 points scored a season)
Defensive Rank: 24/26 (+13 points allowed a season)

By the data, it is difficult to call Taylor’s regime in Cincinnati a success despite his postseason resume. The estimate suggests that Taylor is riding off the high of the tremendous amount of talent the Bengals have amassed in recent years.

All that matters is what he does this season and going forward. 
HORRORMOVIETALK.COM --- HORRORSOCIETY.COM --- NIGHTCHANNELS.COM
DUSTIN GOEBEL ARTWORK @ PINTEREST --- DARK ART @ MACABRE GALLERY

[Image: imageedit-5-9954707407.gif]
Support your favorite artists, independent filmmakers and movie review podcasters

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 08:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mahomes actually had 6 games with a QB Rating under 75 last year.

Bills
Titans
Giants
Packers
Cowboys
Broncos

The Chiefs averaged 16.2 points per game in those. (15.2 per game if you remove the 6 points they scored from a pick-6.)

Still. We only allowed Mahomes and the Chiefs Offense 3 points in the 2nd half in BOTH games where we played them. 

That is quite an accomplishment IMO.

Our Defense did suck in both first halves against them but it is how you finish after all.
Reply/Quote
Zac is a work in progress he has been improving. What I want to see this year is not so many close games. We got the firepower and defense to blow some of the weaker teams away.
Reply/Quote
Rankings at this point of the season are opinions, nothing more, nothing less. You know about opinions, right? Everyone has one and everyone's stinks.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Whatever he is, he is better than Marvin.

I find it funny Marv was open and able to take any NFL job offered to him after Cincy. And no one wanted to interview him for anything.

Now, he is co-defensive coordinator for a 90th ranked pac 12 football team. Talk about a LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 12:55 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Whatever he is, he is better than Marvin.

I find it funny Marv was open and able to take any NFL job offered to him after Cincy.  And no one wanted to  interview him for anything.

Now, he is co-defensive coordinator for a 90th ranked pac 12 football team.  Talk about a LOL

Yawn
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zac is a bit over rated by some Bengal fans, but he is a lot better than 22 out of 26.

Definitely true, he is mediocre at worst!
Reply/Quote
I don’t think our fans have any idea how hilarious Marvin was.

He went from nfl head coach. To co defensive coordinator for Arizona st
Reply/Quote
Some want to call it luck last minute wins vs KC in the regular season and then against the Raiders,Titans,and KC again. To me it shows it’s definitely a pattern. That calmness Callahan talked about in the Athletic really shines in close games. This team had to get there. Some want to talk about early in the season vs Green Bay ( Zac didn’t miss the FG) or SF. Some want to talk about his first two seasons. Some are so unrealistic to expect you can flip a switch and become a winner just because you have a few elite players. He had those guys relaxed and confident late in the year and post season. They were 6-2 ( ignoring Browns loss) their last 8 games and the two losses? Rams and 49ers (OT) . I think you should be judging the team they became not who they were. Taylor’s coaching worked in last minute wins with solid play calling strategy for smartly using McPherson.

Reply/Quote
I don't know if Taylor would be able to go to another team in lead them to the promised Land without first composing the personalities and team chemistry. So in essence, I sort of agree with their lowly ranking. Maybe not as low as they stated. I just don't agree with their formula at all. It needs work.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote