Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON WRAP - Pros and Cons
Offensive line needs to play better in the regular season. Not just the backups. EVERYONE. I'm underwhelmed with our TEs too but that is less mission critical.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As to cons....Bodine tops the list. A BIG reason we have been inconsistent on offense is the spotty play we have gotten from our various Centers since Braham got hurt and then had to retire. A bad Center unhinges the entire offense, as inside running has problems, the pocket has a collapsed nose (so stepping up in the pocket is a problem) and of course there is the problem with interior pass pressure (the worst kind to have).

After Bodine it is more stuff like depth at WR and also that we have defenders who have not played in the preseason (like Dennard and MJ) who figure prominently in the plans for the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 06:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: So thats the leap eh ? So in the course of one season this guy is going to replace AJ hawk who replaces Malabaluga:*) and then summon Burfict from IR to return to become gods of of the Linebackers.  

Hi.  I'm Okeana.  I just stopped by with my briefcase full of sarcasm to tell everybody how stupid they are.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 06:05 PM)McC Wrote: Hi.  I'm Okeana.  I just stopped by with my briefcase full of sarcasm to tell everybody how stupid they are.

I'm just making observations.  Rock On

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 01:24 PM)Okeana Wrote: For one.  I am not a Dalton hater.  I'm a realist and for some reason people draw a line in the sand on this issue.  I don't have to hate Dalton to like what AJ has done.  You just took a guy who has shown well as a backup in the preseason and just verbally shit all over him.  for what ? because you need to rally the troops for Dalton ?  

What takes this even a step further is that you are speaking as if there ever was Quarterback Controversy spoken about anywhere in my post.  This is observations and concerns from the preseason.  Nothing more and nothing less.  If you're not concerned about Dalton's consistency than you're wearing blinders and its a waste of time to even talk to people.  You have made up your mind that you're right and everyone else is wrong.  

McCarron may never start for this team, but he will be a starter in this league.  The tape from this preseason alone will get the get a chance to make a team and until then he will serve as  our best backup option and may develop down the line into our starter depending on how things pan out. 

As far as McCarron not throwing for 33 YD's ? Lead a team to the playoffs or have a winning record..  you frankly sound really uneducated.  The guy has played in 3 preseason PROFESSIONAL GAMES and shown well in all 3.  that's pretty consistent all things considered. 

..... more on the topic of preseason pros and cons.... and less of stomping your feet like a 5 year old

Preseason is the key word. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 06:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: The only thing Wilder showed me was he could run against 2's and 3's halfway decent.  Oh and look weird as hell in a football uniform.  

LOL...You noticed that too? But hey, he might define "gangly," but he knows how to gain yards. I'd hate giving up our STs ace to keep him on the roster, but if you want a backup RB...  Plus, I think Wilder's pretty decent on ST himself, even if he is no Running Rev.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:18 AM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Dalton will obviously start for us and that's fine but for those saying McCarron wasn't good last night. Let McCarron play with the ones and dalton play behind that shi**y display of a O-Line he had to play with last night and I bet dalton looks worse..

McCarron stays in the pocket until the last possible second . Once dalton sees anything in his sight he tucks the ball and awaits the sack

McCarron hasn't seen the beating a QB takes from grown ass men in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 06:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: So thats the leap eh ? So in the course of one season this guy is going to replace AJ hawk who replaces Malabaluga:*) and then summon Burfict from IR to return to become gods of of the Linebackers.  Sounds Logical im sold

I guess when you're trying so hard to be sarcastic it messes with the basic reading comprehension skills eh? I laid out two scenarios - one where Burflict comes back full speed and one where he does not. It's based on the assumption that Dawson is better than any of our LBs except Hawk and Burflict - which IMHO he is. Especially with Flowers out now. He's better than Vinnie Rey right now and I for one don't want another season of Lamur turning in the worst LB performance in the NFL (like last season). As to Maualuga the knock on him has always been poor football smarts and instincts - which happen to be strengths of Dawson.

So, in the "Burflict not back" scenario we have Hawk, Dawson and Maualuga. In the "Burflict back" scenario we have Burflict, Hawk and Dawson. It's about putting our best three LBers out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:18 AM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Dalton will obviously start for us and that's fine but for those saying McCarron wasn't good last night. Let McCarron play with the ones and dalton play behind that shi**y display of a O-Line he had to play with last night and I bet dalton looks worse..

McCarron stays in the pocket until the last possible second . Once dalton sees anything in his sight he tucks the ball and awaits the sack

We've seen Dalton when the OL is playing poorly. See Tampa game two weeks ago for the latest rendering.

McCarron just has more poise and it shows. Doesn't mean he's ready to take over, but he does show promise.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: I guess when you're trying so hard to be sarcastic it messes with the basic reading comprehension skills eh? I laid out two scenarios - one where Burflict comes back full speed and one where he does not. It's based on the assumption that Dawson is better than any of our LBs except Hawk and Burflict - which IMHO he is. Especially with Flowers out now. He's better than Vinnie Rey right now and I for one don't want another season of Lamur turning in the worst LB performance in the NFL (like last season). As to Maualuga the knock on him has always been poor football smarts and instincts - which happen to be strengths of Dawson.

So, in the "Burflict not back" scenario we have Hawk, Dawson and Maualuga. In the "Burflict back" scenario we have Burflict, Hawk and Dawson. It's about putting our best three LBers out there.

Tiger You really don't think, with the money they're paying Maulaluga and the fact that he's a coaches favorite, that he's isn't going to play are you??? I know all about getting the 3 best LBers on the field. I don't think there's a scenario that doesn't have Maulaluga in it as long as he's a Bengal...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:41 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger You really don't think, with the money they're paying Maulaluga and the fact that he's a coaches favorite, that he's isn't going to play are you??? I know all about getting the 3 best LBers on the field. I don't think there's a scenario that doesn't have Maulaluga in it as long as he's a Bengal...

Not really...but I can hope.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We've seen Dalton when the OL is playing poorly. See Tampa game two weeks ago for the latest rendering.

McCarron just has more poise and it shows. Doesn't mean he's ready to take over, but he does show promise.

Lol
Reply/Quote
PROS:

- Defense looked pretty good at times. I like the pressure the defensive line has been showing. Linebacker core looks pretty solid.
-Marvin Jones. Greg Little. Brandon Tate. Mario Alford. Some pretty good showings from these guys.
-AJ McCarron at times looks pretty sharp.
-Minimal amount of injuries!

CONS:

-AJ/Dalton connection is a problem. Period.
-Gio has had some issues running the ball.
-No Burfict!
-That Tampa Bay Game
-Lack of Points
-Turnovers on Defense
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We've seen Dalton when the OL is playing poorly. See Tampa game two weeks ago for the latest rendering.

Fine, I guess I will bite.

Dalton had horrible numbers. 6 for 13 for 46 yards. This includes a horrible interception that was his fault, and the one that was perfectly thrown to AJ (but picked off). This also featured the first team that had a fumble lost from Jeremy Hill. Majority of Dalton's throws were under pressure.

McCarron has showed more poise in regards to what? Playing backups in a preseason game? None of that amounts to nothing, really. He played a majority of the Colts game, giving up a few sacks there were actually his fault, and when the pressure was there, didn't do his job to protect the ball several times (at least when Dalton is getting hit, he covers the ball up).

I understand how everyone wants to jump to McCarron's aid after the Tampa Bay game. He did have a pretty good showing but that's about it. Dalton is our Quarterback, and if we are going to be making changes to this team that are deemed 'drastic', I think we should look other places before settling it ALL on Dalton. 

Just my two cents.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 05:26 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Fine, I guess I will bite.

Dalton had horrible numbers. 6 for 13 for 46 yards. This includes a horrible interception that was his fault, and the one that was perfectly thrown to AJ (but picked off). This also featured the first team that had a fumble lost from Jeremy Hill. Majority of Dalton's throws were under pressure.

McCarron has showed more poise in regards to what? Playing backups in a preseason game? None of that amounts to nothing, really. He played a majority of the Colts game, giving up a few sacks there were actually his fault, and when the pressure was there, didn't do his job to protect the ball several times (at least when Dalton is getting hit, he covers the ball up).

I understand how everyone wants to jump to McCarron's aid after the Tampa Bay game. He did have a pretty good showing but that's about it. Dalton is our Quarterback, and if we are going to be making changes to this team that are deemed 'drastic', I think we should look other places before settling it ALL on Dalton. 

Just my two cents.

My thoughts also.

AD has proven he can win at every level he has played

AJ has proven he can win in college playing QB for a powerhouse college team. I like AJ, he does stand in the pocket and show poise and is willing to take a hit. But, I have seen AD due the same thing.

I think the difference is we have a lot more tape (games) on AD and we have also seen his bad on display for 4 years. AJ has yet to play one game against a first team defense who game planned for the team's and AJ's weaknesses. I have high hopes for AJ too, but way too early for a AJ versus AD debate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 09:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My thoughts also.

AD has proven he can win at every level he has played

AJ has proven he can win in college playing QB for a powerhouse college team. I like AJ, he does stand in the pocket and show poise and is willing to take a hit. But, I have seen AD due the same thing.

I think the difference is we have a lot more tape (games) on AD and we have also seen his bad on display for 4 years. AJ has yet to play one game against a first team defense who game planned for the team's and AJ's weaknesses. I have high hopes for AJ too, but way too early for a AJ versus AD debate.

Agreed, great addition to my own thoughts. :)
Reply/Quote
I only saw one game from AJ but man he looked good at QB. Dalton has to play well imo this season. You never want to open up backup QB talks. It'll be so annoying seeing this board argue that one out
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 01:47 AM)Housh Wrote: I only saw one game from AJ but man he looked good at QB. Dalton has to play well imo this season. You never want to open up backup QB talks. It'll be so annoying seeing this board argue that one out

That's just it. It was one game from AJ, sharp or not, I don't think it's enough to really decide a season on it. I would ride Dalton out and wait for things to happen. Hopefully, he fears McCaron taking his spot and amps it up. But he needs help as well. He is not the only one losing these playoff games.
Reply/Quote