Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
(03-21-2020, 05:56 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Can you be more specific than "word on the web"? 

The reason I have a tough time believing it is that they took an 18.75M cap hit when they traded Foles, for a late 4th rounder. And now they'll spend another 17.7M on Dalton? And they'd give up something better than that 4th rounder (because they'd have to, or we wouldn't do the deal; we obviously could've shipped Dalton to the Bears for that late 4th and said no). 

Could've sent him to the Bears?  Damn.  Shoulda made that happen.  Seems like getting the money off the books is more important than what the pick is, especially since just cutting him seems like such a distinct possibility. A 4th round pick beats no pick at all. If the rumor of the Bengals asking for a second rounder is true, it seems like a pipe dream unless somebody loses their starter and that wouldn't even happen until TC at the earliest.

As to Jax trading for Dalton, couldn't they redo his deal to make it doable?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:00 PM)McC Wrote: Could've sent him to the Bears?  Damn.  Shoulda made that happen.  Seems like getting the money off the books is more important than what the pick is, especially since just cutting him seems like such a distinct possibility.  A 4th round pick beats no pick at all.  If the rumor of the Bengals asking for a second rounder seems like a pipe dream unless somebody loses their starter and that wouldn't even happen until TC at the earliest.

As to Jax trading for Dalton, couldn't they redo his deal to make it doable?

Yes, any team can redo the deal. This is why the cap hit thing is something of a chimera.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There's now rumblings they could sign Brian Hoyer, who was released by the Colts...and Pats reporter Jeff Howe is saying Andy isn't even a part of the discussions right now for NE.

Quite the diss.

Honestly I am offended for Andy's sake. Whatever
Reply/Quote
As of now, it appears that the Bengals royally misplayed this. While I have no insider information, it seems that they could've gotten the same 4th round pick for Dalton that the Bears gave up for Foles. Obviously they didn't feel that was enough.

I'd say that any team that may have any interest will wait until after the draft and for the Bengals to just cut Andy. Last year at the deadline was the time to deal him. Now it would appear that cutting him is their only option.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:40 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: As of now, it appears that the Bengals royally misplayed this. While I have no insider information, it seems that they could've gotten the same 4th round pick for Dalton that the Bears gave up for Foles. Obviously they didn't feel that was enough.

I'd say that any team that may have any interest will wait until after the draft and for the Bengals to just cut Andy. Last year at the deadline was the time to deal him. Now it would appear that cutting him is their only option.

That would hardly qualify as doing right by him when you consider that all the starting QB jobs are now taken.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:40 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: As of now, it appears that the Bengals royally misplayed this. While I have no insider information, it seems that they could've gotten the same 4th round pick for Dalton that the Bears gave up for Foles. Obviously they didn't feel that was enough.

Bengals have all the way to to week 1 and game 1 to trade/cut AD.

Bengals gain nothing right now (cap wise) by cutting AD. 

So, I say be patient and see what happens. Why panic? Why cut him for nothing when nothing to gain?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:45 PM)McC Wrote: That would hardly qualify as doing right by him when you consider that all the starting QB jobs are now taken.

All taken? Or are team like Jags, Chargers and Pats playing possum. Are Redskins happy really?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All taken? Or are team like Jags, Chargers and Pats playing possum. Are Redskins happy really?

Chargers are pretending they're gonna start Tyrod until they draft Herbert or Love or even Tua if he falls.  Skins are gonna roll with Haskins unless they draft a guy. 

Jags have Mustache on a rookie deal since they have no chance as the fourth best team in a four team division and a shaky cap situation.  Of all the teams you mention, the Jags seem the biggest possibility but if the Bengals are holding out for a second rounder they are kidding themselves. 

And I believe the Pats don't even have a second rounder and I believe their cap situation is not good either.

Reply/Quote
Dalton just really isn't that good. It's obvious time and time again. I understand though. I over value some players too...
Reply/Quote
Jags are not going to bring on Dalton to back up or compete with Minshew.

Bengals screwed this up royally.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 09:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Aye, you have been around. I was on go-bengals.com too but just too damn vulgar for me lol Hilarious

Ya the smack talk got brutal lol... I been on that board since 2003 when it started but alot are done and over now.. I remember going to jungle noise when it was just a page where people left a comment. No forum or sub-forums lol...
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Jags are not going to bring on Dalton to back up or compete with Minshew.

Bengals screwed this up royally.

I don't see it either, plus wanting a 2nd for Dalton when the one team that really needs a QB in New England doesn't even have
a second round pick is just plain dumb. Take what you can for Dalton and put him in the best situation you know....

Just like you said you would. :andy:

(03-21-2020, 07:06 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya the smack talk got brutal lol... I been on that board since 2003 when it started but alot are done and over now.. I remember going to jungle noise when it was just a page where people left a comment. No forum or sub-forums lol...

I lurked for about a couple years there as well and didn't become a member until 2005 or so. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:02 PM)Tony Wrote: Dalton just really isn't that good. It's obvious time and time again. I understand though. I over value some players too...

Just 5 days  ago many Bengals fans who thought they had all of the answers were whining about Bengals doing nothing again in FA, before it really started. Then Bengals made them look like whiners.

Point being you may be right or you make look like an idiot when this plays out.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Just 5 days many Bengals fans who thought they had all of the answers were whining about Bengals doing nothing again in FA, before it really started. Then Bengals made them look like whiners.

Point being you may be right or you make look like an idiot when this plays out.

The Patriots like to keep their moves close to the vest just like the Bengals do, who knows.

But to think Brian frickin' Hoyer is a better option than Dalton is a damn insult man.

Not saying Dalton is great but he broke Kenny Anderson's records here who should be in the HOF.

If you don't know what I am talkin about Luvnit scroll up to Holic's post.
Reply/Quote

Even if we can't find someone to get Dalton it would be stupid to cut him. Just for the fact that a QB could go down on a win now team and trade for Dalton mid season. Worst comes to worst then Burrow would have someone to mentor him.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:41 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Even if we can't find someone to get Dalton it would be stupid to cut him. Just for the fact that a QB could go down on a win now team and trade for Dalton mid season. Worst comes to worst then Burrow would have someone to mentor him.

i agree, but many fans do not in fear AD may beat out Burrow for starting job.

If he stays, Bengals have best back up QB in league whether it is AD or JB

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: i agree, but many fans do not in fear AD may beat out Burrow for starting job.

WHAT?

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 07:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: i agree, but many fans do not in fear AD may beat out Burrow for starting job.

If we have both QBs Burrow is going to start. The only reason Dalton should start over Burrow would be if our line is still utter shit and we think it might ruin him. Burrow will be the future so we should go all in with him if we draft him.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:16 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If we have both QBs Burrow is going to start. The only reason Dalton should start over Burrow would be if our line is still utter shit and we think it might ruin him. Burrow will be the future so we should go all in with him if we draft him.

:andy: Joe
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bengals have all the way to to week 1 and game 1 to trade/cut AD.

Bengals gain nothing right now (cap wise) by cutting AD. 

So, I say be patient and see what happens. Why panic? Why cut him for nothing when nothing to gain?

They can play this out til a team needs a qb after a camp (whenever that is now) injury, but how easy is it for a team to fit Andy's deal.  

The farthest it could realistically go is right after the draft.  Maybe the Chargers get leaped for Hebert or the Pats come back to the table for a low pick.  I'm not convinced they're content with Hoyer/Stidham.  Same with Winston, if his price comes down you'd have to consider it even if he isnt an ideal fit.  

One thing I do know, cutting him without the pick sucks but the FO is showing they will use that 17M to improve the team.  They also arent giving tons of backloaded guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote