Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Peak or plateau
I have said all along that if this team stayed healthy we had playoff talent. My concern all along was the coaching.

Well Taylor and his crew did their jobs and have us in the playoffs at 10-6 (to me the game against the Browns doesn't even count). I give him credit for no screwing it up, but it is possible I could be giving him a lot more credit than that in the next few weeks.

One of the biggest problems this team has had all year is consistency. Their performance is up and down from week to week and even half to half. The good news is that they are up right now. The question is if it is a "peak" like they have hit a couple of other times this year just to see them flop back to earth, or is it a "plateau" level that they can maintain for a few weeks.

This team has the talent to play with just about any team in the league. If they have the coaching to keep them at a high level every week we can make it all the way through the AFC. Then you will really be hearing me signing Taylors praises.

We don't have to "wait for next year". We have spent $145 million on veteran free agents so we don't have to wait for draft picks to develop. We have had unusually good luck with injuries this year. Despite what some people claim injuries have a lot to do with what teams win. At the most important position on the team we have an elite player in Joe Burrow. And since I don't believe in jinxes I will point out that when Ickey Woods was running us to a Super Bowl we were all talking about his possible Hall-of-Fame career. None of us ever imagined he would have less than 500 yards over the rest of his career.

We need to strike while the iron is hot. I'm praying Zac is the coach that can keep his team performing at their best on a consistent basis.

We need a plateau instead of a peak.
Reply/Quote
This may be the most positive post you've had in years.... you okay?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 10:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have said all along that if this team stayed healthy we had playoff talent.  My concern all along was the coaching.

Well Taylor and his crew did their jobs and have us in the playoffs at 10-6 (to me the game against the Browns doesn't even count).  I give him credit for no screwing it up, but it is possible I could be giving him a lot more credit than that in the next few weeks.

One of the biggest problems this team has had all year is consistency.  Their performance is up and down from week to week and even half to half.  The good news is that they are up right now.  The question is if it is a "peak" like they have hit a couple of other times this year just to see them flop back to earth, or is it a "plateau" level that they can maintain for a few weeks.

This team has the talent to play with just about any team in the league.  If they have the coaching to keep them at a high level every week we can make it all the way through the AFC.  Then you will really be hearing me signing Taylors praises.

We don't have to "wait for next year".  We have spent $145 million on veteran free agents so we don't have to wait for draft picks to develop.  We have had unusually good luck with injuries this year.  Despite what some people claim injuries have a lot to do with what teams win.  At the most important position on the team we have an elite player in Joe Burrow.  And since I don't believe in jinxes I will point out that when Ickey Woods was running us to a Super Bowl we were all talking about his possible Hall-of-Fame career.  None of us ever imagined he would have less than 500 yards over the rest of his career.

We need to strike while the iron is hot.  I'm praying Zac is the coach that can keep his team performing at their best on a consistent basis.

I'm sure it's what motivates him daily. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Has this team repeated the same mistake(s) in different games this season?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 10:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have said all along that if this team stayed healthy we had playoff talent.  My concern all along was the coaching.

This describes 90% of the board.

That said, I share your optimism, and I don't like when people act like we're playing w/ house money and the next 2 years are the ones where we'll really contend. I think we're contenders NOW. For sure. Rarely does a team this good and hot make it to the playoffs almost completely healthy. Rarely is the AFC playoff field so "meh" looking.

Now is our time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 10:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have said all along that if this team stayed healthy we had playoff talent. My concern all along was the coaching.

Well Taylor and his crew did their jobs and have us in the playoffs at 10-6 (to me the game against the Browns doesn't even count). I give him credit for no screwing it up, but it is possible I could be giving him a lot more credit than that in the next few weeks.

One of the biggest problems this team has had all year is consistency. Their performance is up and down from week to week and even half to half. The good news is that they are up right now. The question is if it is a "peak" like they have hit a couple of other times this year just to see them flop back to earth, or is it a "plateau" level that they can maintain for a few weeks.

This team has the talent to play with just about any team in the league. If they have the coaching to keep them at a high level every week we can make it all the way through the AFC. Then you will really be hearing me signing Taylors praises.

We don't have to "wait for next year". We have spent $145 million on veteran free agents so we don't have to wait for draft picks to develop. We have had unusually good luck with injuries this year. Despite what some people claim injuries have a lot to do with what teams win. At the most important position on the team we have an elite player in Joe Burrow. And since I don't believe in jinxes I will point out that when Ickey Woods was running us to a Super Bowl we were all talking about his possible Hall-of-Fame career. None of us ever imagined he would have less than 500 yards over the rest of his career.

We need to strike while the iron is hot. I'm praying Zac is the coach that can keep his team performing at their best on a consistent basis.

You said this team had playoff talent. I disagree. The Center? Right Tackle? Right Guard? Dallas let Awuzie go? He’s played much better ? Coaches or culture play into that? How about picking up B J Hill for Price and his year? How about Reader? How about Ojungobi? He was let go how about his year? How about wise enough to draft Evan McPherson fifth? Chicken or the egg? It appears a lot of free agents have had great years? How about Uzomah’s year? Where’d that come from? How about Mixon’s year? Pollard help that? Everybody NOW thinks our talent is great???? No way they thought that at the start of the season. What’s happened is a lot of players have had their best years. Lou Anarumo’s defense has played from outset of preseason much better than anticipated. Of course free agency played a role. I think it’s funny how all of a sudden we’ve got great talent when nobody thought that before the season. The culture changed and players started playing for each other. That’s what happens when a head coach has a plan and it permeates throughout the staff and team.

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-penning-a-season-worthy-of-nfl-coach-of-the-year-discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Well I think Zac finally saw the light.And I believe that is,in large part at least,the reason for this teams recent record breaking success.

Earlier in the year,you have to admit,Zac was using very conservative play calling.And when the game was on the line,he did not put the ball,or you might say game in his most valued Offensive player,(Joe Burrows) hands.Now he is.If you look at the Bengals most recent win,against the Kansas City Chiefs,that’s a prime example of aggressive play calling.The most aggressive game I’ve Zac call the entire season.

That’s the identity of this offense,and has been all along.Up tempo aggressive play.Sometimes taking big chances,including going for it on fourth down.That’s not to say that it always works,and I know there are times that you need to be more conservative.I’m Glad to see that it appears Zac is more than willing now to just turn Burrow loose.

As was the case with the Third and 27 play in the final drive against the Chiefs.Joe ripped that ball downfield to Ja’Maar Chase for a 30 yard completion and first down.Earlier in the year,I do not think Zac would have done that.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You said this team had playoff talent. I disagree. The Center? Right Tackle? Right Guard? Dallas let Awuzie go? He’s played much better ? Coaches or culture play into that? How about picking up B J Hill for Price and his year? How about Reader? How about Ojungobi? He was let go how about his year? How about wise enough to draft Evan McPherson fifth? Chicken or the egg? It appears a lot of free agents have had great years? How about Uzomah’s year? Where’d that come from? How about Mixon’s year? Pollard help that? Everybody NOW thinks our talent is great???? No way they thought that at the start of the season. What’s happened is a lot of players have had their best years. Lou Anarumo’s defense has played from outset of preseason much better than anticipated. Of course free agency played a role. I think it’s funny how all of a sudden we’ve got great talent when nobody thought that before the season. The culture changed and players started playing for each other. That’s what happens when a head coach has a plan and it permeates throughout the staff and team.

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-penning-a-season-worthy-of-nfl-coach-of-the-year-discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

What did we spend in free agency? A quarter of a billion dollars on defense. These players your naming we brought in on defense are not scrubs. They found themselves being the odd man out for a variety of reasons. Reader was a stud with Houston but they're a hot mess. Dallas has Diggs and a ton of other talent to pay besides Awuzie. Hilton is a solid player. Hendrickson had a great year but it was one and the Saints probably didn't want to bet on that and the list goes on. I also dislike the "culture change" theme. Some of our best culture guys were on the team before Taylor got here. Now they let go some of the players that were getting old and replaced them with high character guys so they should get credit for that. 

The defense loaded the Dline and they definitely have the talent to get it done. Where we really hit a home run is with the secondary. We had all new starting CBs this year and they've really played well together.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:36 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Well I think Zac finally saw the light.And I believe that is,in large part at least,the reason for this teams recent record breaking success.

Earlier in the year,you have to admit,Zac was using very conservative play calling.And when the game was on the line,he did not put the ball,or you might say game in his most valued Offensive player,(Joe Burrows) hands.Now he is.If you look at the Bengals most recent win,against the Kansas City Chiefs,that’s a prime example of aggressive play calling.The most aggressive game I’ve Zac call the entire season.

That’s the identity of this offense,and has been all along.Up tempo aggressive play.Sometimes taking big chances,including going for it on fourth down.That’s not to say that it always works,and I know there  are times that you need to be more conservative.I’m Glad to see that it appears Zac is more than willing now to just turn Burrow loose.

As was the case with the Third and 27 play in the final drive against the Chiefs.Joe ripped that ball downfield to Ja’Maar Chase for a 30 yard completion and first down.Earlier in the year,I do not think Zac would have done that.

I still worry about Zac in these tight situations. It did work out last week and I'm happy and he deserves credit for the end result. But at the 1 yard line give the ball to Mixon on 1st down and you'll most likely never have to worry about 4th down. Now anywhere else on the field with the game on the line I'm fine with the ball in Burrows hands just not on the 1 yd line QB sneaking it.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:36 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Well I think Zac finally saw the light.And I believe that is,in large part at least,the reason for this teams recent record breaking success.

That’s the identity of this offense,and has been all along.Up tempo aggressive play.Sometimes taking big chances,including going for it on fourth down.That’s not to say that it always works,and I know there  are times that you need to be more conservative.I’m Glad to see that it appears Zac is more than willing now to just turn Burrow loose.

Disagree, what Taylor did this is win with different plans, he won with run heavy,  pass heavy, balance and what really turned the corner we stopped turning ball over.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it’s funny how all of a sudden we’ve got great talent when nobody thought that before the season.

Actually I said it before the season and so did a lot of other people here.

(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  Dallas let Awuzie go? 

No.  He played out his contract and became a free agent just like a lot of the better players in the league.

(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  How about Reader?

Rated as top DT in free agency.  That is why he got a $14 million a year deal

(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  How about Ojungobi? 

One of the most productive DTs in the league in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: How about Uzomah’s year? Where’d that come from? 

His numbers are almost identical to 2018 before Zac was coach

2018... 43 rec... 10.2 avg... 3 tds
2021... 49 rec... 10.1 avg... 5 tds

(01-07-2022, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  How about Mixon’s year? 

Had a better season in 2018 than this year.  He played two more games this season and only gained 37 more yards.

2018... 83.4 yds/gm... 4.9 avg... 43 receptions
2021... 75.3 yds/gm... 4.1 avg... 42 receptions
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This describes 90% of the board.

That said, I share your optimism, and I don't like when people act like we're playing w/ house money and the next 2 years are the ones where we'll really contend. I think we're contenders NOW. For sure. Rarely does a team this good and hot make it to the playoffs almost completely healthy. Rarely is the AFC playoff field so "meh" looking.

Now is our time.

IDK about that part. I feel like it's been meh for the past 5 or 6 years lol
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: What did we spend in free agency? A quarter of a billion dollars on defense. These players your naming we brought in on defense are not scrubs. They found themselves being the odd man out for a variety of reasons. Reader was a stud with Houston but they're a hot mess. Dallas has Diggs and a ton of other talent to pay besides Awuzie. Hilton is a solid player. Hendrickson had a great year but it was one and the Saints probably didn't want to bet on that and the list goes on. I also dislike the "culture change" theme. Some of our best culture guys were on the team before Taylor got here. Now they let go some of the players that were getting old and replaced them with high character guys so they should get credit for that. 

The defense loaded the Dline and they definitely have the talent to get it done. Where we really hit a home run is with the secondary. We had all new starting CBs this year and they've really played well together.

I feel like a lot of people knew that we had a lot of talent. They just didn't like our coach and OL. The defense was bad last year, but we did have a lot of injuries. The only two things that I thought was going to make us a bad team coming into the year was the OL and Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: IDK about that part. I feel like it's been meh for the past 5 or 6 years lol

In the past you had Brady with the Pats, stronger Ravens and Steelers squads, and obviously the Chiefs.

Now it's really just the Chiefs. I'll agree that the AFC has been weaker over the last 5 years or so than before that, but I think it's at an all-time low right now. Either way, it's good for our guys. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Well Taylor and his crew did their jobs and have us in the playoffs at 10-6 (to me the game against the Browns doesn't even count).  I give him credit for no screwing it up, but it is possible I could be giving him a lot more credit than that in the next few weeks.

One of the biggest problems this team has had all year is consistency.  Their performance is up and down from week to week and even half to half.  The good news is that they are up right now.  The question is if it is a "peak" like they have hit a couple of other times this year just to see them flop back to earth, or is it a "plateau" level that they can maintain for a few weeks.

This team has the talent to play with just about any team in the league.  If they have the coaching to keep them at a high level every week we can make it all the way through the AFC.  Then you will really be hearing me signing Taylors praises.

We don't have to "wait for next year".  We have spent $145 million on veteran free agents so we don't have to wait for draft picks to develop.  We have had unusually good luck with injuries this year.  Despite what some people claim injuries have a lot to do with what teams win.  At the most important position on the team we have an elite player in Joe Burrow.  And since I don't believe in jinxes I will point out that when Ickey Woods was running us to a Super Bowl we were all talking about his possible Hall-of-Fame career.  None of us ever imagined he would have less than 500 yards over the rest of his career.

We need to strike while the iron is hot.  I'm praying Zac is the coach that can keep his team performing at their best on a consistent basis.

I am with you here Fred.  Bengals have a tough road.  KC will be a tough out.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

You're goddamned right.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:52 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am with you here Fred.  Bengals have a tough road.  KC will be a tough out.  

I would agree to an extent.  KC's playoff wins at home are not really the blowouts you might expect.  The Texans had them beaten until Bill O'Brien handed them the game.  Tennessee came damn close, too.  Neither of those teams had what we have on offense.

Mahomes is no doubt an all-time arm talent, and very effective on the run. That said, he made two big mistakes last week that the Bengals failed to make him pay for. He's not unbeatable, and neither are the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
KC has shown their corners cannot cover our receivers without holding them.
Reply/Quote
Good to see Fred feeling the “vibe” of this team!

I think the main talent question going into the season is still the same one we have now. The O line is average at best.
Burrows greatest accomplishment this year has been putting up big numbers and winning games behind a still suspect O line.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Had a better season in 2018 than this year.  He played two more games this season and only gained 37 more yards.

2018... 83.4 yds/gm... 4.9 avg... 43 receptions
2021... 75.3 yds/gm... 4.1 avg... 42 receptions

Joe Mixon has 16 touchdowns this year. I'd take that over slightly more yards per game and a better per carry average 

Reply/Quote