Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People That Will Blindly Vote For Biden.....
(08-10-2020, 01:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't.  I just recognize that there are more logical arguments for Biden > Trump presented here and many other places I've looked.  You combat my skepticism of Trump by labeling me a victim of leftist mind-warping and then ask me why I support a candidate I don't intend to vote for.

I'm labeling you as a leftist mind-warping victim? This is as true as when someone tells me I'm calling Covid-19 a hoax when I say its over hyped. The funny thing is I've already had it as has my wife, brother, and sister-in-law. 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Mer Wrote: Yet those "disadvantaged" individuals have more educational things set up for them to succeed as compared to someone from a middle class family. I agree one person's circumstance is not the same as the next but someone raised on poverty has more opportunity for scholarships and financial assistance. I taught in the inner city for over 10 years. I've seen it first hand. The problem is not the lack of opportunity. It's lack of people taking advantage of those opportunities. A lot of it comes down to culture.

And yet when Obama claws his way up and becomes president the neo-cons tear him down and stop their feet and whine until they can give us another man born into billions.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: However, they still have to meet certain educational requirements that their primary and secondary education may not have prepared them for. They also lack the information that informs them of these things. One of the big reasons scholarships and other programs aren't taken advantage of is because people simply don't know. First generation students in higher education lack someone to help guide them through more often than not, which creates a disadvantage for them compared to others.

I can only speak for my district on this. They all knew. It was plastered on every wall in every hall. It was painted on the glass of the trophy cases. "Get all B's and college is free." is exactly what it said. 

Reply/Quote
I dont care who wins honestly. But I will say it now. The world is going to be shocked at how many blacks vote for Trump. That part of the election will be historical. I know a lot of people will laugh at this, but just watch how it plays out and I'll revisit this after the election.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:33 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm labeling you as a leftist mind-warping victim? This is as true as when someone tells me I'm calling Covid-19 a hoax when I say its over hyped. The funny thing is I've already had it as has my wife, brother, and sister-in-law. 

Well, I said why I was skeptical of Trump and you brought up the notion that I was supporting Biden and needing the left-wing narrative to convince me a man who has been criticized for decades, long before he was a "republican" wasn't a country-first kind of guy.  THat's all.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Mer Wrote: Yet those "disadvantaged" individuals have more educational things set up for them to succeed as compared to someone from a middle class family. I agree one person's circumstance is not the same as the next but someone raised on poverty has more opportunity for scholarships and financial assistance. I taught in the inner city for over 10 years. I've seen it first hand. The problem is not the lack of opportunity. It's lack of people taking advantage of those opportunities. A lot of it comes down to culture.

Scholarships are usually given for other reasons besides financial need so I doubt the poor have more opportunities than others.

Financial aid is supposed to go to those with more financial need. So of course the poor have more opportunities for financial aid based upon financial need.

What culture are you referring to?  The poor culture?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:38 PM)Mer Wrote: I can only speak for my district on this. They all knew. It was plastered on every wall in every hall. It was painted on the glass of the trophy cases. "Get all B's and college is free." is exactly what it said. 

This highlights the problem with anecdotal evidence in discussion of policy. There are always going to be exceptions to anything, but when you look at the larger scale and the systems in place it is interesting to see things play out. What you are describing, the program itself, wouldn't be found everywhere. I have seen students come out of high school with a 3.5 GPA and end up flipping burgers because they didn't have access to post-secondary education. A lot of research has gone into these things and it's always very enlightening to look at the data showing the inequities in our educational system in this country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:38 PM)Mer Wrote: I can only speak for my district on this. They all knew. It was plastered on every wall in every hall. It was painted on the glass of the trophy cases. "Get all B's and college is free." is exactly what it said. 

Then it is impossible to make claims about the poor, the middle class, and various cultures if you can only speak for your one district.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2020, 03:03 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Were Americans recently banned from traveling to certain countries?

Yup; our borders are closed and may remain as such, until the summer of next year.

Clearly, you can't be trusted Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:33 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm labeling you as a leftist mind-warping victim? This is as true as when someone tells me I'm calling Covid-19 a hoax when I say its over hyped. The funny thing is I've already had it as has my wife, brother, and sister-in-law. 

You do spread patently false information like  a lot of the Covid 19 positive results are from the flu vaccine because the flu vaccine contains a coronavirus.

There isn't anything about that statement that is even remotely true. 
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yup; our borders are closed and may remain as such, until the summer of next year.

Clearly, you can't be trusted Wink

Off topic, I want to visit Banff National Park when the situation permits.  Have you been and what would you recommend?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 11:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there were some articles, recently, where one of the co-directors discusses how the Matrix was about being trans. Interesting stuff.

Well, I mean, the Architects (absolutely no pun intended) of the entirety of the universe, both are super-trans, so....
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, I mean, the Architects (absolutely no pun intended) of the entirety of the universe, both are super-trans, so....

I pay so little attention to pop culture stuff that it was news to me, ok? LOL

I'm pop culture averse. My wife makes fun of me for how little I know and how few movies/television shows I've seen.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Off topic, I want to visit Banff National Park when the situation permits.  Have you been and what would you recommend?

I have been (thrice), when I lived in Calgary and my recommendations are to get the hell away from Banff LOL

Seriously, the, "park," itself is massive and contains a lot of awesomeness to see, just stay away from the town as it is:

- too touristy
- too expensive
- nothing of substance
- filled with rude aholes.

Honestly, if you know how Niagara Falls in Canada is, Banff is just NF-West, with less electronics and wax museums.

If you were to head to Alberta to see the parks, I would suggest:

- a day or two in Jasper (also nice, but a bit overrated and also densely-populated).
- a day or two at Lake Louise (which is in Banff National Park) and Moraine Lake; the former is just beyond awesome, both in winter and summer.
- at least a day at Waterton National Park. This was the highlight for all the parks for me, when I lived out-west; it has three beautiful lakes, a ton of hiking/driving trails with fantastic views, you can go fishing to your heart's content and there aren't a ton of people there.

On busy days too, Banff literally has a 30 minute-long line of cars to get into town; if you don't go anywhere near the town of Banff, you're alright! And if you need to stay overnight, nearby Canmore is cheaper, quieter and not far away at all :)
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have been (thrice), when I lived in Calgary and my recommendations are to get the hell away from Banff LOL

Seriously, the, "park," itself is massive and contains a lot of awesomeness to see, just stay away from the town as it is:

- too touristy
- too expensive
- nothing of substance

Honestly, if you know how Niagara Falls in Canada is, Banff is just NF-West, with less electronics and wax museums.

- a day or two in Jasper (also nice, but a bit overrated and also densely-populated).
- a day or two at Lake Louise (which is in Banff National Park) and Moraine Lake; the former is just beyond awesome, both in winter and summer.
- at least a day at Waterton National Park. This was the highlight for all the parks for me, when I lived out-west; it has three beautiful lakes, a ton of hiking/driving trails with fantastic views, you can go fishing to your heart's content and there aren't a ton of people there.

On busy days too, Banff literally has a 30 minute-long line of cars to get into town; if you don't go anywhere near the town of Banff, you're alright! And if you need to stay overnight, nearby Canmore is cheaper, quieter and not far away at all :)

You're making me miss the summers I spent in Canada. I used to go to Haliburton Scout Reserve every couple of years when I was a teenager.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I pay so little attention to pop culture stuff that it was news to me, ok? LOL

I'm pop culture averse. My wife makes fun of me for how little I know and how few movies/television shows I've seen.

LOL not a problem!

Larry Wachowski became Lana and Andy became... Lily, I think? Not sure.

Switch in the first film, was to be Male in the real-world and Female in the Matrix, but they couldn't get the look and concept down for 1999; it's why the actor portraying Switch (Belinda McClory), looks rather androgynous.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're making me miss the summers I spent in Canada. I used to go to Haliburton Scout Reserve every couple of years when I was a teenager.

Haliburton, ON? That's about an hour and a half northeast from where I live! Big Grin

We are super-spoiled here when it comes to nature, I must admit Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have been (thrice), when I lived in Calgary and my recommendations are to get the hell away from Banff LOL

- too touristy
- too expensive
- nothing of substance

Mainly fishing, hiking, kayaking, horseback riding.  My daughter would prefer winter for snowboarding.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 02:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Scholarships are usually given for other reasons besides financial need so I doubt the poor have more opportunities than others.

Financial aid is supposed to go to those with more financial need. So of course the poor have more opportunities for financial aid based upon financial need.

What culture are you referring to?  The poor culture?

Again, I can only speak of my own experience. At my former district there was a lot of the victim mentality. There seems to be a lack of responsibility. It starts at home. People are the products of what they've grown up with. And what they've grown up with is normal (good or bad). 

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Mainly fishing, hiking, kayaking, horseback riding.  My daughter would prefer winter for snowboarding.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Waterton for all of that; I caught a (just under a pound) Lake Trout on Upper Waterton Lake, when I went in 2017.

Lake Louise fishing is difficult (the lake is essentially shut off to outside bodies of water, thus there is no in-flow of food; there are fish, but they are small and not heavily-populated) and they don't have Kayaking or Horseback riding (maybe they have the latter now), but you can canoe and hike to your heart's content; it's a bit pricey, but one of my wife's 3 favourite memories of living out West, was the hour we spent Canoeing on LL).

Banff the park has fantastic Hiking and Horseback riding. For fishing specifically, I didn't research it as much as I should have, so I'm not sure, sadly. I would have to think that you kayak on any lake in the park though.
Reply/Quote