Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panic Mode
Bro the thing is how can we be in panic mode? We haven’t won a playoff game in 28 years this is what we’ve been forever now THIS IS WHO WE ARE. The sooner we accept that the easier it is. Sad
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:43 PM)NKURyan Wrote: At the very least I'd expect Billy Price to improve quite a bit in his second year. That alone massively improves the offensive line, because I thought he struggled as much as anybody during his rookie season (not unexpected).

As for Hart, I don't think he's a good player or anything, but with free agency coming before the draft I think sometimes your hands are tied. They may have a plan to draft an OT to start but you can't count on that to be a 100% certainty so you've gotta make sure you have somebody in place. It certainly looks like they overpaid, but then again the market for OTs tends to be pretty stupid anyways.

...and Kat Terrell is the same reporter who swore for months that Hue Jackson as head coach was a done deal. She's as stuck in the 90s and some fans are and I don't really feel she really has much of a feel for what the team does. She can tweet all day long that there's no way the Bengals pay him all that money and don't start him... I'll wait and see, just like I did during the coaching search.

I think concern is reasonable. I think being nervous is understandable. But out-and-out panic after less than 24 hours of free agency? Come on...

And why wouldn't we (the fans) be? The owner showing he doesn't care about winning, not using FA to improve our team, and not winninf playoff games. Seems like THE TEAM is stuck in the 90's
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 9 out of 10 times, you get what you pay for, unfortunately.

Actually a very large percentage of the biggest dollar free agent signings fail.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some folks here are in heaven.  This is just what they dreamed of.

Posting like crazy.  Showing how many clever ways there are to complain.

I'm not surprised some are complaining.  Lack of success can do that to fans.

Tell me something.  How do you feel about the Bengals FA moves thus far?  Would you do things differently, and if so, how?

Additionally, how do you feel about the Browns chances this year?  Do you think they're making the right moves and will finish better than the Bengals?  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Exactly. Some of these contracts are pretty stupid.

You see what other OL have gotten in FA this year, whether by another team or staying with their team, Hart was a steal. If our coaches think they can get him to play better, then I'm on board with it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:49 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not surprised some are complaining.  Lack of success can do that to fans.

Tell me something.  How do you feel about the Bengals FA moves thus far?  Would you do things differently, and if so, how?

Additionally, how do you feel about the Browns chances this year?  Do you think they're making the right moves and will finish better than the Bengals?  

I know you didn't direct that question at me, but I like what we have done so far. Look we ***** about how Dre and his salary is hamstringing us and then we turn around and ***** we didn't spend $11 mil or more for someone. 
As for the Browns, they seem to have been doing alright this offseason, but they also have a rookie HC. Only time will tell if they are better, but I honestly don't think they will. I say that because of all the injuries last season. People fail to realize we were down to 3rd string in a lot of positions and remained competitive.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's great! They totally squandered the Taylor momentum.

I mean even after we couldn't find a DC fans were still rabid.

(03-13-2019, 10:49 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not surprised some are complaining.  Lack of success can do that to fans.

I agree. Complaining should be expected when they sell us a “New Dey” and then deliver us “Yesterdey”. I get that FA is just starting but all players who could make an impact for us are rapidly flying off the market while the only indication that the Bengal front office is even awake is a reported interest in Brandon Marshall.

I would be fine with not throwing money at FA if they would just commit to a true rebuild. Maybe they will but so far there are zero indications that is the plan. So for now it appears to be the same old “go to war with what we have” and add a couple of mediocre FA after the market is picked over.

We’ve all seen that too many times and it hasn’t been successful. Hence the complaining.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:06 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I know you didn't direct that question at me, but I like what we have done so far. Look we ***** about how Dre and his salary is hamstringing us and then we turn around and ***** we didn't spend $11 mil or more for someone. 
As for the Browns, they seem to have been doing alright this offseason, but they also have a rookie HC. Only time will tell if they are better, but I honestly don't think they will. I say that because of all the injuries last season. People fail to realize we were down to 3rd string in a lot of positions and remained competitive.

Yeah the Bengals front office is loaded with geniuses .that's why we are consistently winning every year. Some fans like you must be part of the FO. Why would anyone be happy about losing year after year and doing the same thing as far as free agency because Mike Brown lines his pockets instead of competing for upgrades to a lousy team.
Reply/Quote

My comments were not about fans complaining.  They were about the people who have an unhealthy obsession with whining and crying.  There is one member here who gets so much pleasure from complaining that he has averaged 100 posts a day each of the last two days repeating the same lines over and over again.  That is a post ever 8 minutes for 12 hours each day.

(03-13-2019, 10:49 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Tell me something.  How do you feel about the Bengals FA moves thus far?  Would you do things differently, and if so, how?

I have posted how I feel.  I am disappointed in the Hart contract, but not that upset with anything else.  A large portion of big first day free agent signings fail.  The teams that dump huge money on the top rated free agents often end up having to dump them and eat dead cap space before they play out their contracts.

I want the Bengals to be active in free agency, but I am not a big believer in overpaying to get the highest rated free agents.  My model would be what we did in 2011 when we re-built our defense by signing three ne starters in free agency.  None of them were among the highest paid that their position, but they all had lots of starting experience and solid production.  The problem is that the Bengals often also skip this middle tier of free agents and settle for low rated bargain bin type players. If they do that agin this year I will complain again.  But it will take w while to see who we end up with.

(03-13-2019, 10:49 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Additionally, how do you feel about the Browns chances this year?  Do you think they're making the right moves and will finish better than the Bengals?  

Every year I hear the same thing about how the Browns are going to be winners because of their great offseason moves.  Last year they had a losing record, a 30th ranked defense, and only one victory against a team with a winning record.  Some people act like they were playoff contenders, but I was not that impressed.  

This offseason they have added some players but they also lost an elite OG and replaced him with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.  And they also lost a Pro Bowl level safety in Jamie Collins.
Reply/Quote

This offseason they have added some players but they also lost an elite OG and replaced him with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.  And they also lost a Pro Bowl level safety in Jamie Collins.

Collins was a linebacker and Zietler wasn't lost(like he was in Cincy) he was traded for Collins replacement. With the additions  the Browns were satisfied that they have Zietlers replacement. Upgrade at WR, LB, and DT yes the Browns have improved and the Bengals have stood pat. Tell me again oh exalted one how much we have improved? 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every year I hear the same thing about how the Browns are going to be winners because of their great offseason moves.  Last year they had a losing record, a 30th ranked defense, and only one victory against a team with a winning record.  Some people act like they were playoff contenders, but I was not that impressed.  

Dude, they swept Jeff Driskel last year. JEFF DRISKEL. Their time is clearly now.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:04 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Collins was a linebacker and Zietler wasn't lost(like he was in Cincy) he was traded for Collins replacement. With the additions  the Browns were satisfied that they have Zietlers replacement. Upgrade at WR, LB, and DT yes the Browns have improved and the Bengals have stood pat. Tell me again oh exalted one how much we have improved? 

Tell me why I should wallow in self pity before I even know what we are going to do in free agency.  In 2011 we improved our scoring defense from 24th to 9th thanks to signing 3 new starters in free agency.  And not a single one of those signings occurred in the first two days of free agency.

So excuse me for not breaking down into a squealing crybaby this early in the process.

And why are you praising the Browns for improving their lineup with an OG who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year but not praising the Bengals for improving their LB corps with Malik Jefferson?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 9 out of 10 times, you get what you pay for, unfortunately.

I assume you're speaking of life in general, because that's not how it goes with NFL free agents.  The majority of time the contracts are seen as mistakes because one is paying for PAST performance.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually a very large percentage of the biggest dollar free agent signings fail.

This.

Why I won't ever put too much stake into FA signings.

Let us not forget, Haynesworth and his very, very lucrative contract.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Panic mode is a stretch. We're only two days into the FA signing period. There's still a lot they could do, I suppose. Linebacker is still a position with a decent number of players out there where this team was very weak last year. Many of them slot right into the second and third tier where this team tend to be more active.

Now, if they are looking at the guys on the roster now as the same group of starters from last year, then that's concerning to say the least. The o-line has been terrible for 3 straight seasons. Arguably the weakest link, Hart, is guaranteed to be right back where he was barring injury. Perhaps a major upgrade at RG in the draft would help cover up his lack of talent and discipline.

When Marvin was let go, Mike Brown said something to the effect of "the fans have spoken". He's right. You can bet that they will speak again, maybe even more loudly if this new regime falls on it's face in year one due to having to run the same awful players on the field (Hart, Redmond, any linebacker not named Brown or Vigil). The family seemed to be ready to make some changes to win back some public trust. They've done zero to that effect thus far, but perhaps they're just biding time til the first wave is finalized.

We shall see......
Reply/Quote
I don't want to hear give the new regime a chance or let everything play itself out because we've all watched this movie before and we all know exactly how it ends..The front office don't give a damn about winning it's the truth no getting around it..

How else in the world could you justify treating whit the way they treated him only to overpay hart for pathetic play two years later??We wanna place blame on marvin every chance we get,but tell me who idea was it to absolutely waste a 1st and 2nd round on obghehi and Fisher when we were loaded with talent and could've selected players to further strengthen that roster for win now mode???

Guys I don't see anything different with the way this team is being ran and that should truly trouble each and every Bengals fan;with that being said Mike brown will not get another penny of my money thanks for allowing me to vent...
Reply/Quote
Hindsight is a funny thing. As far as the Whitworth thing is concerned, I suspect many who bash the Bengals for not re-signing their veteran OT are the same fans who bashed the Bengals for re-signing Willie Anderson all those years ago.

It was not their idea to waste a 1st and 2nd round pick. They picked those guys because they figured at least one of them would work out. Many draft gurus had Fisher pegged to go higher than we took him, IIRC. In the end neither worked out and they missed on both, but to suggest that whiffing on these guys was part of some grand plan is pretty ridiculous.

Why do the people who talk about how we've been down this road time and time again and that we know how it will end keep showing up around here? If you have that little faith in them, just move on with your life. Some of you guys act like you're being forced to follow this team at gunpoint lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:30 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Why do the people who talk about how we've been down this road time and time again and that we know how it will end keep showing up around here? If you have that little faith in them, just move on with your life. Some of you guys act like you're being forced to follow this team at gunpoint lol.

We're Bengal fans. Gluts for punishment (obviously). We're all in the same boat. Bickering in the AFCN basement. Some pointing to the bright light at the end of the tunnel, and others heading for the trenches knowing it's a train.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tell me why I should wallow in self pity before I even know what we are going to do in free agency.  In 2011 we improved our scoring defense from 24th to 9th thanks to signing 3 new starters in free agency.  And not a single one of those signings occurred in the first two days of free agency.

So excuse me for not breaking down into a squealing crybaby this early in the process.

And why are you praising the Browns for improving their lineup with an OG who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year but not praising the Bengals for improving their LB corps with Malik Jefferson?

The Bengals got an average free agent eight years ago. Whoop ti do. Doesn't take much to make you happy. I guess the rest of us should follow your lead and wait until next year. Well some of us were expecting a little more than Hart. If you want to be a total ****** go ahead but don't expect every other poster to have their head up their proverbial backsides like you do.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:04 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Dude, they swept Jeff Driskel last year. JEFF DRISKEL. Their time is clearly now.

Yeah and the Bengals had the thirty second rated defense. They have upgraded their d-line and Line backer spots. But we aren't worried we resigned Hart.
Reply/Quote