Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots Not Considering Dalton
(03-22-2020, 01:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Here’s hoping ours is.

Well hopefully it's both, but yes.  Hell, seeing the Browns beat the Steelers once got me all fired up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 01:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well hopefully it's both, but yes.  Hell, seeing the Browns beat the Steelers once got me all fired up.

I actually hope the Pats finally fall off a bit. It will be much more interesting if the AFC playoffs don’t automatically run through NE every single year.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 01:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I actually hope the Pats finally fall off a bit. It will be much more interesting if the AFC playoffs don’t automatically run through NE every single year.

I hear ya, I just wouldn't mind seeing the Pats have more SBs than the Steelers.  But I'm from and spent most of my life surrounded by Steelers fans so I'm a little more into their demise than others.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, there are a few guys left out there.  One that I would really like to see the Bengals make a play for, is Markus Golden.  He's an OLB/Edge rusher.  He suffered an ACL back in 2017, but appears to have made a full comeback.  

Last year he put up 72 tackles, 10 sacks, 27 QB hits, 13 TFL, and returned one fumble for TD.

Originally drafted by the Cardinals, he looked to be emerging into stardom before the ACL slowed him up.  The Giants signed him to a 1 yr deal, and he did fantastic.  He's the type of LB/Edge defender the Bengals will be needing in their 3-4 hybrid style defense.  In order to make a serious play for Golden, the Bengals would likely need to have either Dalton's or one of the CB's salary off of the books for this season.  I'm thinking that Golden will be looking for a long term deal with significant guaranteed money.

Then let's cut Dalton or Dre and get this going !
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:41 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: Granted there is no idiot Hugh Jacksons out there right now

Clearly, sir, you are not at all familiar with the GM exploits of one Bill O'Brien for the Houston Texans.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

The smart thing to do would have been to trade him before the deadline. But.......they decided it would be better to at least try to win a couple games in 2019 rather than look down the road. 

Now it appears they've basically painted themselves into a corner with him. Their only card left may be the hope they can trade him due to injury ?

That said I'm not opposed to just cutting him.

I thought another option to help unloading him was to eat some of his salary to sweeten the deal.... 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:38 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/22/report-patriots-not-discussing-andy-dalton/

According to PFT, Dalton is not and never has been under consideration by the Patriots.

If true, then it looks at this point like we'll be releasing Andy unless we work out a trade with one of the few teams that still need a QB.  Maybe the Jags?

I don't buy this at all...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's an interesting perspective.  Personally, I have trouble envisioning Bill B. getting along well enough with a rather flamboyant personality like Cam Newton.  I mean, I just couldn't imagine Bill B. being comfortable with his franchise QB coming out to a post game presser wearing something like a purple leisure suit and hat made for the ladies at the Kentucky Derby..   LOL

Most people are saying this about Cam. It is true about his flamboyance.  What I keep sayng in response is people act differently when they get to NE.  And I'm pretty sure a potential NE signee gets a little talk about such things before he even signs just so there is no mystery.  A lot of goofy people only act that way because they're allowed to.  If Cam has to choose between funky clothes and continuing his career, what is his likely choice?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:50 PM)McC Wrote: Most people are saying this about Cam. It is true about his flamboyance.  What I keep sayng in response is people act differently when they get to NE.  And I'm pretty sure a potential NE signee gets a little talk about such things before he even signs just so there is no mystery.  A lot of goofy people only act that way because they're allowed to.  If Cam has to choose between funky clothes and continuing his career, what is his likely choice?

Bill isn't really the most professionally dressed press conference talkin' guy.

[Image: EMAr30NWsAA9Uxd?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: screen-shot-2016-09-20-at-11-34-16-am.jp...600&crop=1]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bill isn't really the most professionally dressed press conference talkin' guy.

[Image: EMAr30NWsAA9Uxd?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: screen-shot-2016-09-20-at-11-34-16-am.jp...600&crop=1]

That is true.  LOL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, there are a few guys left out there.  One that I would really like to see the Bengals make a play for, is Markus Golden.  He's an OLB/Edge rusher.  He suffered an ACL back in 2017, but appears to have made a full comeback.  

Last year he put up 72 tackles, 10 sacks, 27 QB hits, 13 TFL, and returned one fumble for TD.

Originally drafted by the Cardinals, he looked to be emerging into stardom before the ACL slowed him up.  The Giants signed him to a 1 yr deal, and he did fantastic.  He's the type of LB/Edge defender the Bengals will be needing in their 3-4 hybrid style defense.  In order to make a serious play for Golden, the Bengals would likely need to have either Dalton's or one of the CB's salary off of the books for this season.  I'm thinking that Golden will be looking for a long term deal with significant guaranteed money.

I couldn't agree more.

I would also add Daryl Williams, T/G who appears to not be going back to Carolina. We also need a LB room. Derek Wolfe would still be a good add. 
Reply/Quote

I am also all on board for bringing Golden in.

Cut Dre, trade Dalton for Thuney, Wynn or a LB and bring in Golden would be my play.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:40 AM)Jeaux Smooth Wrote: Mariota signed with Oakland. That said, Jags would not have traded Foles if they wanted another big money qb in the room. They are all in with Minshew Mania.

That's pretty much how I've been seeing this all along too. The Jags are an unlikely landing spot. 

However, and maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, maybe it was driven by Jay Gruden being their new OC. Maybe we didn't lower our price to the 4th rounder Chicago gave to Jax because we knew Jax was interested. Maybe Jax needs to trade Ngakoue before they can add Dalton (they ate a lot of Foles's salary after all). 

Of course, they wouldn't give up much more for Dalton than they got in the Foles trade, which apparently wouldn't be enough for us. There was a rumor (from back during the season, and it was probably more speculation on the part of a beat reporter) that they might want to trade either Andrew Norwell or Brandon Linder, both of whom would be an upgrade at guard for us. Norwell is from Cincy. I'm wondering about Dalton for either one of those guys plus some sort of swap of day 3 picks. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't buy this at all...

Could be smoke and mirrors.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Could be smoke and mirrors.

I think it is even if the Patriots just added Brian Hoyer, he is just a back up QB.

I think we see a player for player trade to the Pats soon. Would be pretty sad to just cut Dalton.

They said they wanted to treat Dalton well, just cutting him isn't cool.
Reply/Quote
Well the Patriots just signed Hoyer, which I figured would happen.

I don't think they'd do that if they had Dalton in mind. The Dalton to the Patriots stuff was always just Peter King's speculation, I'm not sure there was ever real substance to it.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:59 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I couldn't agree more.

I would also add Daryl Williams, T/G who appears to not be going back to Carolina. We also need a LB room. Derek Wolfe would still be a good add. 

Daryl Williams could be a really good pickup.  He was firmly established on the Panther OL before the MCL cost him all but one game of 2018.  He seems to have recovered, as he played in all 16 games this season, starting 12 of them.

Williams is coming off of his rookie deal, so he is likely looking for a long term deal.  Bobby Hart is coming into the 2nd year of his 3 year deal, and would count $2M in dead cap to get rid of.  The team seems to love Hart's upside of being a "work in progress" that is still only 25 y/o and now having 5 years of experience as a pro.  

Fans like us can easily see that Williams is clearly the better talent of the two, but getting rid of Hart seems to be a hard sell to the team.

Edit: I realize that this is, yet another, Andy Dalton thread, and that a few of us have drifted way off topic in this thread about Andy Dalton. However with all things related to the team being somewhat interdependent upon other actions taking place right now, I kind of feel like we can be excused for this minor atrocity.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it is even if the Patriots just added Brian Hoyer, he is just a back up QB.

I think we see a player for player trade to the Pats soon. Would be pretty sad to just cut Dalton.

They said they wanted to treat Dalton well, just cutting him isn't cool.

Looks like we were posting about this at the same time. Agreed that Hoyer is backup calibre, but a move I don't think they make if they were figuring on Dalton. It may really be that Belichick knows he's rebuilding anyway, so he wants to use his resources to surround whomever plays QB with talent. 

I also agree they've done Dalton wrong. Not just cutting him, but cutting him when most of the starting jobs are spoken for. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Daryl Williams could be a really good pickup.  He was firmly established on the Panther OL before the MCL cost him all but one game of 2018.  He seems to have recovered, as he played in all 16 games this season, starting 12 of them.

Williams is coming off of his rookie deal, so he is likely looking for a long term deal.  Bobby Hart is coming into the 2nd year of his 3 year deal, and would count $2M in dead cap to get rid of.  The team seems to love Hart's upside of being a "work in progress" that is still only 25 y/o and now having 5 years of experience as a pro.  

Fans like us can easily see that Williams is clearly the better talent of the two, but getting rid of Hart seems to be a hard sell to the team.

I was thinking of Williams at RG, but a guy who can slide out to tackle in an emergency. He played a lot of guard this year in Carolina. 

Sua-Filo would then compete with Jordan at LG, and is making back up salary anyway. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:46 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I was thinking of Williams at RG, but a guy who can slide out to tackle in an emergency. He played a lot of guard this year in Carolina. 

Sua-Filo would then compete with Jordan at LG, and is making back up salary anyway. 

Hmm, a guy that looked really good at Tackle in 2017, I gotta believe that is really where he wants to be playing, at Tackle.  Obviously, he probably wants to remain a pro football player more than he want to hold onto the pride of being an NFL Tackle, I can remember plenty of drafted Tackles that were reinvented as Top-Notch Guards in the NFL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote