Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pacman will test free agent waters
(01-11-2016, 11:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I didn't see enough of Dennard or Shaw to make me say that I'm comfortable relying on them, but they were certainly impressive in limited playing time.

Not saying they are studs. Just saying the position is deep for us. And I wouldn't be shocked to see another drafted. I'm sure most here would prefer an LB. but marvin loves rd 1 corners
Reply/Quote
Speaking of the subject of the thread...if we lose Pacman, we lose a huge headache AND a huge playmaker. really, he's gonna have to lose some of that playmaking ability soon though, right?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While the Bengals could get a good cornerback in the draft there are plenty of good ones which will test the free agency waters this off-season:

Morris Claiborne, Dallas
Josh Norman, Carolina
Janoris Jenkins, St.Louis/Los Angeles
Cortland Finnegan, Carolina

Mo Claiborne has never been good, and Cortland Finnegan was retired (for a good reason) until halfway through this season.  The team will never try for a home run like Morgan, and Jenkins is not even as good as Kirkpatrick.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While the Bengals could get a good cornerback in the draft there are plenty of good ones which will test the free agency waters this off-season:

Morris Claiborne, Dallas
Josh Norman, Carolina

While I see your point about the wealth of CBs that are about to hit FA, I would also remind you that we have some good Safeties on the team that are worth being re-signed.  George Iloka, Reggie Nelson.  For years, this team was considered to be "safety poor", now we have 3 (when you include the emergence of Williams) and I would like to see all of them retained.  Personally, I see both Jones and Hall signing back as Bengals, for modest prices, just because they like being Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 12:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's your opinion. I think Dennard showed well (better than Shaw, even though I think Shaw is a diamond in the rough) and I don't think that CB situation would be "ugly". Dennard was a first round pick for a reason and 1. arguably the best CB prospect in that draft. He just hasn't seen the field much because quality veterans have been ahead of him. 2. He'll shine when he gets the opportunity.

3. DreKirk did a good job this year as well. People are just salty he didn't have any flashy plays. He held down his side of the field though. If DreKirk were as bad as some say, teams would've picked on him left and right. That didn't happen. 

Honestly, people talk this way anytime we let a player go. 4. Letting Joseph walk was supposed to doom our defense. 5. Many weren't happy letting DreKirk take over for Newman. Pacman will be 33 at the start of next season. We have to transition at some point. This team will be fine regardless.

1. But hasn't been the best actual CB in that draft. (And DANG looking back on that draft, the CB spot was really weak.)

2. Said everyone for 3 years about Kirkpatrick.

3. Not saying PFF is the end-all-be-all, or even super accurate, but they had Kirkpatrick with only 2 positive weeks. Kirkpatrick was also 3rd in the entire NFL in penalties, and was heavily picked on.

4. Didn't end up dooming the defense, but it made them spend way too many draft picks and FA $ trying to replace him. Nate Clements, Kelly Jennings, Brandon Ghee, Terence Newman, Jason Allen, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Darqueze Dennard are all efforts to try to replace the position that JJo held.

5. Newman had a better year than Kirkpatrick in 2015.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
As with anything, if the price is right bring him back. Hell, let him return full time and give him Tate's money.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with a player testing the market to do what's best for him and his family. I would expect nothing less. Cincy will probably match the best offer to try to get him back. He's comfortable with our defense and may not want change.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote

Morris Claiborne, Dallas
Josh Norman, Carolina

Patrick Robinson fits our M.O.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What are you talking about?  He's just the bargain that this team was built upon...

What did I say that was wrong?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:50 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Why do so many hate on Kirkpatrick? He played VERY well in a season which was his first as a starter.  Did he make a few mistakes? Sure...you didn't really expect him to play like Darrelle Revis this year, did you? He'll be more than fine as the starter next season.

Lol. Dre is the bottom of barrel as far as defensive backs in the league. I mean has he ever actually turned his head while the ball was in the air? Has he ever not molested who ever he's covering? Has he ever not whiffed on a running back? How many interceptions does he have this year? Why is he targeted? The answer to these questions is what keeps him off my radar.
Reply/Quote
Not sure Pacman and test should be used in the same sentence.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 01:17 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Lol. Dre is the bottom of barrel as far as defensive backs in the league. I mean has he ever actually turned his head while the ball was in the air? Has he ever not molested who ever he's covering? Has he ever not whiffed on a running back? How many interceptions does he have this year? Why is he targeted? The answer to these questions is what keeps him off my radar.

I seriously think I'd take Clew Harris over Kirkpatrick. 

Reply/Quote
Maybe someone should teach him the difference between a Grammy and an Oscar on his way out of town. He's the Jeff George of cornerbacks.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 01:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I seriously think I'd take Clew Harris over Kirkpatrick. 

If that was the guy on AB during the Burfict hit then I don't see why you would even think. Just his coverage on that play determined to me that he and Dennard should be our starters next year. Move Dre to slot or CB#4.
Reply/Quote
With all of the looming free agents, this team is probably going to look quite a bit different.  That may not be a bad thing since they have shown they cannot advance with the team they have now.  I know there are a lot of factors that contribute to that.  Losing Pacman may not be the worst thing to happen.  This team fought long and hard to get away from character issues.  And while Pacman is no where near the troubled Bengals of the past, he has still shown signs of a lack of character at times.  Factor in his age and probably what he will want, and it may just be time to find a replacement.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:19 PM)jowczarski Wrote: But of course, he would like to stay. Knows his window for real money is pretty much this summer.

Do you think that playoff game will hurt his stock?
Reply/Quote
Hall will take a pay cut and Pacman will get a pay raise. They might actually save some money by the end with those two.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 09:53 AM)Synric Wrote: Hall will take a pay cut and Pacman will get a pay raise. They might actually save some money by the end with those two.

I hope you are right. That would be ideal.
Reply/Quote
Jones had a good season, it just ended on a very sour note. Coaches aren't going to look at one moment where he got caught up on the field and say it outweighs a solid season both as a corner and as a returner.

Plus, given the league's changes to make it easier for receivers to catch deep passes, teams need guys like Jones because he can actually cover and tackle. Now, you can't just be a good athlete and use your body to stop the play by flopping around on a receiver.

I think Jones will get another contract here. The team will probably point to the playoffs to keep the dollar down, Jones will probably announce he'll test the free market to get the dollar up.
Reply/Quote
I like older, experienced corners over top draft picks every time. It's one of the positions that usually takes several years to get really good at. Jones has experience and is a great corner and will be very difficult to replace if he walks. I like Dennard, but face it. He's still young with not a lot of experience. Our best corners don't just grow on trees and become great right out of college and few ever do. Dennard and Shaws days will come, but there's still quite a learning curve at the corner position. The same can be said for Kirkpatrick. He's only been the starter for a year and I think he'll improve, but again there's that learning curve.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote