Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panic Mode
(03-12-2019, 03:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We can't expect Price to improve any more than Ogbuehi or Fisher improved. We can hope, but not expect. 

I get your angle on Hart, but it's hard to imagine the Bengals paying $7.4 million (what I read is Hart's 2019 salary) for a backup Tackle.

IMO, we'll probably draft a Tackle in 2nd or later - given this signing - and develop that guy for later, with Hart starting now. 

Well he's not impressing thus far, and looking at his past performance (Incognito fiasco aside), it's tough to give benefit of the doubt.

Yep. This is pure ecstasy. I'm posting almost as much as you.

I think line coaches tend to overestimate how much better their coaching can make people. Everyone thought Pollack was a miracle worker and the line added several new starters and the results were still bad.

It seems like Turner is doing the same thing.
Reply/Quote
Panic would imply real interest and investment. Right now it's hard to view this team with more than a vague and detached sense, like watching an old video of a sinking ship.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Panic would imply real interest and investment. Right now it's hard to view this team with more than a vague and detached sense, like watching an old video of a sinking ship.

That's great! They totally squandered the Taylor momentum.

I mean even after we couldn't find a DC fans were still rabid.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We can't expect Price to improve any more than Ogbuehi or Fisher improved. We can hope, but not expect. 
Maybe that's the difference between you and me as fans - you hope he will improve but expect the opposite, while I expect him (and all young players) to improve and hope that they don't fall off. I think Price is more likely to improve than not.
Reply/Quote
How many people were posting about Cordy Glenn last year? Probably not many as the trade came pretty much out of left field. We have no idea what the Bengals are or aren't doing right now, and I don't know why you'd panic after 24 hours of free agency. Come back in a week or two, and THEN we'll evaluate how they actually did.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown's legacy will be zero playoff wins. At some point, he should panic about that, right?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown's legacy will be zero playoff wins. At some point, he should panic about that, right?

I guess going into a panic and throwing a financially stupid contract at one of these free agents would change that? 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:32 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Maybe that's the difference between you and me as fans - you hope he will improve but expect the opposite, while I expect him (and all young players) to improve and hope that they don't fall off. I think Price is more likely to improve than not.

It's really hard to say. I'm sure fans hoped for Ced and Fisher to improve but they never did.

Some guys do. Others don't.

Our offensive line looks like it's going to need 4 guys to all improve over their play of last season. Can that happen?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I guess going into a panic and throwing a financially stupid contract at one of these free agents would change that? 

Oh...maybe they should have hired a GM about 20 years ago. There's that.

After 27+ years of no playoff wins, they won't panic. They have their formula for operating the Bengals. They stick to it each year.

The formula basically requires them to hit on A LOT of draft picks to compete.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The formula basically requires them to hit on A LOT of draft picks to compete.

They've done it before.

I know you'll come back with the same thing you always do - "yeah, but did they really? After all, they haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years" - and just ignore the fact that in the last 10 years they've drafted at least 2 Hall of Famers (Green and Atkins for sure), multiple Pro Bowlers, tons of long term starters, the first Bengal to ever lead the conference in rushing, etc, but they've clearly done it before and they can do it again.

Nobody was complaining about this strategy 5 years ago, but gee golly gosh we've gotta whine about something and it's FA season so let's go!
Reply/Quote
I'm not in a panic. We don't even know how Taylor is going to perform as a coach. As we know it, the entire team is different. Dalton could line up at Center, snapping it to Huber for him to bomb it down to Cordy Glenn for all we know.

I'll play it out. The re-signing of Hart was awful though.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: How many people were posting about Cordy Glenn last year? Probably not many as the trade came pretty much out of left field. We have no idea what the Bengals are or aren't doing right now, and I don't know why you'd panic after 24 hours of free agency. Come back in a week or two, and THEN we'll evaluate how they actually did.

That is a fair point. I became numb a few years back so easier to look at things from an objective lens. I hope we do better, but whether it is the hiring of a new coach (I don't assume the new will be better than the old) which was needed and hopefully pans out or signing or trading for key players, may or may not work out I am more even keel in my thought process now. But, I understand the fans who are not, they just want a winner.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 06:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is a fair point. I became numb a few years back so easier to look at things from an objective lens. I hope we do better, but whether it is the hiring of a new coach (I don't assume the new will be better than the old) which was needed and hopefully pans out or signing or trading for key players, may or may not work out I am more even keel in my thought process now. But, I understand the fans who are not, they just want a winner.

Totally understand. I get where most people are coming from and what they want. All I'm saying is that we do need to give them at least a few days before we start grabbing the pitchforks and torches.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 06:35 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Totally understand. I get where most people are coming from and what they want. All I'm saying is that we do need to give them at least a few days before we start grabbing the pitchforks and torches.

Many have lost their patience. MY opinion on why they experience such highs and lows. They were so excited with Taylor hire and ML fired, new blood, new coaching methods they thought would also bring new way of building the team, but it appears same old same old so why they are upset.

I agree with you, let it play out and always time to grab the pitch fork in week 7 of the season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with you, let it play out and always time to grab the pitch fork in week 7 of the season.

Well maybe let's not wait quite THAT long.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown's legacy will be zero playoff wins. At some point, he should panic about that, right?

On the contrary, Mike likely views his legacy as consolidating team ownership, making his kids/grandkids millionaires, and running a profitable business.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
To be fair a lot of the free agents I was interested in that are gone have ended up with pretty large contracts I'm not sure I would have wanted to pay. Maybe front load one big FA while we are working on this next year that way we would have more options in future years.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:17 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair a lot of the free agents I was interested in that are gone have ended up with pretty large contracts I'm not sure I would have wanted to pay. Maybe front load one big FA while we are working on this next year that way we would have more options in future years.

Exactly. Some of these contracts are pretty stupid.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:17 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair a lot of the free agents I was interested in that are gone have ended up with pretty large contracts I'm not sure I would have wanted to pay. Maybe front load one big FA while we are working on this next year that way we would have more options in future years.

9 out of 10 times, you get what you pay for, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote