Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penei goes 2 overall, who do you pick?
(01-07-2021, 12:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: TE does not much of a track record in 1st round with impact...most of your elite TEs today were drafted outside of 1st round.

Kelce 3rd round
Kittle 5th round
Ertz 2nd round
Waller- was drafted later rounds as a WR
Gesicki- 2nd round pic

Most recent first rounder
T J Hockenson was 8th pick 2019.. has been solid
Noah Fant- late 1st round 2019 has been solid

So the track record for TEs seems to be outside of 1st round you can find solid ones..#5 just seems too high....

Expecting to find the next Kelce in the 3rd round is like banking on finding the next Geno in the 4th again.

Kittle only fell so late because of injuries.

You’re not getting a talent that dominated in the SEC as much as Pitts did with a day 3 pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 12:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Expecting to find the next Kelce in the 3rd round is like banking on finding the next Geno in the 4th again.

Kittle only fell so late because of injuries.

You’re not getting a talent that dominated in the SEC as much as Pitts did with a day 3 pick.

Again,, you are really reaching at TE as you talk about history and performance at positions you want to ignore that picking a TE at #5 is high and most successful TEs can  be found even outside 1st round and or much later in 1st round.  You can get a very good TE on Day 2...  Finally TE just does not make sense 5 when you look at our offense and Burrow.  We are not going to restructure the offense around the TE and Burrow succeed well at LSU without top TE.  If anything go WR at #5 but really going Pitts is a unnecessary reach pick at 5
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again,, you are really reaching at TE as you talk about history and performance at positions you want to ignore that picking a TE at #5 is high and most successful TEs can  be found even outside 1st round and or much later in 1st round.  You can get a very good TE on Day 2...  Finally TE just does not make sense 5 when you look at our offense and Burrow.  We are not going to restructure the offense around the TE and Burrow succeed well at LSU without top TE.  If anything go WR at #5 but really going Pitts is a unnecessary reach pick at 5

Pitts us more than a te though. He can line up as a WR also.

Like, he isn’t just a hand in the dirt TE. Hell he doesn’t really block at all, but he will rip seams apart with mismatched though
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 05:27 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Pitts us more than a te though. He can line up as a WR also.

Like, he isn’t just a hand in the dirt TE. Hell he doesn’t really block at all, but he will rip seams apart with mismatched though

S0 are most of TEs I listed.. how about Waller great example . We just dont need that pick at #5  I rather reach at tackle than TE.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 05:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: S0 are most of TEs I listed.. how about Waller great example . We just dont need that pick at #5  I rather reach at tackle than TE.

Did Waller dominate the SEC?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 05:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: S0 are most of TEs I listed.. how about Waller great example . We just dont need that pick at #5   I rather reach at tackle than TE.

(01-07-2021, 06:31 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Did Waller dominate the SEC?

I'm going to have to agree with Essex in this debate.  He makes a strong case that the majority of star TEs in the league came from rounds other than the 1st, and I also agree that the Bengals need a TE, just not with the 5h pick.

The team has greater needs at positions that block or tackle.  If they build those positions strong, from the inside out, skill players will be able to develop and flourish much more efficiently.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to have to agree with Essex in this debate.  He makes a strong case that the majority of star TEs in the league came from rounds other than the 1st, and I also agree that the Bengals need a TE, just not with the 5h pick.

The team has greater needs at positions that block or tackle.  If they build those positions strong, from the inside out, skill players will be able to develop and flourish much more efficiently.

So I have a question. Say they do manage to sign a quality guard and right tackle and Sewell is off the board with Chase, who would you draft? I’m always on the Sewell train, and he can be there at 5, but if tgey are dead set on drafting play makers, you’re looking at waddle, Smith and Pitts. Pitts will make an immediate impact on this team. I can’t say trade back because it takes 2 and that us no guarantee.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again,, you are really reaching at TE as you talk about history and performance at positions you want to ignore that picking a TE at #5 is high and most successful TEs can  be found even outside 1st round and or much later in 1st round.  You can get a very good TE on Day 2...  Finally TE just does not make sense 5 when you look at our offense and Burrow.  We are not going to restructure the offense around the TE and Burrow succeed well at LSU without top TE.  If anything go WR at #5 but really going Pitts is a unnecessary reach pick at 5

(01-07-2021, 05:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: S0 are most of TEs I listed.. how about Waller great example . We just dont need that pick at #5  I rather reach at tackle than TE.

Just because some of the better current players at a certain position went in later rounds doesn’t equate to reaching if you take that position much earlier. If there’s a consensus that a TE like Pitts is a 1st round talent, it’s not reaching. Stefon Diggs led the league in receiving yards this season and he was drafted in the 5th round. Does that mean you’re reaching if you go WR in the 1st because you can just get one as good in the 5th? Tyreek Hill was also 5th rounder, so that must be true right? You see the problem with that logic?

Reaching is taking a guy several rounds too early. Like a Drew Sample in the 2nd. Kyle Pitts in the 1st (even top 5) would absolutely not be a reach. In fact I’ve seen him mocked as high as 4th to the Cowboys when they still occupied that spot.

Reply/Quote

Pitts had more TD’s this season than Waller did all 3 years in the ACC combined.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 06:48 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: So I have a question. Say they do manage to sign a quality guard and right tackle and Sewell is off the board with Chase, who would you draft? I’m always on the Sewell train, and he can be there at 5, but if tgey are dead set on drafting play makers, you’re looking at waddle, Smith and Pitts. Pitts will make an immediate impact on this team. I can’t say trade back because it takes 2 and that us no guarantee.

Well, 1st of all, I don't have faith in the Bengals spending big on 2 FA OL, especially when they'll likely try to pass off the Guard equivalent of Bobby Hart as a major FA investment..  Secondly, as I've stated earlier, they need guys that can block or tackle.  So, if Sewell is off the board, I'd like to see them take the best defender available.  If they DO go offense other than OL, I guess I'd rather see them take Smith at WR.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OG is not traditionally a position taken in the top 10 of the draft either. Was Quenton Nelson a reach?

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 07:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: OG is not traditionally a position taken in the top 10 of the draft either. Was Quenton Nelson a reach?

Yeah, I saw one lazy ass mock that had Wyatt Davis going to the Bengals at 5.  Utterly absurd.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I saw one lazy ass mock that had Wyatt Davis going to the Bengals at 5.  Utterly absurd.

Now that would be a reach lol

Reply/Quote
I don’t think Pitts will be a reach at 5. I feel like if you are in the need of a playmaking receiver threat Pitts can easily fill that role.

I’m a Sewell guy until the Bengals price tgey don’t really have to have him. I’d love Chase and Smith on the team too, but I’d get hyped if Pitts was a Bengal just the same.
Reply/Quote

No in the real league NFL this year...
Reply/Quote
Funny all we hear from many is we need speed outside, need to get ball down field and we are getting excited about picking a TE with 4.7 speed and how we have stop the run better and we are complaining about picking the best LB in the draft to help us do that..
Reply/Quote
We really need to actually stop the negative back and forth. As long as some WR that cannot catch shows up at the combine and runs a 4.22, we're going to get a top prospect. I'd be happy with:

Sewell
Chase
Smith
Pitts
Darrisaw
Rousenau
Parsons
Payne

I really cannot think of anyone I'd be unhappy with.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Funny all we hear from many is we need speed outside, need to get ball down field and we are getting excited about picking a TE with 4.7 speed and how we have stop the run better and we are complaining about picking the best LB in the draft to help us do that..

We just spent a fortune on stopping the run this past offseason by bringing in Reader and Bell. It was literally the main focus of free agency. You’re also taking away snaps from Logan Wilson, Pratt, or ADG by drafting another LB. And they all need to play to develop. Adding a WR or TE only takes away snaps from guys like Auden Tate or CJ Uzomah. Neither of whom should be looked at as core pieces moving forward anyway.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We really need to actually stop the negative back and forth. As long as some WR that cannot catch shows up at the combine and runs a 4.22, we're going to get a top prospect. I'd be happy with:

Sewell
Chase
Smith
Pitts
Darrisaw
Rousenau
Parsons
Payne

I really cannot think of anyone I'd be unhappy with.

You watch that video I posted on Rousseau? I’d be pretty unhappy with him at 5.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You watch that video I posted on Rousseau? I’d be pretty unhappy with him at 5.

I wouldn't be unhappy with a 6'6" 270 lbs. DE that had 15.5 sacks and 19.5 TFL in the ACC if the video showed him doing it with magic.

I did start to watch the video but when the first instance that showed him just missing a strip sack as a negative. I quit watching.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote