Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
(03-22-2020, 03:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, personally I don’t want a Dalton 2.0 with Burrow. In fact, I hope he’s nothing like Dalton. The ah shucks nice guy routine is great for the church choir, but it’s not the type of leader I want on my football team.

Burrow also grew up in a football family, including a father who’s a coach. I don’t think he needs a whole lot of “mentoring.”

We can agree to disagree on this one.  We've seen how much players who aren't doormats love to stay in Cincy. Things need to change or Burrow isn't going to put up with this. But we have 5 years to tie him down so ehh...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We can agree to disagree on this one.  We've seen how much players who aren't doormats love to stay in Cincy. Things need to change or Burrow isn't going to put up with this. But we have 5 years to tie him down so ehh...

Things have already changed. This is not the same franchise Carson Palmer likes to cry about. We just outbid another team and singed a top tier FA in Reader, and spent $127 million dollars in one week. Is that a team that’s “not trying to win?”

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Things have already changed. This is not the same franchise Carson Palmer likes to cry about. We just outbid another team and singed a top tier FA in Reader, and spent $127 million dollars in one week. Is that a team that’s “not trying to win?”

Ida know...the Browns did like that times 1000 and we won 2 games and still laughed at them, so who knows.  Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big move too that I fell for.  Time will tell.

Signing FAs is nice, but we aren't really doing right by Dalton and AJ right now so maybe Burrow considers that.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We can agree to disagree on this one.  We've seen how much players who aren't doormats love to stay in Cincy.  Things need to change or Burrow isn't going to put up with this.  But we have 5 years to tie him down so ehh...

It's pretty obvious things are changing.

The Bengals can't create a market for Andy that isn't there.  If the league is disrespecting him by not wanting him, the Bengals aren't to blame for that.  If it's true that the Bears offered a 4th to be in their weird little QB game, who's to say Andy didn't want to be the guy who's just there to light a fire under whatsisname's behind?  Plus, he's a Texas guy.  Does he really want to go farther north?  

Nobody pays a backup QB 17 mil a year.  Andy's a grown man.  He can handle it.  He knows it's a business.  They all do.  And he made it clear he wants to move on.  The most respectful thing to do is let him, by whatever means necessary.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...the Browns did like that times 1000 and we won 2 games and still laughed at them, so who knows.  Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big move too that I fell for.  Time will tell.

Signing FAs is nice, but we aren't really doing right by Dalton and AJ right now so maybe Burrow considers that.

Dalton was the starter here for nine years with roughly the last half of those years resulting in a steady decline but still kept his job unchallenged.  Maybe Burrow considers that.  Or, maybe more likely, he gives little to no thought of Andy Dalton at all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:13 AM)McC Wrote: It's pretty obvious things are changing.

The Bengals can't create a market for Andy that isn't there.  If the league is disrespecting him by not wanting him, the Bengals aren't to blame for that.  If it's true that the Bears offered a 4th to be in their weird little QB game, who's to say Andy didn't want to be the guy who's just there to light a fire under whatsisname's behind?  Plus, he's a Texas guy.  Does he really want to go farther north?  

Nobody pays a backup QB 17 mil a year.  Andy's a grown man.  He can handle it.  He knows it's a business.  They all do.  And he made it clear he wants to move on.  The most respectful thing to do is let him, by whatever means necessary.  

I'm not saying things aren't changing, I'm just saying that a few free agents don't wipe out nearly 30 years of Mike Brown quite yet.  Here is hoping the guy was visited by three ghosts and saw the error of his ways, though.

We already ragged on the Browns for bragging up "winning the off-season" last year. Are we going to fall into that trap after free agency?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:17 AM)McC Wrote: Dalton was the starter here for nine years with roughly the last half of those years resulting in a steady decline but still kept his job unchallenged.  Maybe Burrow considers that.  Or, maybe more likely, he gives little to no thought of Andy Dalton at all.

Probably...but hopefully things change and we don't give Burrow coaches like Ken Zampese, Bill Lazor, and ZT...assuming ZT was part of Dalton's meltdown last year.  Are we sure Dalton just turned into crap after 2015?  How sure?

EDIT - I guess if Bellichick would rather start Brian Hoyer than trade anything for Dalton it's safe to say Dalton just flat-out stanks and we are going to draft Burrow and New Dey the hell outta things. Whatever it takes.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...the Browns did like that times 1000 and we won 2 games and still laughed at them, so who knows.  Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big move too that I fell for.  Time will tell.

Joe Burrow mentioned he’d like us to keep AJ, and we used the tag on him. Let him consider that.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying things aren't changing, I'm just saying that a few free agents don't wipe out nearly 30 years of Mike Brown quite yet.  Here is hoping the guy was visited by three ghosts and saw the error of his ways, though.

We already ragged on the Browns for bragging up "winning the off-season" last year. Are we going to fall into that trap after free agency?

It’s perfectly reasonable to bring up our FA moves when that’s literally the single biggest criticism both our fans and outside sources constantly bring up.

You’re allowed to say something positive about the team. It won’t kill you.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying things aren't changing, I'm just saying that a few free agents don't wipe out nearly 30 years of Mike Brown quite yet.  Here is hoping the guy was visited by three ghosts and saw the error of his ways, though.

We already ragged on the Browns for bragging up "winning the off-season" last year.  Are we going to fall into that trap after free agency?

The biggest thing people laugh at the Browns about is the not following through on winning the off season, for having a big off season and then acting like jackasses and screwing it up during the season.  It's not the spending.  It's the repeatedly screwing it up that makes people laugh at the Browns.  They had something going the previous year and then shot the air right out of their balloon  with their own bullets.  Do a few more commercials,  Baker and say some more stupid shit at a presser.

The Bengals spent big on two guys.  And neither of them are jackasses.  It didn't feel like they were trying to buy a whole team in one off season like say, Miami has done, just fill some of the many holes.  

And BTW, the Browns went on a pretty good spree of their own this past week.  The season's where the proof will be for them and for us too.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably...but hopefully things change and we don't give Burrow coaches like Ken Zampese, Bill Lazor, and ZT...assuming ZT was part of Dalton's meltdown last year.  Are we sure Dalton just turned into crap after 2015?  How sure?

EDIT - I guess if Bellichick would rather start Brian Hoyer than trade anything for Dalton it's safe to say Dalton just flat-out stanks and we are going to draft Burrow and New Dey the hell outta things. Whatever it takes.

I’ve been as down on Taylor as anyone, but he deserves a chance with his own QB, and a team that has a bunch of his own guys. If he still sucks, then get rid of him. But the coaching excuse wrt Dalton is a bit weak. He’s had 5 different OC’s now. And despite whatever we think of them, they’ve all landed jobs elsewhere. But hey, everyone knows it usually takes at least half a dozen coaches to really find the right match...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably...but hopefully things change and we don't give Burrow coaches like Ken Zampese, Bill Lazor, and ZT...assuming ZT was part of Dalton's meltdown last year.  Are we sure Dalton just turned into crap after 2015?  How sure?

EDIT - I guess if Bellichick would rather start Brian Hoyer than trade anything for Dalton it's safe to say Dalton just flat-out stanks and we are going to draft Burrow and New Dey the hell outta things.  Whatever it takes.

Think back to the last time Belichick saw Dalton play up close and personal.

Reply/Quote

Also, if paying a guy 18 million for a year who hasn't played in a season and a half and never pushing him to get his ass back on the field is doing somebody wrong, gimme some of that.

Reply/Quote
That 4th rounder from Chicago is looking better and better each day.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:46 AM)McC Wrote: Also, if paying a guy 18 million for a year who hasn't played in a season and a half and never pushing him to get his ass back on the field is doing somebody wrong, gimme some of that.

Seriously. After what happened with Hopkins, AJ should feel damn lucky to be seen as that valuable.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:50 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: That 4th rounder from Chicago is looking better and better each day.

Was this ever confirmed by a legitimate source, or is it just speculation?

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was this ever confirmed by a legitimate source, or is it just speculation?

Pretty sure there were multiple sources saying that Chicago was looking at Dalton and Foles both. Could have sent the offer for a 4th to both teams, and we balked meanwhile Jax took it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm not buying the new reports that NE isn't interested. Its pretty convenient this is coming out after reports of Cincy asking for Wynn. Sounds like posturing to lower the asking price.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:32 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Pretty sure there were multiple sources saying that Chicago was looking at Dalton and Foles both. Could have sent the offer for a 4th to both teams, and we balked meanwhile Jax took it.

Total speculation..what we do know is files contract was restructured and jacksonville took a great cap hit
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:45 PM)McC Wrote: That would hardly qualify as doing right by him when you consider that all the starting QB jobs are now taken.

It doesn't appear that Dalton and his agent have had any luck finding a suitor. That could be because of Dalton, it could be because the Bengals are seeking too much in return, who knows. He obviously doesn't want to be the backup so releasing him so he can still try and find a spot isn't doing wrong by him either.
Reply/Quote