Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots Not Considering Dalton
(03-22-2020, 06:52 PM)Earendil Wrote: Why are we paying any attention to Florio and his goons?

That's why I said ...If true....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I guess it's not beyond the realm of possibility some team's starting QB suddenly comes down with the current pandemic causing thingie.. Not to be political or anything, but there have already been people getting...uhhh...sick.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Even if the Patriots wanted Dalton, they're going to say they don't. So this is a non-story IMO.

Regardless of what people say, the Patriots aren't going into 2020 with Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham as the only competition at QB.

It is very possible that the Patriots have no interest in Dalton for a draft pick and $18 million though. If so, they'll put out word that they have "zero interest".

Of course, it's also possible that the Pats want to draft a guy like Herbert. Who knows?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think Daltons lack of playoff wins has teams thinking
Twice about him.at the moment
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:42 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That's why I said ...If true....

I didn't mean to specifically call you out. My apologies if I came across that way.
Reply/Quote
I don’t like the way the Bengals have handled this issue with Andy Dalton. They should have acted on it much earlier than this. They may end up keeping him now at a discount. Although at some point there will be a team in desperate need of a quarterback. Maybe then something will work out. I am probably one of the few, But I still think Dolegala has potential. He in fact would be my back up quarterback. I would feel comfortable with that. But I guess we’ll see what happens.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton's value was at it's highest at the trade deadline.

It's simple supply and demand. Coupled with the urgency of in-season contenders, this was your best time to move him. A team desperately trying to get in the playoffs has little to no options at the deadline to snag a competent QB.

Now? You've got 4 guys projected to go in the first round, and a few others right behind them in the 2nd-3rd. You've got a free agency class and trade bait of 7 legitimate starters.

What was a market on 1 or 2 guys in-season who could step in and potentially start is now a market of 12-15 guys who you could make a run at to potentionally start in 2020.

They chose to wait. For whatever reason, they felt keeping Dalton on a 0-10 team after he had already been demoted was the correct play. They chose wrong.

The good news? At we didn't make any teams better at the deadline. Yeah, a 2nd or 3rd would be nice right now. But we stuck to our principles. So that's to be commended. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Andy Dalton's value was at it's highest at the trade deadline.

It's simple supply and demand. Coupled with the urgency of in-season contenders, this was your best time to move him.  A team desperately trying to get in the playoffs has little to no options at the deadline to snag a competent QB.

Now? You've got 4 guys projected to go in the first round, and a few others right behind them in the 2nd-3rd.  You've got a free agency class and trade bait of 7 legitimate starters.

What was a market on 1 or 2 guys in-season who could step in and potentially start is now a market of 12-15 guys who you could make a run at to potentionally start in 2020.

They chose to wait. For whatever reason, they felt keeping Dalton on a 0-10 team after he had already been demoted was the correct play.  They chose wrong.

The good news?  At we didn't make any teams better at the deadline. Yeah, a 2nd or 3rd would be nice right now. But we stuck to our principles. So that's to be commended.  Nervous

People keep talking about how he should have been traded last year but nobody ever says who they could have traded  him to.  Who were these teams who wanted him last year?  I don't recall any teams in the playoff hunt making any trades for a QB last year or even any talk about a team that wanted /needed him.  The way I understand it, trades require two teams.

People also say AJ should have been traded last year at the deadline. When has anybody ever made a deadline trade for a guy who is injured with no idea when he'll even return?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:16 PM)McC Wrote: People keep talking about how he should have been traded last year but nobody ever says who they could have traded  him to.  Who were these teams who wanted him last year?  I don't recall any teams in the playoff hunt making any trades for a QB last year or even any talk about a team that wanted /needed him.  The way I understand it, trades require two teams.

People also say AJ should have been traded last year at the deadline.  When has anybody ever made a deadline trade for a guy who is injured with no idea when he'll even return?

Too much common sense in this post...
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:16 PM)McC Wrote: People keep talking about how he should have been traded last year but nobody ever says who they could have traded  him to.  Who were these teams who wanted him last year?  I don't recall any teams in the playoff hunt making any trades for a QB last year or even any talk about a team that wanted /needed him.  The way I understand it, trades require two teams.

People also say AJ should have been traded last year at the deadline.  When has anybody ever made a deadline trade for a guy who is injured with no idea when he'll even return?

Agree 100% McC!

AJ hasn't played in 1.5 years and the fans still feel as if we could trade him for a 1st rounder?! Lmao

And, all the speculation about NE, I wouldn't put it past BB that he would take a chance on a kid like Jalen Hurts at the top of the 2nd round after he trades out of the 1st round as usual, to run with him. He probably feels they could win with a successful RPO QB from Alabama and Oklahoma just as easily as we could win with Burrow as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:43 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Agree 100% McC!

AJ hasn't played in 1.5 years and the fans still feel as if we could trade him for a 1st rounder?! Lmao

And, all the speculation about NE, I wouldn't put it past BB that he would take a chance on a kid like Jalen Hurts at the top of the 2nd round after he trades out of the 1st round as usual, to run with him. He probably feels they could win with a successful RPO QB from Alabama and Oklahoma just as easily as we could win with Burrow as a rookie.

I like Jalen Hurts but he turns the ball over all the time and BB will not tolerate that. I am expecting more like an Eason pick.
Reply/Quote

It's logical to think we could have traded Dalton to Gruden in DC when Alex Smith went down. 

What is so bleh about this situation is that Dalton went into 2019 as our unquestioned starter who was going to finally hit his ceiling thsnks to offensive genius ZT and by the bye week Dalton had to go and he had zero value.  Bogus. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Jalen Hurts but he turns the ball over all the time and BB will not tolerate that. I am expecting more like an Eason pick.

For Alabama's NatL Championship team, he had 19 TD's and only 1 INT. 855 Rushing yards.

Maybe it's just the system you put him in?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Jalen Hurts but he turns the ball over all the time and BB will not tolerate that. I am expecting more like an Eason pick.

Off topic, I know, but PJ Walker signing with the Panthers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:23 PM)McC Wrote: Off topic, I know, but PJ Walker signing with the Panthers.

Also off topic, for one more pertinent to the Bengals LB situation, the Panthers are signing Whitehead for 1 year, 2.5 Mill.

Why the hell couldn't we sign him for that kind of money??? He had back to back 100 tackle seasons with the Raiders. I think Vigil would be asking for more than that on the market right?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:10 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: For Alabama's NatL Championship team, he had 19 TD's and only 1 INT. 855 Rushing yards.

Maybe it's just the system you put him in?

Definitely has a lot to do with it but Jalen's biggest problems are fumbling and being inaccurate.

Other traits I don't see fitting with what Billy B likes in a QB.

(03-23-2020, 02:23 PM)McC Wrote: Off topic, I know, but PJ Walker signing with the Panthers.

Lets bring in Ta'amu. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:48 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Also off topic, for one more pertinent to the Bengals LB situation, the Panthers are signing Whitehead for 1 year, 2.5 Mill.

Why the hell couldn't we sign him for that kind of money??? He had back to back 100 tackle seasons with the Raiders. I think Vigil would be asking for more than that on the market right?

Head scratcher for sure. Always liked Whitehead and that is DIRT cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's logical to think we could have traded Dalton to Gruden in DC when Alex Smith went down. 

What is so bleh about this situation is that Dalton went into 2019 as our unquestioned starter who was going to finally hit his ceiling thsnks to offensive genius ZT and by the bye week Dalton had to go and he had zero value.  Bogus. 

That’s my opinion, too. The front office didn’t figure out Andy wasn’t a franchise QB until 2019?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Jalen Hurts but he turns the ball over all the time and BB will not tolerate that. I am expecting more like an Eason pick.

Hurts has a very weak arm, IMO. I don’t see him planning out. I could see the Patriots going with Eason or Love if he somehow falls.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 07:16 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Hurts has a very weak arm, IMO. I don’t see him planning out. I could see the Patriots going with Eason or Love if he somehow falls.

See that as well with Hurts Pat.

Yes on Eason, no on Love. Love throws interceptions a lot. He does have one hell of an arm though.

But as we have seen that mostly doesn't matter. Have to be accurate and not throw ints especially with Billy B.
Reply/Quote