Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
Patriots go from Tom Brady to Brian Hoyer...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Patriots go from Tom Brady to Brian Hoyer...

Epic fall.

Are we just going to have to cut Dalton? Not cool man. Should of took anything for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Epic fall.

Are we just going to have to cut Dalton? Not cool man. Should of took anything for him.

The thing that bothers me the most about it, is that they didn't get a trade done with Chicago last season! Our coaches handled the "QB switch" terribly.

Compile that with the atrocious accessment of Finley's abilities. It's a little worrisome. One or more of the current coaches wanted Finley.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 05:47 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The thing that bothers me the most about it, is that they didn't get a trade done with Chicago last season! Our coaches handled the "QB switch" terribly.

Compile that with the atrocious accessment of Finley's abilities. It's a little worrisome. One or more of the current coaches wanted Finley.

I love this FA besides this. This was handled poorly. We will have to see how this plays out but it isn't looking good.

Just gonna have to cut Dalton in order to free up that money now sounds like. Said this in the other thread, I don't have an issue 
with cutting Dalton, the issue is saying we were going to treat him fairly and not following through with what we said. Also don't
like that the team said we would only take a 2nd round pick for him. Never back yourself into a corner like that.

Finley shown he is not NFL material last year, we all saw it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Patriots go from Tom Brady to Brian Hoyer...

Jarrett Stidham will be starting. Hoyer will be the backup.
Reply/Quote
Will be very curious to see how Stidham looks this year. Especially since we drafted Ryan Finley 30 spots ahead of him.
Reply/Quote

Actually, aren't they going to Stidham, who is on a rookie 4th round contract, which is way less than 17 mil?  I guess this whole thing is proof that not everything Peter King says is gospel. 

Curse you, Peter King,  I hope you can't find TP for a month.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:26 PM)McC Wrote: Actually, aren't they going to Stidham, who is on a rookie 4th round contract, which is way less than 17 mil?  I guess this whole thing is proof that not everything Peter King says is gospel. 

Curse you, Peter King,  I hope you can't find TP for a month.

Something tells me that Stidham may play fairly well? Any idea what the hit is for cutting Andy? 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 05:47 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The thing that bothers me the most about it, is that they didn't get a trade done with Chicago last season! Our coaches handled the "QB switch" terribly.

I'm not really bothered by the whole Dalton thing at all.  I don't buy the whole doing wrong by Dalton thing a bit.  He kept his job unchallenged for years no matter how badly he played.  He got a second deal that maybe wasn't top of the league but was still pretty damn good.  People have been clamoring to draft his replacement for a few years and it didn't happen. 

Yeah, they sat him on his birthday to see what they had in Finley during an utterly lost season.  Boo hoo.  Andy's a big boy and it's the NFL, for crying out loud.  The Bengals said they'd try to accommodate him.  It's not their fault no team wants him to be their starter.  If Andy plays better, or at least more consistently, this is not an issue.  The Bengals did more than alright by Andy Dalton.

People have been on the Bengals for years to take sentimentality out of the equation and as soon as they do, people want to get on them for that.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Brady brought six SB's to the Pats and BB had no problem kicking him to the curb.  It's a grown man business.  Pretty sure players are fully aware of that going in.

Now the Finley assessment, I'm totally with you on that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:37 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not really bothered by the whole Dalton thing at all.  I don't buy the whole doing wrong by Dalton thing a bit.  He kept his job unchallenged for years no matter how badly he played.  He got a second deal that maybe wasn't top of the league but was still pretty damn good.  People have been clamoring to draft his replacement for a few years and it didn't happen. 

Yeah, they sat him on his birthday to see what they had in Finley during an utterly lost season.  Boo hoo.  Andy's a big boy and it's the NFL, for crying out loud.  The Bengals said they'd try to accommodate him.  It's not their fault no team wants him to be their starter.  If Andy plays better, or at least more consistently, this is not an issue.  The Bengals did more than alright by Andy Dalton.

People have been on the Bengals for years to take sentimentality out of the equation and as soon as they do, people want to get on them for that.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Brady brought six SB's to the Pats and BB had no problem kicking him to the curb.  It's a grown man business.  Pretty sure players are fully aware of that going in.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:37 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not really bothered by the whole Dalton thing at all.  I don't buy the whole doing wrong by Dalton thing a bit.  He kept his job unchallenged for years no matter how badly he played.  He got a second deal that maybe wasn't top of the league but was still pretty damn good.  People have been clamoring to draft his replacement for a few years and it didn't happen. 

Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to convey? Not sure? Even though we were more competitive with Andy , and got the "no win monkey" off off our backs. I don't think he should have taken another snap (after) the switch to Finley. And, yes Finley looked pretty damn bad.

At that point forward they should have been aggressively seeking a AD trade partner. They knew he wasn't in the Bengals future. That's where they dropped the ball imo. I was never a big Dalton fan, but I thank him for some fun games, and wish him the best.

The FA signings have been promising, so happy about that.

Ts, this has been the craziest off-season for QBs that I can remember!! Still in flux, and crazy as we chat! 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:31 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to convey? Not sure? Even though we were more competitive with Andy , and got the "no win monkey" off off our backs. I don't think he should have taken another snap (after) the switch to Finley. And, yes Finley looked pretty damn bad.

At that point forward they should have been aggressively seeking a AD trade partner. They knew he wasn't in the Bengals future. That's where they dropped the ball imo.

The FA signings have been promising, so happy about that.

Ts, this has been the craziest off-season for QBs that I can remember!! Still in flux, and crazy as we chat! 

Do we even know they weren't aggressively trying but there just weren't any takers?  If you look back at what teams might have been interested, who might there have been?  Pittsburgh is the only one I can think of.  And who knows Andy better than them?  When's the last time he beat them?

I disagree on not letting Dalton play again.  I can't imagine anyone in the building would have wanted to go 0-16 and if Finley kept playing, not only would he have been permanently broken, if he isn't already, they almost surely have not won a single game and that would have been devastating to everybody.  Not that winning only two was any great shakes but at least it gave some level of hope going into the off season.  Plus, having him win those two at least potentially raised his value a little.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Epic fall.

Like going from Ruth’s Chris to White Castle.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: Do we even know they weren't aggressively trying but there just weren't any takers?  If you look back at what teams might have been interested, who might there have been?  Pittsburgh is the only one I can think of.  And who knows Andy better than them?  When's the last time he beat them?

I disagree on not letting Dalton play again.  I can't imagine anyone in the building would have wanted to go 0-16 and if Finley kept playing, not only would he have been permanently broken, if he isn't already, they almost surely have not won a single game and that would have been devastating to everybody.  Not that winning only two was any great shakes but at least it gave some level of hope going into the off season.  Plus, having him win those two at least potentially raised his value a little.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. It was nice to get in the win column. I'm not sure playing him would have had any bearing on anything, AD related? Helped the Bengals a little though. He has about a decades worth of tape on him already. They should have been able to get something for him, but the current QB market almost dictates a cut.

2020 has been a strange year thus far. Probably the understatement of all time.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: Do we even know they weren't aggressively trying but there just weren't any takers?  If you look back at what teams might have been interested, who might there have been?  Pittsburgh is the only one I can think of.  And who knows Andy better than them?  When's the last time he beat them?

I'd agree Dalton's trade value is low if not nil at this point.  With that being said, he should have demanded a trade after the 2015 when he was showing MVP flashes and we were promoting a total bum like Ken Zampese to be the OC.  You could take a time machine back to the off-season going into 2016 and tell Dalton that he has peaked and the next slew of Bengals coaches are going to help him fall off the cliff.

Dalton gets to be a starter and we could have unloaded him for a 1st I bet.  The Vikings traded a 1st for Bradford and the Redskins traded a 3rd and a player for Alex Smith (plus the Gruden connection).  Yeah yeah, hindsight is 20/20 but it is interesting how Dalton was at his max value after 2015 and we held onto him and saddled him with lousy coaching to help his collapse.

Dalton is the first franchise QB of the Mike Brown era to not demand a trade and it looks like we've missed the boat.  Such is life.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd agree Dalton's trade value is low if not nil at this point.  With that being said, he should have demanded a trade after the 2015 when he was showing MVP flashes and we were promoting a total bum like Ken Zampese to be the OC.  You could take a time machine back to the off-season going into 2016 and tell Dalton that he has peaked and the next slew of Bengals coaches are going to help him fall off the cliff.

Dalton gets to be a starter and we could have unloaded him for a 1st I bet.  The Vikings traded a 1st for Bradford and the Redskins traded a 3rd and a player for Alex Smith (plus the Gruden connection).  Yeah yeah, hindsight is 20/20 but it is interesting how Dalton was at his max value after 2015 and we held onto him and saddled him with lousy coaching to help his collapse.

Dalton is the first franchise QB of the Mike Brown era to not demand a trade and it looks like we've missed the boat.  Such is life.

Such is life.

Now, I do have to say, if I got the use of a time machine, the Bengals would not have even made my top ten of things I'd do different.  I'm looking at you, Barbie Coleman.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:17 PM)McC Wrote: Such is life.

Now, I do have to say, if I got the use of a time machine, the Bengals would not have even made my top ten of things I'd do different.  I'm looking at you, Barbie Coleman.

As long as you don't go back in time and shoot your grandpa.
Reply/Quote

I get all that, just saying why should they be stubborn on what pick they want for someone we would have to cut anyway?

Maybe Mike Brown isn't Weekend at Bernies anymore...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As long as you don't go back in time and shoot your grandpa.
You got that right.

Weird little grandpa tidbit.

My grandpa on my father's side was in a tank crew on Anzio in WWII(yeah, yeah, I'm old as ****).  And this is the only thing he ever told me about being in the war.

They had a lull in the action.  Grandpa had to take a leak.  He climbs out of the tank, takes a little walk.  He's ten feet from the tank, starts to whip it out and for reasons he couldn't even explain, decides to walk a little farther away and ends up on the other side of a huge tree. 

As he's peeing, the tank get hit and blown to bits.  The tree he's standing behind gets blasted with shrapnel.  He gets a piece in one of his triceps which was not all the way behind the tree. 

Everybody in the tank dead.  That's how close I came to never existing.  That's how close my family name came to ending.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:28 PM)McC Wrote: You got that right.

Weird little grandpa tidbit.

My grandpa on my father's side was in a tank crew on Anzio in WWII(yeah, yeah, I'm old as ****).  And this is the only thing he ever told me about being in the war.

They had a lull in the action.  Grandpa had to take a leak.  He climbs out of the tank, takes a little walk.  He;s ten feet from the tank, starts to whip it out and for reasons he couldn't even explain, decides to walk a little farther away and ends up on the other side of a huge tree. 

As he's peeing, the tank get hit and blown to bits.  The tree he's standing behind gets blasted with shrapnel.  He gets a piece in one of his triceps which was not all the way behind the tree. 

Everybody in the tank dead.  That's how close I came to never existing.  That's how close my family name came to ending.

Holy shit is that wild!!! Shocked
Reply/Quote