Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Adam Schein Andy has career year!
Is this STILL being argued?

As stated upthread by NKURyan, the crying over Sample is getting silly. We now know from actual reporters and not drafting websites that Sample was on multiple teams boards with a Round 2 grade. If we did not take him where we did odds were he would be gone before we came up again.

Frankly I liked this draft. I liked that for once we had a focus on our picks to fix an issue (blocking) and that focus manifested itself in three picks two of which are likely opening day starters. And Jordan remember took a big draft round hit for his team when he moved to Center as had he stayed at Guard his grade would have been higher by at least one if not two rounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apples and oranges, and tbh I don't think the Reds off-season was all that thrilling.

1. I've defended the Sample pick and even said I liked it.

2. I predicted a QB may be likely to sell tickets. Never said I personally needed one to be excited. 

3. Show any post by me saying this off-season was a complete failure.

4. I've never done that.

From the offseason, I definitely like the Williams pick. When the BAP is a player at your greatest position of need that is amazing.

The Taylor hire was ok. The rest of the staff was meh.

We retained Dennard on a good contract. I'm ok bringing Eifert back, but don't expect much from him.

We drafted some guys with potential.

Hopefully we can extend Green and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 03:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - Del Rio would have been a universally applauded move and I think he would have helped with adding structure to the team and practices.

It was also the obvious move and he seemed to want to come here...then it didn't happen.

With the Taylor hire, the domino's seemed to be lined up to have a HUGE offseason and get the fanbase back, but short of firing Marvin and hiring Taylor...most of the other moves were botched.

They should have went Taylor. Hired Del Rio. Kept Pollack. As OC, Callahan is ok. Not great. Not bad.

Then in free agency, they should have signed 1-2 CLEAR upgrades as opposed to Miller/Hart/Webb. People argue that we need Hart for depth. I'd argue that you never want him playing. Even as a backup.

I guess MB should have called you and asked for your "PROFESSIONAL" opinion, before he botched this all up , before we even take the field????  I gotta ask, are you some football savant? 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 05:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: For me it wasn't just about a new QB, it's the fact that we did nothing else. We didn't add any "name" candidates to the staff and we had a terrible free agency.

Clearly the Bengals think adding a new coach alone will be enough to bring some fans back. 

You can't be serious about the "name" candidate? Which would indicate, we don't know if Coach Lou will be a great, good or a bad DC. So we trash him before the season starts.... That makes sense.... Ninja

As for FA, again you guys are judging before the season even starts. We don't know who will hit the market come June 1st. Why not see how it all works out and give ZT and staff to do what they get paid to do?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 03:50 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I guess MB should have called you and asked for your "PROFESSIONAL" opinion, before he botched this all up , before we even take the field????  I gotta ask, are you some football savant? 

That would have been a GREAT move on his part. He is 0 for 27 when it comes to leading a team to a playoff win.

He probably couldn't afford me though.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That would have been a GREAT move on his part. He is 0 for 27 when it comes to leading a team to a playoff win.

Oh yeah? You seem to do this stuff for free all day long.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That would have been a GREAT move on his part. He is 0 for 27 when it comes to leading a team to a playoff win.

If that happened, Fred would become an immediate Front Office critic.  LOL  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 04:46 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Oh yeah? You seem to do this stuff for free all day long.

You guys and girls are just out there waiting for my next post. Look how many of you are replying!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
There is another place to be; a place between total cynicism and negativity and total fanboyism.....that place is called the world of wait and see. So far we don't have a lot of data points to base things on, basically free agency and the draft.

Free Agency was underwhelming especially in terms of "splash". But we did re sign those it was necessary to and also added players at OG, CB and DE. The draft was rather better with a strategy evident to fix our chronic blocking problems and three players taken to address blocking - two could easily be starting opening day and all three by 2020. Also the players seem to be responding to the change in tone of the team.

Next step? Preseason games - that will be our first chance to see schematically what the new staff is doing. We will also see some of how in game coaching and management will be handled by ZT.

Really there is nothing to say beyond this as we don't know enough.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 07:41 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I like Auden Tate and if he impresses ZT he will make the squad. Dude is 6ft 5 and 230 pounds.And he can sky for the skin. ThumbsUp :andy:

This.  For me, I watched Auden Tate's whole collegiate career being a FSU fan.  He didn't get many opportunities last season, and when he did, it was a mixed bag.  I still believe the potential is there, and maybe a guy like Zac Taylor and his staff can get the best of that potential.  I don't, however, recall anointing him the next Jerry Rice.  Having watched Auden and a guy named Anquan Bouldin play for the Garnet & Gold, I saw some similarities.....albeit Tate would be the poor man's version of Bouldin.  That wouldn't be so bad if he can attain that level.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I've defended the Sample pick and even said I liked it.

2. I predicted a QB may be likely to sell tickets. Never said I personally needed one to be excited. 

3. Show any post by me saying this off-season was a complete failure.

4. I've never done that.

When you took it upon yourself to say how excited The Pistons is about next year I lumped you both together.
Reply/Quote
I feel like this thread got derailed a little bit.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 03:27 PM)Bryan Wrote: I feel like this thread got derailed a little bit.

The Thread got Piston maniad & Fredtoasted as their eternal yin/yang struggle found it's way into it.

It does have a certain entertainment value though, this yin/yang battle between the two.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 08:24 PM)Joelist Wrote: There is another place to be; a place between total cynicism and negativity and total fanboyism.....that place is called the world of wait and see. So far we don't have a lot of data points to base things on, basically free agency and the draft.

Free Agency was underwhelming especially in terms of "splash". But we did re sign those it was necessary to and also added players at OG, CB and DE. The draft was rather better with a strategy evident to fix our chronic blocking problems and three players taken to address blocking - two could easily be starting opening day and all three by 2020. Also the players seem to be responding to the change in tone of the team.

Next step? Preseason games - that will be our first chance to see schematically what the new staff is doing. We will also see some of how in game coaching and management will be handled by ZT.

Really there is nothing to say beyond this as we don't know enough.

This is where i am.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 04:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You can't be serious about the "name" candidate? Which would indicate, we don't know if Coach Lou will be a great, good or a bad DC. So we trash him before the season starts.... That makes sense.... Ninja

As for FA, again you guys are judging before the season even starts. We don't know who will hit the market come June 1st. Why not see how it all works out and give ZT and staff to do what they get paid to do?

I'm talking about casuals, sandwedge. We don't have any casuals on these boards, but they do comprise most of the fan base. That said, Del Rio was a "name" with a far better resume. I would've been good with Anarumo if he had great success elsewhere or past (good) experience as a DC, or if he was viewed as an "up and comer".

None of those things describe Anarumo. As a db coach, he's "just a guy". Never been a coordinator, never had any interviews to be one. Never had any real success as a db coach, where his secondaries have been mediocre at best. You guys keep ripping into anyone who wasn't thrilled by that hire, but you never tell us why we're wrong. Why should I be excited about Anarumo? You tell me. 

As for June 1st, we'll see. Maybe we do wind up getting someone good. I can only judge what happened in March, and it wasn't good.

(05-14-2019, 01:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you took it upon yourself to say how excited The Pistons is about next year I lumped you both together.

I know from speaking to Pistons personally and from various posts on the boards that he's excited as well. He's just also frustrated at what some feel were some missed opportunities this off-season. Funny thing is, I have a feeling that if you met Pistons irl, you guys would agree on most things. His biggest gripe is free agency, which is something you've complained about as well.

You just choose to go at anyone being negative until you feel like indulging in it yourself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know from speaking to Pistons personally and from various posts on the boards that he's excited as well. 

...as clearly demonstrated by the fact that he turned this thread about an article predicting a big season for Andy Dalton into yet another place to whine about the Bengals not winning a playoff game in 27 years/having bad ownership. Again. Topical!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:23 PM)NKURyan Wrote: ...as clearly demonstrated by the fact that he turned this thread about an article predicting a big season for Andy Dalton into yet another place to whine about the Bengals not winning a playoff game in 27 years/having bad ownership. Again. Topical!

I like Pistons but he does try to bring you down.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know from speaking to Pistons personally and from various posts on the boards that he's excited as well. 

No doubt.  It has been a while since we have had as much potential to go 2-14.

I am sure his excitement levels are through he roof.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Pistons but he does try to bring you down.

He doesn't just rip the team.

He openly mocks fans who would consider buying season tickets.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Pistons but he does try to bring you down.

Hey man, he's just being "real". Optimism? You're a homer.
Reply/Quote