Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Adam Schein Andy has career year!
(05-09-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...I think that says more about the players than Austin and I think it's a bit of an excuse. Our LB's were really bad. No 2 ways about it. Nickerson and Evans should not be starting. Bottom line.

It's not like we replaced Austin with Wade Phillips, either.  If picking the wrong DC is the main reason our 2018 defense was god awful then I'm more concerned about the Lou Anarumo hire than I was before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not like we replaced Austin with Wade Phillips, either.  If picking the wrong DC is the main reason our 2018 defense was god awful then I'm more concerned about the Lou Anarumo hire than I was before.

The problem with Austin, IMO, was mainly his playcalling. He'd call the wrong plays at the wrong times and I'm not just talking about the all out blitz on 3rd down though I'd say that would be the perfect example of his atrocious playcalling. There's a reason we wouldn't do too badly on 1st and 2nd downs, but were horrible on 3rd down.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...I think that says more about the players than Austin and I think it's a bit of an excuse. Our LB's were really bad. No 2 ways about it. Nickerson and Evans should not be starting. Bottom line.

no argumemt from me there...our LBers were the worst in Bengals history.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not like we replaced Austin with Wade Phillips, either.  If picking the wrong DC is the main reason our 2018 defense was god awful then I'm more concerned about the Lou Anarumo hire than I was before.

It's not so much about the DC, it's the scheme he was running.  How else could this team play that much better on defense when Marvin took over?  Same players.

Now, there's always the risk that we run a scheme similar to Austin, but I would be surprised.

That being said, don't underestimate the impact that Dalton and some stability on the O-line will have on the defense.  There shouldn't be nearly the amount of 3 and outs as last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do worry about that though. Eifert has played well under half of the games in his career. IF losing him derails the offense in a major way...that's bad.

Our offensive line COULD be improved too. You'd have to think Price will improve. Then Glenn is capable of being better. Miller is slightly better than Redmond. And Williams should be a big upgrade to Hart.

I'm not terribly concerned if Tyler gets injured again (other than feeling terrible for the guy).  Part of the problem last year after losing him was that Lazor never adjusted the offense to account for his absence.  Hopefully Taylor and Callahan will do a better job in that regard.
Reply/Quote

We have a lot of guys in positions 1 or 2 rungs higher than they've ever been in. They might all turn out great, but more likely some will be in over their heads.

It's weird reading this board. I hear people call Taylor a genius.

I would call McVay a genius.

Taylor has done nothing in his coaching career to warrant that...and I think a 'genius' wouldn't have trouble filling out his staff. Generally his peers would see that and flock to him.

Free agency was a bit of a disappointment too. Having that much cap space and not clearly upgrading spots.

We're riding into next year with a similar roster to last year and hoping for health, an easy schedule, and that inexperienced coaches will turn out great. That's a big roll of the dice.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 04:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have a lot of guys in positions 1 or 2 rungs higher than they've ever been in. They might all turn out great, but more likely some will be in over their heads.

Taylor has done nothing in his coaching career to warrant that...and I think a 'genius' wouldn't have trouble filling out his staff. Generally his peers would see that and flock to him.

Free agency was a bit of a disappointment too. Having that much cap space and not clearly upgrading spots.

We're riding into next year with a similar roster to last year and hoping for health, an easy schedule, and that inexperienced coaches will turn out great. That's a big roll of the dice.

cant replace everything in 1 year it will take time for taylor to taylor the roster and team to what he wants.

Everyone starts somewhere...   You call McVay a Genius   McVay said Taylor was a big part of his game planning....
Reply/Quote
I saw this stat in my dream last night for Andy this year.

3892 passing yards
41 passing TDS
4 rushing TDs
6 interceptions
1 receiving TD.
0 “Go Long” advertisements.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 04:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have a lot of guys in positions 1 or 2 rungs higher than they've ever been in. They might all turn out great, but more likely some will be in over their heads.

I don't think anybody here has out and out declared ZT a genius lol.

I think you have a tendency to read comments like "he has potential", "I think he is up to the challenge", or "I am hopeful" when it comes to Taylor and exaggerate juuuuuuuuust a touch.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't Dalton having a big year be expected? I mean in today's NFL rookies are lighting it up throwing 4 TD's and 400 yards a game. A vet QB with his core players not to mention an elite WR in Green who has been one of the best QB/WR tandoms in the game. No reason for Dalton to just be average. But new coach new system will be the excuse on offense while key players coming back from injury on D needing another year to get back to their level of play will be the excuse of the D.

Not trying to be a downer here but Dalton needs to stay healthy and play like a franchise vet. If he has stretches where he's just an average QB we are screwed with this D. He needs to be consistently good! If not he just needs to be replaced at the end of the season. I use to like Dalton but over the years I'm convinced this team will never make it to the big dance with him as the leader. However I am excited to see how he does with Taylor like everyone else. Hope he proves me wrong and has a MVP season.
Reply/Quote
It's not like Austin was calling plays that included not tackling. That's a skill problem with the players. I'm not saying that Austin wasn't a big problem (he clearly was, especially with the players confidence in themselves), but it's kinda silly to not think that the D didn't have problems outside Austin. Tackling, situational awareness and pretty meh talent with some of the starters & backup LB position really hurt us. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this D is in the mid 20's or so by the end of the year. But no way do I see them in the bottom portion of the league again.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 09:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I saw this stat in my dream last night for Andy this year.

3892 passing yards
41 passing TDS
4 rushing TDs
6 interceptions
1 receiving TD.

IF Dalton puts up those numbers, we would go deep playoffs. 6 interceptions?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 11:25 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't think anybody here has out and out declared ZT a genius lol.

I think you have a tendency to read comments like "he has potential", "I think he is up to the challenge", or "I am hopeful" when it comes to Taylor and exaggerate juuuuuuuuust a touch.

I have definitely read comments where people called him a genius.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:07 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It's not like Austin was calling plays that included not tackling. That's a skill problem with the players. I'm not saying that Austin wasn't a big problem (he clearly was, especially with the players confidence in themselves), but it's kinda silly to not think that the D didn't have problems outside Austin. Tackling, situational awareness and pretty meh talent with some of the starters & backup LB position really hurt us. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this D is in the mid 20's or so by the end of the year. But no way do I see them in the bottom portion of the league again.

Yes. The tackling was bad.

I do worry that changing defensive schemes seemed so hard for the players to learn too. That's not good.

I mean, I doubt Austin was calling terrible plays EVERY time and telling them to not Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have definitely read comments where people called him a genius.

The forum search feature disagrees with you, FWIW.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Dalton puts up those numbers, we would go deep playoffs. 6 interceptions?

So, your saying, "In your dreams?"  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's not so much about the DC, it's the scheme he was running.  How else could this team play that much better on defense when Marvin took over?  Same players.

Now, there's always the risk that we run a scheme similar to Austin, but I would be surprised.

That being said, don't underestimate the impact that Dalton and some stability on the O-line will have on the defense.  There shouldn't be nearly the amount of 3 and outs as last year.

I agree with your take here.....but Marvin improved the defense WITHOUT the same players.  Lawson, Glassgow, a couple DTs, went on IR, as did Preston Brown.  Vigil, Burfict, and Dennard all missed time too.  Marvin did better with lesser talent, that shows just how bad Austin was.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 11:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: To be fair, I don't take National media too seriously. It's difficult to cover 32 teams, there's obviously things about this team that he'll never know that is standard knowledge to us about our favorite team. He has to give detailed analysis on the Bills, the Cardinals, the Jaguars . . . I have no problem with this team sliding by under the radar. It's when the spotlights hit this team . . . you can see the piss running down their legs during the National anthem.

Generally, I agree with you, but he's pretty spot on there. We had a terrible defensive showing and showed no urgency to use FA as an avenue to fix it. We also had an offense-first draft. I do think the absolute failure of Teryl Austin played a heavy role in our defensive failures, but I'd be lying if I said a coaching change will remedy everything. I didn't care for the Anarumo hire either, tbh. 

(05-09-2019, 01:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well if the defense is like last year andy will have to have a career year just to keep games close

I don't think we'll be as bad as last year. Pretty sure we can only go up from there. 

I think our days of seeing top 10 defense are probably long over though. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 09:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I saw this stat in my dream last night for Andy this year.

3892 passing yards
41 passing TDS
4 rushing TDs
6 interceptions
1 receiving TD.

Sheesh...that stat line. 

Even if he didn't win MVP, he'd be the MVP in our hearts thanks to 0 "Go Long-er" advertisements. 

I reached out to CP for comment, but his mouth was full.

[Image: palmerhotdog.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The problem with Austin, IMO, was mainly his playcalling. He'd call the wrong plays at the wrong times and I'm not just talking about the all out blitz on 3rd down though I'd say that would be the perfect example of his atrocious playcalling. There's a reason we wouldn't do too badly on 1st and 2nd downs, but were horrible on 3rd down.

I'm not defending Austin at all...it's just a bit scary to say a bad DC hire wrecked 2018 while we roll into 2019 with our 9th choice DC who has a very suspect resume.  I'm a pessimist, but part of me thinks we are going to be blaming 2019 on Lou or Jim Turner.

(05-10-2019, 10:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sheesh...that stat line. 

Even if he didn't win MVP, he'd be the MVP in our hearts thanks to 0 "Go Long-er" advertisements. 

I reached out to CP for comment, but his mouth was full.

[Image: palmerhotdog.jpg]

People's obsession with the ding-dongy-ness of this ad makes me think of this scene:

Reply/Quote