Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko news
Roster turnover is the nature of the beast. I think everyone gets and understands that. However, in Mike Brown Land, you play games with your LT which will probably run him out of town. On the flip side, it's cheaper to run out Ogbuehi or Fisher. Win for Brown, Lose for the team and fans. From the sounds of it, I don't know that there was ever a plan to bring Zeitler back. All we keep hearing is the team doesn't value the position (though they burned a 1st round pick on Z), and that they have to limit their cap space by 66% (because Mike Brown LOVES money). Whit or DreK will eat up the lion's share of their "available" cap space if either were to be signed. However we have 72 (obvious exaggeration folks, calm down) 1st round CBs that are cheaper and wasting away as well as a (cheaper) 5th round pick that could challenge for starting RG. All the while negotiating a front-loaded deal with Peko that will take a chunk out of our "available" cap and preventing us from being able to retain our valuable free agents.

While he is the worst owner, worst GM, and the biggest football idiot in the world, Mike Brown knows how to protect his money and make it look like none of it is his fault. Hobson probably has at least a dozen "we tried", "offers were similar", "they're traitors" stories ready to post at a moments notice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Peko hatred is ridiculous.

No it is not. Peko is a great man, but we need a great DT. We need to move on from mediocre players like this.

This has been loyalty to a fault already for years now. He has held this D-line down for too damn long if anything.

We need DT's that are not one trick ponys.

I know he is good at taking up space but we can find a younger guy to do this and already do in Andrew Billings
that can also rush the passer if we need him to. We don't need to bring back Peko to mentor Billings, that is what
coaches are for damn it.

The Peko love is ridiculous. He is a great man and great in the locker room, fine hire him as a coach after he
retires.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:23 PM)McC Wrote: Oh, no.  Who will mentor Billings?

I know, right?  I mean we don't have a d-line coach for that or anything, do we?  Or the best 4-3 defensive tackle in the league lining up next to him?  Yeah, better sign an over-the-hill has-been to do the job.  Anything more than a 1-year deal for the league vet minimum is too much for Peko at this point.

Here's a novel idea: If you want to be loyal and have Peko mentor Billings, the shitcan Burney (who like his fellow defensive assistant Haslett is a dogshit coach), and make Peko a d-line coach.  If you don't want to do that, make him a special assistant.
Reply/Quote
Peko is a great locker room guy. I figured he'd come back the day Billings went down in camp.

What I don't like is that we'll probably overpay him if he comes back. I would not fight for his services. A 1 year deal for a couple of million dollars and that's it. If he chooses to go elsewhere, so be it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know he is good at taking up space but we can find a younger guy to do this and already do in Andrew Billings
that can also rush the passer if we need him to. 

That's just it, we do not know what we have in Billings other than a lot of promise. He has yet to see the field.... he could very well turn into another Oggie. Not saying I think that will happen, but we just don't know... Peko should be good cheap insurance.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's just it, we do not know what we have in Billings other than a lot of promise. He has yet to see the field.... he could very well turn into another Oggie. Not saying I think that will happen, but we just don't know... Peko should be good cheap insurance.

Insurance for what?  Maintaining mediocrity?  If the people behind him aren't capable of at least being mediocre, where are we anyway?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's just it, we do not know what we have in Billings other than a lot of promise. He has yet to see the field.... he could very well turn into another Oggie. Not saying I think that will happen, but we just don't know... Peko should be good cheap insurance.

(03-08-2017, 05:52 PM)McC Wrote: Insurance for what?  Maintaining mediocrity?  If the people behind him aren't capable of at least being mediocre, where are we anyway?

Exactly, we have to take a gamble sometimes. I find it to be a pretty good bet if we draft a talented DT to go along
with Atkins, Billings and Deshawn Williams we will be much better off than bringing back an older player that has
already started to fall off. Just me.
Reply/Quote
I like Peko as a rotation d line guy but, our methods of signing so many low tier guys before we handle our big dogs is questionable.

Peko could cost as low as 3 mil per or as much as 6 or 7 knowing how "loyal" our FO is to its guys.

So why commit that money to low tier guys so quickly before you see if you can hit a home run somewhere? Idk about you guys but whenI pay bills, I pay the BIG MONEY ones first and then get around to the smaller ones like Hulu and Netflix ect just in case I went to the bar and had too much fun and cant pay one. lol
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:14 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: So is paying him 4.5 million bucks, when other, younger players are possibly leaving because the team "doesn't have the cap space".

In no way is that pekos fault. So I also don't understand the hate for a guy who's been here 12 years and just so happened to agree to a contract someone offered him. Who wouldn't say yes?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:58 PM)Housh Wrote: I like Peko as a rotation d line guy but, our methods of signing so many low tier guys before we handle our big dogs is questionable.

Peko could cost as low as 3 mil per or as much as 6 or 7 knowing how "loyal" our FO is to its guys.

So why commit that money to low tier guys so quickly before you see if you can hit a home run somewhere? Idk about you guys but whenI pay bills, I pay the BIG MONEY ones first and then get around to the smaller ones like Hulu and Netflix ect just in case I went to the bar and had too much fun and cant pay one. lol

You mean priorities? What the hell are those?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:58 PM)Housh Wrote: I like Peko as a rotation d line guy but, our methods of signing so many low tier guys before we handle our big dogs is questionable.

I see Peko making a vet min being a backup. Now if they're offering that kind of money it means they expect him to start. In no way am I fine with that. Rotational at 1 year vet min (around a million dollars)? I don't see the harm in that. If they find a better option you can release him. If not you have a decent backup. The risk reward is pretty low.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Can someone explain the cut salary cap by 66% shit? Iv never heard of that ever in life
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:19 PM)Housh Wrote: Can someone explain the cut salary cap by 66% shit? Iv never heard of that ever in life

The Bengals have $43m in salary cap space, but announced they would only be using $15m, or 34% of their available cap space.

They announced they weren't using the $6.5m they rolled over from last year. $43m - $6.5m = $36.5m

The draft will be $9.2m. $36.5m - $9.2m = $27.3m

They're saving $5m for injuries. $27.3m - $5m = $22.3m

Then practice squad is about $1m. $22.3m - $1m = $21.3m

My best guess is that they're rolling over the other $6.3m. Leaving themselves with only 34% of their available cap space.

The rookies are what they are. The Bengals could easily spend $30m this year and still cover the rookies, injuries, and practice squad. Instead, they'd rather cut the cap space they'll use by 66%.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Peko hatred is ridiculous.

Completely agree. I want to see both Peko and Whit retire as Bengals. 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:25 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The Bengals have $43m in salary cap space, but announced they would only be using $15m, or 34% of their available cap space.

They announced they weren't using the $6.5m they rolled over from last year. $43m - $6.5m = $36.5m

The draft will be $9.2m. $36.5m - $9.2m = $27.3m

They're saving $5m for injuries. $27.3m - $5m = $22.3m

Then practice squad is about $1m. $22.3m - $1m = $21.3m

My best guess is that they're rolling over the other $6.3m. Leaving themselves with only 34% of their available cap space.

The rookies are what they are. The Bengals could easily spend $30m this year and still cover the rookies, injuries, and practice squad. Instead, they'd rather cut the cap space they'll use by 66%.
WTF. How do you come right out and say this trash?
(03-08-2017, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely agree. I want to see both Peko and Whit retire as Bengals. 
I see Peko HATE a lot on here and don't get it. Dude is a good DT and solid against the run when energized.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am perfectly fine if he signs elsewhere. But if he comes back, hopefully he wont teach Billings to do this during playoff games like the last one..

[Image: thepekoman.0.gif]

Agree,

I want Peko gone because he's just not that good anymore, and when you add in the fact that he's been an instigator in on the field discipline problems as well ! I don't buy the "leadership narrative" one bit.

He yelled hut hut on 3rd and short a couple seasons ago and cost us a shot at winning a game. He's had a few costly personal fouls/altercations. He's kind of low key at it at times but he's a bigger part of the lack of discipline than he gets called out for. IMHO
Reply/Quote
Can't geno and mj mentor billings? I appreciate what he has done but it may be time to move on.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:30 PM)Housh Wrote: I see Peko HATE a lot on here and don't get it. Dude is a good DT and solid against the run when energized.

Well then by all means, let's keep him.
Reply/Quote
There ia really no rush to sign him. Let him test the market and draft another DT. If something happens and he's still available, perfect, use some of that injury pool the bengals pad each year. You don't need him before camp anyways.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely agree. I want to see both Peko and Whit retire as Bengals. 

Well can't Peko go elsewhere, and then we can do one of those feel good signings where he puts his signature on a one day contract to officially retire a Bengal several years from now?  Because I have to say, most of us are about done seeing Peko get pushed into our LB's after waving his arms in the air trying to pump up the crowd prior to the snap.
Reply/Quote