Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Pass blocking
The line looks better than last year, but if they don't sort it out, it's going to be rough. Joe limping off the field is going to be the norm if they keep giving up that many hits each game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:56 PM)Synric Wrote: I had 2 on Center 2 on Hback and 1 on TE and the one on TE was a coverage sack.

This. Right. Here. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 02:51 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Wasnt the whole talk about drafting Drew Sample last year being how great of a blocker he was?  and how much he could help the running and passing game?  Now people are making excuses that he shouldnt be expected to block a Defensive End?

I don't think you understand football very well.

Gio Bernard got a lot of credit for his good blocking.  Do you think that means he should be able to line up nose to nose with DE and block him?
Reply/Quote
No matter how you explain the sacks. No matter who you blame. Five sacks is still unacceptable.

I have more faith in our O-line this year, but we still have serious pass protection problems.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the biggest improvement with the pass blocking, was simply the play calling. When the deep throws happened, they weren't predictable. It was set up with good runs and underneath routes. On the pass to Chase, the CB was lined up looking into the backfield, either expecting safety help or just not even being prepared for a deep throw. It was a really nice change to see the team doing things that kept the defense honest.

I said it last year, and I'll say it again....all about that run game baby. When we can actually run the ball, it opens up the playbook immensely. Just look at the game winning toss to Uzomah off play action for just one example. If they can continue to pound the rock at least a little every week, they could be very dangerous. Probably not a Super Bowl threat dangerous, but a spoiler here and there.... winning a few in the process.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you understand football very well.

Gio Bernard got a lot of credit for his good blocking.  Do you think that means he should be able to line up nose to nose with DE and block him?

Yeah, either bad play design, or there was a check at the line that was not picked up on that one.

(09-13-2021, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No matter how you explain the sacks.  No matter who you blame.  Five sacks is still unacceptable.

I have more faith in our O-line this year, but we still have serious pass protection problems.

Agreed here as well.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No matter how you explain the sacks.  No matter who you blame.  Five sacks is still unacceptable.

That's the thing - if you don't get more specific then you can't correct. Hopkins had a terrible game and they need to be ready to sit him in favor of Hill if he shows like that again. But the Tackles were flawless and the Guards stout. The big issues were Burrow taking too long on some plays but much more that Perine, Mixon and Sample all whiffed on pass protection assignments. 

What is the takeaway? They need to work hard on correct pickup of rushers by the backs. And probably Perine needs to be demoted to RB3 and Evans made RB2 as we saw in preseason and camp he has some ability in this area. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you understand football very well.

Silly comparison. Gio isn’t 6’4 260.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Silly comparison. Gio isn’t 6’4 260.

Tell that to every NFL coach.  I don't know any of them that put a TE on an island against a DE in pass protection.  Even OTs have problems stopping the bull rush from some of these guys.
Reply/Quote
i can only imagine the butt chewing from zimmer those guys got... after 200ish penalty yards
Reply/Quote

You must not have played football or understand the concepts.  A tight end and running back are not the same position and the physcial make up of these players is greatly different.  They are expected to do very different things.  Tight ends typically line up close to the line of scrimmage and are often times tasked with blocking defensive ends.  Running backs are hardly ever used in such a manner.  Every single week in the NFL you will see Tight Ends on the line of scrimmage at some point having the job of blocking defensive ends.  It's very common
Reply/Quote