Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extended Overtime
(05-19-2016, 02:25 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: This doesn't surprise me in the least.  I am hourly and make roughly $40k and work 40hrs a week, not bad.   But those above me(salary)...easily put in 60-80hrs a week.  I'm honestly almost content, given what's expected of salaried employees.

Yeah, I am salaried, exempt, a supervisor, working in accounting with a degree in such, and I make $36k. Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia. i work more than 40, but taking classes now I eat up some of my work time with that so it probably evens out during fall and spring.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-18-2016, 10:59 PM)Benton Wrote: It gets crazy. I had one boss that started me on comp time after corporate found out he was paying me below minimum wage (salary). After  a year and a half, I put in a vacation request for the back time, just about seven weeks. He actually hired another guy to pick up the slack.

I think a lot of employers are going to get an eye opening  when they realize how many hours their employees are putting in.

True. If mine realizes how many hours I actually put in, I'll be out on my ass.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-19-2016, 07:36 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I am salaried, exempt, a supervisor, working in accounting with a degree in such, and I make $36k. Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia. i work more than 40, but taking classes now I eat up some of my work time with that so it probably evens out during fall and spring.

(05-19-2016, 09:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: True. If mine realizes how many hours I actually put in, I'll be out on my ass.

My "official" schedule is a nine hour shift with an hour for lunch...eight hours a day.

It hasn't worked that way in over ten years (since our owner passed away).  But the ACTUAL number of hours I *work* now is much less too.  But I am in the office more than nine hours a day anyway.

More of a result of the new boss beating any desire to work harder out of me and the rest of us here.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The companies that are against this are the ones that have too much upper management.corporate greed. I worked for CVS as an assistant manager briefly and was salaried based on a 45 hour work week. I ended up working five 9-hour days, so that was fair to me, as I knew that going into it. Also if I did work more than 45 one week, manager let me take that off the next week or in near future, or just have half a day off.

However place I am at now though offered to pay me .50 an hour more to go salary, but 'could' work more hours. I turned it down and said I will happily do more hours but it will be overtime pay. They didnt like it but are doing it because overall its cheaper than hiring someone else or contracting out. I basically called them out in a nice way of being cheap ass bastards that thought they could get away saving a few bucks by making me work more.

Basically I am always in favor of the working man/woman so more laws like this the better in the long run. I will always be against corporate/upper management that wants to unfairly save money off their employees to make themselves richer.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

So I'm bringing this back around because I keep getting emails about it from our HR department. This is going to be very interesting to Virginia, because we will have state employees that are department managers that will still be non-exempt employees because their salaries are too low.

For instance, the Payroll Manager position here is open. I have thought about applying for it and I realized today that with that job, overseeing all payroll for the 3000 some odd employees here, not counting student workers, I would still be non-exempt. I don't know if anyone here has had to do anything payroll-wise, but that department puts in hours when others are nowhere to be found, and the manager should always be there if other employees have to be.

Seems pretty ridiculous that this sort of situation will now exist here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-01-2016, 01:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So I'm bringing this back around because I keep getting emails about it from our HR department. This is going to be very interesting to Virginia, because we will have state employees that are department managers that will still be non-exempt employees because their salaries are too low.

For instance, the Payroll Manager position here is open. I have thought about applying for it and I realized today that with that job, overseeing all payroll for the 3000 some odd employees here, not counting student workers, I would still be non-exempt. I don't know if anyone here has had to do anything payroll-wise, but that department puts in hours when others are nowhere to be found, and the manager should always be there if other employees have to be.

Seems pretty ridiculous that this sort of situation will now exist here.

I'm leaning more toward it being a positive than I was when it was first announced. There will be some businesses that struggle, but that's going to be true at any wage standard. Like I said in another post I think some employers are either going to have an eye opening when they realize they've got people essentially doing the work of two people, or they're going to realize how little some employees do. For a long time, for a lot of businesses it was easier to just plan on having X salaries and nobody has been following up on that.
(06-06-2016, 03:09 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm leaning more toward it being a positive than I was when it was first announced. There will be some businesses that struggle, but that's going to be true at any wage standard. Like I said in another post I think some employers are either going to have an eye opening when they realize they've got people essentially doing the work of two people, or they're going to realize how little some employees do. For a long time, for a lot of businesses it was easier to just plan on having X salaries and nobody has been following up on that.

I think this is a good thing, no doubt about it. I am actually hoping that this will open up the eyes to more people in places where they are underpaid.

For my purposes, I am going to use this as a reason to work on my workaholic behavior. My first step this year is to try to get away from being proud of having the maximum amount of vacation carryover and actually use it to take some time off instead of losing hours at the end of the year. When the new OT rules come into play, we will have to actually keep track of our hours on a spreadsheet for compliance purposes. I will refuse to lie on it, which is what will be subtly encouraged, and will just stick to my 40 hours.