Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmer Is Choking In A Big Game
(01-26-2016, 01:44 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Can't be that hard to find someone who can win a playoff game, can it?  Well, you're not the Browns....so you got that going for ya.
It's impossible to win one if you are not there. 

If you take them individually, his two blown ones were 2009 season and 2013 season.  The two against the Steelers he had a backup QB.  The two against Houston, Houston was hands down better, and in Indy Rex Burkhead was our #1 receiver. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It's impossible to win one if you are not there. 

If you take them individually, his two blown ones were 2009 season and 2013 season.  The two against the Steelers he had a backup QB.  The two against Houston, Houston was hands down better, and in Indy Rex Burkhead was our #1 receiver. 

You don't think his latest debacle against the Steelers isn't a blown one? The Bengals actually WON that one! All they needed to do was burn 1:32 seconds and they had the game won. All Jeremy Hill had to do was NOT FUMBLE! So... how is that game not a blown one?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It's impossible to win one if you are not there. 

And, apparently, it's unlikely to win if Marv Lewis is you head coach....but carry on.

Seriously, as a Steeler fan the only reason they won that playoff game is because Marv Lewis is a bigger dumbass than Mike Tomlin. They are both Mon-Fri mediocre coaches, and Tomlin is probably quite a bit worse because he has HOF QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 05:01 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: And, apparently, it's unlikely to win if Marv Lewis is you head coach....but carry on.

Seriously, as a Steeler fan the only reason they won that playoff game is because Marv Lewis is a bigger dumbass than Mike Tomlin.  They are both Mon-Fri mediocre coaches, and Tomlin is probably quite a bit worse because he has HOF QB.

Yeah, maybe... but you know, Tomlin does have a Superbowl Ring as a head coach.

Just sayin...  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 06:22 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Yeah, maybe... but you know, Tomlin does have a Superbowl Ring as a head coach.

Just sayin...  Whatever

With Bill Cowher's players...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 09:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: With Bill Cowher's players...

Took him four years to do what it took Cowher 14 to do with 'Cowher's players' (go 1-1 in the SB).  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Took him four years to do what it took Cowher 14 to do with 'Cowher's players' (go 1-1 in the SB).  

I assume there is a non-coaching reason the Steelers...GREATEST ORGANIZATION IN SPORTS EVAAAAA won 0 Super Bowls between the Bradshaw and Pig Ben eras.  I doubt Tomlin would have won many Super Bowls with Kordell Stewart.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 12:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I assume there is a non-coaching reason the Steelers...GREATEST ORGANIZATION IN SPORTS EVAAAAA won 0 Super Bowls between the Bradshaw and Pig Ben eras.  I doubt Tomlin would have won many Super Bowls with Kordell Stewart.

Fair enough.  

But bringing that up kind of weakens the 'Tomlin won with Cowher's players' argument.  That argument relies on the premise that Cowher was better at bringing in talent than Tomlin is.  So, you can't say that AND give Cowher a pass for having to work with Stewart at the same time, because Cowher and his regime were the ones responsible for hooking their wagon to Stewart.  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Took him four years to do what it took Cowher 14 to do with 'Cowher's players' (go 1-1 in the SB).  

Tomlin > Cowher (with Cowher's players)  Smirk

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 01:25 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Fair enough.  

But bringing that up kind of weakens the 'Tomlin won with Cowher's players' argument.  That argument relies on the premise that Cowher was better at bringing in talent than Tomlin is.  So, you can't say that AND give Cowher a pass for having to work with Stewart at the same time, because Cowher and his regime were the ones responsible for hooking their wagon to Stewart.  

I wasn't being serious about the "with cowher's players". 

It's why i added the dotdotdot.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 01:25 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Fair enough.  

I'm not saying Dave Shula could have won a Super Bowl with Cowher's players, but if Bill's wife doesn't get terminally ill he doesn't walk away with a championship-caliber team ready made for the next HC.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 09:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: With Bill Cowher's players...

Marvin couldn't win a playoff game "with Bill Cowher's Players".  Wink
Reply/Quote
It's very hard for me to put Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin on the same level. It has nothing to do with my respecting the Steelers. It has more to do with Tomlin having shown that he can be a championship caliber coach.

During Tomlin's reign, he's gone to TWO Superbowls which includes all of the accompanying playoff games needed to win in order to get there. He's won 1 and lost 1. He's shown he has the ability to coach a team into winning the big one or at least getting them into the big one.

Marvin, on the other hand, has shown that he can coach a team into getting into the playoffs consistently (5 in a row now, right?) but fails miserably at actually WINNING even 1 playoff game.

These 2 coaches aren't even close. Yes, both my have player control issues, but what coach doesn't? There's always 1 or 2 idiots on every team that causes problems. But mostly, teams are alike as well as the behavior.

I personally believe that Marvin couldn't win a playoff game with ANY team!

Tomlin, on the other hand, could have coached this past season's Bengal team into the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:20 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: It's very hard for me to put Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin on the same level. It has nothing to do with my respecting the Steelers. It has more to do with Tomlin having shown that he can be a championship caliber coach.

During Tomlin's reign, he's gone to TWO Superbowls which includes all of the accompanying playoff games needed to win in order to get there. He's won 1 and lost 1. He's shown he has the ability to coach a team into winning the big one or at least getting them into the big one.

Marvin, on the other hand, has shown that he can coach a team into getting into the playoffs consistently (5 in a row now, right?) but fails miserably at actually WINNING even 1 playoff game.

These 2 coaches aren't even close. Yes, both my have player control issues, but what coach doesn't? There's always 1 or 2 idiots on every team that causes problems. But mostly, teams are alike as well as the behavior.

Tomlin, on the other hand, could have coached this past season's Bengal team into the Superbowl.

Tomlin can only have success when he's coaching other coach's players...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:20 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: It's very hard for me to put Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin on the same level. It has nothing to do with my respecting the Steelers. It has more to do with Tomlin having shown that he can be a championship caliber coach.

I agree because Marvin just doesn't have what it takes to do whatever it takes to get to the next level, like stepping onto the field in an attempt to trip a player, and you just can't teach that!
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree because Marvin just doesn't have what it takes to do whatever it takes to get to the next level, like stepping onto the field in an attempt to trip a player, and you just can't teach that!

You talking about that Raven's game? When Tomlin accidentally stepped on the field while a Raven's player was running on the sideline?

Yeah, that was unfortunate, but I don't think he did that on purpose. But you think it WAS on purpose but made to look accidental, right? A skillset that you feel Steelers coaches have honed to a razor's edge.

If the coaches are that good, then I don't see them having a problem going 16-0 every single season.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 07:08 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: You talking about that Raven's game? When Tomlin accidentally stepped on the field while a Raven's player was running on the sideline?

Yeah, that was unfortunate, but I don't think he did that on purpose. But you think it WAS on purpose but made to look accidental, right? A skillset that you feel Steelers coaches have honed to a razor's edge.

If the coaches are that good, then I don't see them having a problem going 16-0 every single season.

Fair enough statement.  Now, you take personal bias out of the equation, as everyone knows that you hold the Steelers organization in a very high esteem.  Have even seen the word "respect" thrown around a time or two, in regard to your opinion of that team.

Suppose it was Belichick, or Harbaugh that "accidentally" stepped onto the field of play, and into the path of an opposing player.  Is it still an unfortunate accident, or a calculated move?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 07:08 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: You talking about that Raven's game? When Tomlin accidentally stepped on the field while a Raven's player was running on the sideline?

"Accidentally"?

Players run down the sidelines all the time, so I doubt many coaches, head coaches at that, are startled enough to jump onto the field.  Did he think that Jones was just going to say "screw this touchdown, I'm going to take out Tomlin"?

If he was so afraid, why did he jump ONTO the field instead of AWAY FROM IT?

Does Tomlin watch the big screen on every kickoff?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 10:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: "Accidentally"?

Players run down the sidelines all the time, so I doubt many coaches, head coaches at that, are startled enough to jump onto the field.  Did he think that Jones was just going to say "screw this touchdown, I'm going to take out Tomlin"?

If he was so afraid, why did he jump ONTO the field instead of AWAY FROM IT?

Does Tomlin watch the big screen on every kickoff?

WTF are you  talking about.  Tomlin was on the field (should not have been) watching the screen of the play.  When he realized the play was coming to him he jumped away from the field not further on to it.  

It's in slow-mo for you Brad...That way you can clearly see he jumped away from it...
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 07:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Suppose it was Belichick, or Harbaugh that "accidentally" stepped onto the field of play, and into the path of an opposing player.  Is it still an unfortunate accident, or a calculated move?

He was on the field long before Jones began running the ball back.  Are you saying that Tomlin has some ability to see the future and knew Jones would run the ball that way?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote