Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pelosi rips one
I dropped in to see exactly what the response was going to be to this. I was, sadly, not surprised in the least. Remember when Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" at Obama during his SOTU address? The condemnation here was nearly universal. IIRC the only one in Wilson's corner was GA9/TommyC. Well, we now have a lot more GA9/TommyC types, which is exactly why I stopped posting in here.
(02-05-2020, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I dropped in to see exactly what the response was going to be to this.  I was, sadly, not surprised in the least.  Remember when Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" at Obama during his SOTU address?  The condemnation here was nearly universal.  IIRC the only one in Wilson's corner was GA9/TommyC.  Well, we now have a lot more GA9/TommyC types, which is exactly why I stopped posting in here.

Thanks? Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-05-2020, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Thanks? Mellow

Like a moth to the flame.  
(02-05-2020, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: Well you sure don't see Trump defenders or Republican members of Congress calling out that historically disrespectful act.....

As if ripping a paper is a far worse action.

Of course we know Americans hold Dems in higher standards so you guys probably think that act will go without criticism by the American voter while as Trump supporters are saying, Pelosi ripping a piece of paper will doom Dems for a generation!

She should have just colluded with another country to attack her political opponent to help her win another election to gain the American voters support. Instead she ripped up a piece of paper. That's all we can take from this.

Benton is far from a Trump defender or Republican member of Congress. It's not accurate to suggest that Benton supports anything you said because he was critical of Pelosi.

There's no need for the non sequitur rant. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Decorum is in the trash. Democrats need to be better. It's what American's want to see from them.

(02-05-2020, 12:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Decorum is in the trash. Democrats need to be better. It's what American's want to see from them.

While I agree this actually is something JJ says quite bit that the Democrats are held to a higher standard.

I want them to act better too, but all this "outrage" is overblown also.  IMHO.
Of course Republicans are fake outraged, demanding Pelosi step down and be removed from congress. No doubt they'd have the votes to impeach her based of a torn piece of paper if they could. This is far worse then colluding with a foreign country in their eyes. The nerve of her to tear up a piece of paper! If Trump supporters cared about America and the constitution like they do a piece of paper being torn then they'd have a better argument.

We are about to see in the impeachment hearing today they don't.

Or I guess they do when it's a Democrat, which is the worst kept secret in American politics (Democrats being held to higher standards, while Republicans can do anything including solicit foreign help to win elections).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(02-05-2020, 12:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Benton is far from a Trump defender or Republican member of Congress. It's not accurate to suggest that Benton supports anything you said because he was critical of Pelosi.

There's no need for the non sequitur rant. 

I'll say what I want.

You know what there is no need for? You to reply if you don't agree.

I'm sure Benton doesn't need you rushing to his aid. And if he does have Trump supporters/defenders rushing to his aid, then.......

Let's just say with friends like that do Democrats need enemy's?

(02-05-2020, 01:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'll say what I want.

I'm sure Benton doesn't need you rushing to his aid. And if he does have Trump supporters/defenders rushing to his aid, then.......

What?  You've been here long enough to know where people generally are politically.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I've also been here long enough to know Republicans think/know Americans will hold Dems accountable for Nancy ripping up a piece of paper for generations to come as being pushed by Trump and Republicans all day while ignoring and refusing to acknowledge any wrong doing by Republicans.

it is quite the phenomenon.

(02-05-2020, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: I've also been here long enough to know Republicans think/know Americans will hold Dems accountable for Nancy ripping up a piece of paper for generations to come as being pushed by Trump and Republicans all day while ignoring and refusing to acknowledge any wrong doing by Republicans.

it is quite the phenomenon.

Don't hate the player....
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

This was funny.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/pompeo-accidentally-proves-the-wrong-point-simpsons-reference?cid=sm_fb_maddow&fbclid=IwAR0xJ2KpvruPZOMDXoFHg5Df4I_egoep4ftfOhfRycKAxzej6aBV09OPC_4

Quote:Pompeo accidentally proves the wrong point with Simpsons reference

One of the more dramatic visuals from Donald Trump’s latest State of the Union address came at the end, when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, clearly disgusted with the president’s display, tore a copy of Trump’s remarks in half.

The president’s Republican allies, pretending to care a great deal about decorum – an ironic point of concern given Trump’s antics – have been quick to condemn Pelosi’s gesture as somehow inappropriate. The president himself seems to care more about the Democratic leader’s display than the content of his remarks.

But it was a member of the president’s cabinet who decided to mock the House Speaker with a single image he promoted via social media.

Quote:Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in an apparent swipe at Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), on Tuesday night tweeted an image from “The Simpsons” of Lisa Simpson tearfully ripping up a sheet of paper.
The tweet came after Pelosi tore up her copy of President Trump’s State of the Union speech immediately after he finished addressing a joint session of Congress. Pelosi later told reporters it was “the courteous thing to do given the alternative.”

If you haven’t seen the tweet, it’s entirely straightforward: Pompeo highlighted an image of Lisa Simpson, sobbing and tearing up a piece of paper. The point, evidently, was for the nation’s chief diplomat to compare the House Speaker to a dejected second grader.

But for those of us who actually know The Simpsons well, Pompeo may not have fully appreciated the point he was inadvertently making.

The image the cabinet secretary promoted came from a 1991 episode called, “Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington.” In it, Lisa, inspired after a trip to Springfield Forest, writes an essay on American greatness. Her work, “The Roots of Democracy,” was so well received that she qualified for a trip to Washington, D.C.

While in the nation’s capital, however, she overheard a lobbyist paying a bribe to a congressman for the rights to tear down Springfield Forest. Heartbroken, Lisa tears up her essay, replacing it with a new one: “Cesspool on the Potomac.” She tells the essay-contest judges, “The city of Washington was built on a stagnant swamp some 200 years ago, and very little has changed. It stank then and it stinks now – only today it is the fetid stench of corruption that hangs in the air.”

In other words, the image Pompeo saw as apt was symbolic of disillusionment in the face of corruption. The image showed a patriot, eager to see the best in her country, disgusted by those who fail to honor the nation’s highest ideals.

If Pompeo sees a parallel between Nancy Pelosi last night and Lisa Simpson’s shattered faith from that episode, the Speaker should probably see that as a compliment.

As for how the episode ended, the corrupt politician Lisa saw – the one who caused her to tear up the paper in front of her – ended up arrested.

It seemed worth mentioning for context.
(02-05-2020, 02:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: This was funny.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/pompeo-accidentally-proves-the-wrong-point-simpsons-reference?cid=sm_fb_maddow&fbclid=IwAR0xJ2KpvruPZOMDXoFHg5Df4I_egoep4ftfOhfRycKAxzej6aBV09OPC_4

That's a bit of a stretch seeing how people tweet images and not the whole backstory, and it apparently needed an entire article to let people know. I get the humor, but it takes a bit too much explanation.

(02-05-2020, 01:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'll say what I want.

I will always defend board members against attacks against them that are completely off base. If you don't want to be criticized for baselessly attacking board members then don't baselessly attack board members. 

It's beyond pathetic. The rest of your post is just asinine. I may disagree with the politics of board members, but I consider the vast majority to be good people who I enjoy having open conversations with on these boards. P&R is a better place without the kind of bull shit you're throwing around right now.

(02-05-2020, 02:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: This was funny.

(02-05-2020, 02:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's a bit of a stretch seeing how people tweet images and not the whole backstory, and it apparently needed an entire article to let people know.  I get the humor, but it takes a bit too much explanation.

If you grew up on the Simpsons like I did, you knew the exact episode the image was from and the context behind it. Not everyone has the same taste in good shows as I do, so many won't get it. 

(02-05-2020, 03:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If you grew up on the Simpsons like I did, you knew the exact episode the image was from and the context behind it. Not everyone has the same taste in good shows as I do, so many won't get it. 

I've seen the episode although I don't know if I would have connected the image to that episode without a reminder.  I remember when they were shorts on that unfunny lady's show.  Tracy something?  

(02-05-2020, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've seen the episode although I don't know if I would have connected the image to that episode without a reminder.  I remember when they were shorts on that unfunny ladies show.  Tracy something?  

Tracy Ulman.

Simpsons came on no less than 4 times a day in the Baltimore/DC area. 5 and 5:30 on Fox DC and then 6 and 6:30 on Fox Baltimore.

I watched it religiously. 

(02-05-2020, 04:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Tracy Ulman.

Simpsons came on no less than 4 times a day in the Baltimore/DC area. 5 and 5:30 on Fox DC and then 6 and 6:30 on Fox Baltimore.

I watched it religiously. 

The episode in question aired the year I graduated from college.  My son starts college this fall and the show is still on the air.   Tongue
(02-05-2020, 04:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: The episode in question aired the year I graduated from college.  My son starts college this fall and the show is still on the air.   Tongue

It first aired as a short on the Tracy Ulman Show the year I was born. Wild stuff lol. I stopped watching around 2005, though, but the first 12 seasons are gold. 

(02-05-2020, 04:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It first aired as a short on the Tracy Ulman Show the year I was born. Wild stuff lol. I stopped watching around 2005, though, but the first 12 seasons are gold. 

I still catch it occasionally.  I don't watch much of anything regularly anymore though.

Between 1990 and 1991 I can remember walking through the dorm on a Sunday night and every room that had a television had FOX on with Married With Children and the Simpsons.  You could hear the entire episode just walking past the rooms.