Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
(03-21-2020, 08:37 PM)phil413 Wrote: They can play this out til a team needs a qb after a camp (whenever that is now) injury, but how easy is it for a team to fit Andy's deal.  

The farthest it could realistically go is right after the draft.  Maybe the Chargers get leaped for Hebert or the Pats come back to the table for a low pick.  I'm not convinced they're content with Hoyer/Stidham.  Same with Winston, if his price comes down you'd have to consider it even if he isnt an ideal fit.  

One thing I do know, cutting him without the pick sucks but the FO is showing they will use that 17M to improve the team.  They also arent giving tons of backloaded guaranteed money.

Plus keeping Dalton around is a disservice to him which they said they didn't want to do.

I still think something is in the works behind the scenes between NE and the Bengals and we just aren't in the know.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: i agree, but many fans do not in fear AD may beat out Burrow for starting job.

If he stays, Bengals have best back up QB in league whether it is AD or JB

[Image: giphy.gif]

Literally NOBODY fears that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Literally NOBODY fears that.
Nor has anybody ever said anything anything even close to that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus keeping Dalton around is a disservice to him which they said they didn't want to do.

I still think something is in the works behind the scenes between NE and the Bengals and we just aren't in the know.

Yeah, hopefully you're right.  I held that thought in a Dalton for Thuney swap, even giving up a low pick if need be, but I don't know anymore.  Fitting his deal shouldn't take long, but negotiating extension(s) would.  If there is Dalton interest, with limited alternatives for NE and Mikey's stubborn history I'm not shocked that we are here.  The Hoyer/Stidham plan is nonsense IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus keeping Dalton around is a disservice to him which they said they didn't want to do.

I certainly hope you’re right. I think Andy Dalton would excel in Bill Belichick’s system. He even gets the ball out a hair faster than Tom Brady: 2.55 seconds vs. 2.62 seconds and he’s far more mobile than Brady as well.

With that said, my fear is the Bengals will either make Andy Dalton back up Joe Burrow or cut him outright and he’ll be out of the NFL at age 32. Mike Brown’s infamous loyalty doesn’t seem to apply here unless loyalty in this case is keeping Andy around just to hold the SurfacePro.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I certainly hope you’re right. I think Andy Dalton would excel in Bill Belichick’s system.  He even gets the ball out a hair faster than Tom Brady: 2.55 seconds vs. 2.62 seconds and he’s far more mobile than Brady as well.

With that said, my fear is the Bengals will either make Andy Dalton back up Joe Burrow or cut him outright and he’ll be out of the NFL at age 32.  Mike Brown’s infamous loyalty doesn’t seem to apply here unless loyalty in this case is keeping Andy around just to hold the SurfacePro.

If we cut Dalton some team will pick him up as a backup, particularly since milquetoast never-was Tannehill and Nick "can only win off the bench" Foles have been such successful fill-in stories as of late.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Jags are not going to bring on Dalton to back up or compete with Minshew.

Bengals screwed this up royally.

Are we sure the Bengals screwed this up? Or is it possible that other teams simply low-balled the Bengals? I don’t know what some people think we can get for him, but Dalton hasn’t played all that well the past 4 years. Be it injuries to himself, his receivers, his Oline or the rotating door at the OC position... point is, Dalton is nowhere near his 2015 self. For one reason or another. Other teams know that.

If I’m another teams GM, I’m not offering much more than a 4th rounder for Dalton. On the other hand, if I’m the Bengals, if teams are only offering me 5th and later rounders, I’m turning the offers down.

Granted, I don’t know the details of what went down with Chicago acquiring Foles over Dalton. I don’t know who offered what or who low-baller whom. Personally, I think the Bears made the right choice.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I certainly hope you’re right. I think Andy Dalton would excel in Bill Belichick’s system. He even gets the ball out a hair faster than Tom Brady: 2.55 seconds vs. 2.62 seconds and he’s far more mobile than Brady as well.

With that said, my fear is the Bengals will either make Andy Dalton back up Joe Burrow or cut him outright and he’ll be out of the NFL at age 32. Mike Brown’s infamous loyalty doesn’t seem to apply here unless loyalty in this case is keeping Andy around just to hold the SurfacePro.

I thought they were focusing on trading Dalton to a team he was comfortable with, or some BS like that Whatever
Reply/Quote
CBS is saying the Pats are not interested in Dalton
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-arent-considering-andy-dalton-as-a-replacement-for-tom-brady-per-report/

Jags?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: CBS is saying the Pats are not interested in Dalton
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-arent-considering-andy-dalton-as-a-replacement-for-tom-brady-per-report/

Jags?

It's not really surprising.   I've been kinda shaking my head at the very notion for awhile now.  After all, how many picks did Dalton throw against them just this year to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?  One would think that most recent up close look at him would be pretty fresh in their minds.  The whole Dalton to the Pats idea was probably just a media invention all along.

If Bill is anxious to prove the genius is more his than Brady's, well he's gonna have that chance because QB-wise, they are sitting there right now screwed, blued and tattooed, as they used to say.

Just release him now and let him go look for a backup job or get on with the rest of his life if he so chooses and take those millions and go back to shopping.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: CBS is saying the Pats are not interested in Dalton

Jags?

Womp womp...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:05 AM)McC Wrote: It's not really surprising.   I've been kinda shaking my head at the very notion for awhile now.  After all, how many picks did Dalton throw against them just this year to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?  One would think that most recent up close look at him would be pretty fresh in their minds.  The whole Dalton to the Pats idea was probably just a media invention all along.

If Bill is anxious to prove the genius is more his than Brady's, well he's gonna have that chance because QB-wise, they are sitting there right now screwed, blued and tattooed, as they used to say.

Just release him now and let him go look for a backup job or get on with the rest of his life if he so chooses and take those millions and go back to shopping.

As I have already mentioned, gotta hold him now and hope for a QB injury. That's terrible energy to put out there, but it's what we may need to happen. 
I could see a Fitz injury sending him to Miami. Perhaps a Brady injury sends him to Tampa? Maybe Jax? Maybe New Orleans?  Still a ways to go with the draft still looming.
Reply/Quote
Dalton was never a world-beater as a QB, but it's a bit of a bummer we've had such lousy coaching since 2015 on the offensive side of the ball that not only made us watch 4 years of losing football, but may have severely damaged Dalton's trade potential.

I know I sound like I'm just excusing the guy and he's complicit and all, but he took a team-friendly deal unlike Carsick Palmoil and we repaid him by giving him garbage coaching, a lousy o-line, and sending his career on a nosedive. That's not a great message to send to QBs.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:31 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As I have already mentioned, gotta hold him now and hope for a QB injury. That's terrible energy to put out there, but it's what we may need to happen. 
I could see a Fitz injury sending him to Miami. Perhaps a Brady injury sends him to Tampa? Maybe Jax? Maybe New Orleans?  Still a ways to go with the draft still looming.

Brady has been injured like once in 20 years. Saints have Taysom Hill. We’re going to have to just end up cutting Dalton. It would be beyond stupid to pay a backup QB almost 18 million dollars.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton was never a world-beater as a QB, but it's a bit of a bummer we've had such lousy coaching since 2015 on the offensive side of the ball that not only made us watch 4 years of losing football, but may have severely damaged Dalton's trade potential.

I know I sound like I'm just excusing the guy and he's complicit and all, but he took a team-friendly deal unlike Carsick Palmoil and we repaid him by giving him garbage coaching, a lousy o-line, and sending his career on a nosedive. That's not a great message to send to QBs.

Eh, guys like Boyd and Mixon somehow managed to overcome bad coaching and put up decent stats. Dalton is just not that good unless everything around him is perfect.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady has been injured like once in 20 years. Saints have Taysom Hill. We’re going to have to just end up cutting Dalton. It would be beyond stupid to pay a backup QB almost 18 million dollars.

I'd agree it would be stupid if we could get anything for him, but if we are faced with cutting Dalton and putting Finley, or Dolegala, or a 10 million dollar ho-hum vet behind Burrow I'd just stick with Dalton for a year.

Andy is a team-player (to a fault, it seems) and I think he'd legit help Burrow and developing Burrow is our 15+ year investment.  So Dalton for a year could help Burrow more than a few late free agent guys on a 2-14 team.

It just kinda sucks we're gonna cut Dalton for nothing and he's going to go to the scrapheap when Palmer threw a fit and he got rewarded by getting starting gigs for the next 6 years and we got a 1st and 2nd pick for it.  Nice guys finish last?  Hell, this doesn't even help us....bogus.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, guys like Boyd and Mixon somehow managed to overcome bad coaching and put up decent stats. Dalton is just not that good unless everything around him is perfect.

Well if Hue Jackson was the perfect OC then my complaints about this coaching staff are even more valid than I thought.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well if Hue Jackson was the perfect OC then my complaints about this coaching staff are even more valid than I thought.

Not just talking about coaching, although Hue and Jay were pretty good OC’s. Dalton needs the AJ, Whit, Pro Bowl Eifert type players around him to be anything more than average.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not just talking about coaching, although Hue and Jay were pretty good OC’s. Dalton needs the AJ, Whit, Pro Bowl Eifert type players around him to be anything more than average.

I don't disagree, but QBs who can find their arses with both hands get big trade deals all the time.  Sam Bradford was traded from Philly to the Vikings for a 1st round pick, for example.  If we get nothing for Dalton it's mostly due to the QB market being insanely fluid this year and if it's Cincy or nothing I say keep him here.

Use his nice-guy faults against him once again to help Burrow.  Helping Burrow is the most important thing there is.  Our 2020 salary cap and win total are below the priority of setting Burrow up for success.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't disagree, but QBs who can find their arses with both hands get big trade deals all the time.  Sam Bradford was traded from Philly to the Vikings for a 1st round pick, for example.  If we get nothing for Dalton it's mostly due to the QB market being insanely fluid this year and if it's Cincy or nothing I say keep him here.

Use his nice-guy faults against him once again to help Burrow.  Helping Burrow is the most important thing there is.  Our 2020 salary cap and win total are below the priority of setting Burrow up for success.

Well, personally I don’t want a Dalton 2.0 with Burrow. In fact, I hope he’s nothing like Dalton. The ah shucks nice guy routine is great for the church choir, but it’s not the type of leader I want on my football team.

Burrow also grew up in a football family, including a father who’s a coach. I don’t think he needs a whole lot of “mentoring.”

Reply/Quote