Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
(12-12-2022, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Neither of those "drops" were actually recorded as "drops" yesterday either, so we should probably just stop saying they were drops and plays that weren't executed. 

The first miss to Perine on the first drive was because Burrow was sped up most of the first half. He missed Trayveon Williams across the middle later in the half. The ball hit him in the hands but was barely above the turf. I guess that one should have been caught too.

He was missing guys left and right. Burrow did not have a great game yesterday as hard as it is for some of you to hear that. He made enough plays to get the W though - all that matters.

Agreed, both were bad throws to Perine, although he technically had a better shot at the second one. Joe was a little off early, but he got it together and got the job done. All that matters.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 11:56 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Despite Mixon’s big game, I still think Perine is the better option. Sure, Mixon is good when he has big holes to run through, but Perine is far more consistent when the holes aren’t there. Mixon is faster than Perine, but he doesn’t have breakaway speed. We saw that on Mixon’s 40 yard run against the Browns.

People are grasping at straws. I get it Perine had some big games for us there and that's why I'm glad he's on the team and he deserves more reps. But Mixon and Perine both struggle if the hole isn't there. They both got stuffed a few times yesterday and I would say Mixon did better at getting 2 or 3 yds out of it. Mixon didn't take it to the house because the safety had a great angle and he had gotten past his blockers. Perine is solid and I think they're are things he does better but there is a reason Mixon is the starter.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: I feel like they did a better job of spelling each back and evening out their snaps. Mixon had a nice game, Perine kept chugging along. 

Agreed.   They bring different things to the table, but they both killed it yesterday against a Browns team I was dying to beat!    

Nice tandem.   We're going to need to play a lot of keep away the next few weeks.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 12:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Perine would (hopefully) tell you he needs to catch balls that hit him in the hands.

You guys need to really stop with this drop/catch argument. Both balls were terrible throws considering how short they were and Burrow being the one throwing them. 

Anyone that has ever played QB, & many who haven't, were always taught the catch target for WR, TE and RB decreases with each player.  RB needs to be on the money and in the right direction.  

Joe was off early, admitted it himself, silly to argue over.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 02:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You guys need to really stop with this drop/catch argument. Both balls were terrible throws considering how short they were and Burrow being the one throwing them. 

Anyone that has ever played QB, & many who haven't, were always taught the catch target for WR, TE and RB decreases with each player.  RB needs to be on the money and in the right direction.  

Joe was off early, admitted it himself, silly to argue over.

“Terrible” is a stretch, imo. But I’ll gladly admit the throws could have been better and move on.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 12:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: NGL, i'd prefer the #2 seed, keep rolling along. Host 2 games, have Miami win the East so that Buffalo has to travel to KC and beat them, then host the AFCCG. Best of all worlds, imo. 

I only say this because i don't believe the #1 seed is a possibility, at this time.

This argument seems so crazy to me.  Playing 3 games and hoping for a loss instead of only playing 2 with both guaranteed at home?

Of course the next best thing is the 2 seed...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 01:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Agreed.   They bring different things to the table, but they both killed it yesterday against a Browns team I was dying to beat!    

Nice tandem.   We're going to need to play a lot of keep away the next few weeks.

Let's also give huge props to the Bengals defense for keeping Chubb to 2.43 YPC and Hunt to 1.5 YPC.
That's huge.
Reader makes such a big difference in the run game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 02:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This argument seems so crazy to me.  Playing 3 games and hoping for a loss instead of only playing 2 with both guaranteed at home?

Of course the next best thing is the 2 seed...

If it's even remotely possible (which, lets be honest it still is "remotely" possible) i'd prefer the #1 seed. I don't see the Bengals being able to, realistically, get the #1 seed so i'm just looking at them getting #2 and having Miami win the East so that forces Buffalo to go to KC, where they have a better shot than Miami of beating them in Arrowhead. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Neither of those "drops" were actually recorded as "drops" yesterday either, so we should probably just stop saying they were drops and plays that weren't executed. 

The first miss to Perine on the first drive was because Burrow was sped up most of the first half. He missed Trayveon Williams across the middle later in the half. The ball hit him in the hands but was barely above the turf. I guess that one should have been caught too.

He was missing guys left and right. Burrow did not have a great game yesterday as hard as it is for some of you to hear that. He made enough plays to get the W though - all that matters.

Not surprising as they came in high and hot. Burrow was a bit off early yesterday. I'm sure Perine would say he should have caught them, but i wouldn't put any blame on him at all. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 02:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “Terrible” is a stretch, imo. But I’ll gladly admit the throws could have been better and move on.

Nic, Joe makes throws 30 yards downfield into a WR's belly without him looking.... a pass in the flat from him should not require a RB to jump.  Mixon may have grabbed them, who knows, but I bet Joe would say they were terrible due to the short distance and the fact it is Joe (he has set a very high standard).  The good thing is that our big issue from a AFCN football game is 2 check down passes that didnt have any impact.... it's good to be a winning program. 

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 02:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it's even remotely possible (which, lets be honest it still is "remotely" possible) i'd prefer the #1 seed. I don't see the Bengals being able to, realistically, get the #1 seed so i'm just looking at them getting #2 and having Miami win the East so that forces Buffalo to go to KC, where they have a better shot than Miami of beating them in Arrowhead. 
Totally agree.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 11:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NO! We need the Browns to be good next week. Hopefully it jumped to Jerome Boger

I think Boger is the source of the dropsies considering how often the flag "drops" from his hands.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's also give huge props to the Bengals defense for keeping Chubb to 2.43 YPC and Hunt to 1.5 YPC.
That's huge.
Reader makes such a big difference in the run game.

I watched a couple Browns post game shows and we did get a little bit of credit, but both shows were amazed at Reader, especially with their lack of DTs, it was fun to watch...

Reply/Quote
Here is the Perine miss we were talking about. Upon further review he prob should have caught it. It wasn't an "easy" catch by any means though.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Just finished watching the game and both Backs played good which is what I wanted to see.

Think Samaje should of caught the one pass but eh, he made up for it with the TD in the Red Zone.

Really liking our one two punch.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 08:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just finished watching the game and both Backs played good which is what I wanted to see.

Think Samaje should of caught the one pass but eh, he made up for it with the TD in the Red Zone.

Really liking our one two punch.

I keep telling ppl this is a great problem to have this time of year with having two studs.  Mixon on the pitch in the 2-half and Perine on the TD where he refused to quit.  

One thing I didn't like from ZT was the call in the 4th on a second flea flicker.  Those plays usually will only work once in a game. We got cute and it could have cost us big time.  On 3rd down with a 13-point lead, hand the ball off to Samaje, and then on 4th down,  kick the FG and go up by 16, ZT. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 03:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Nic, Joe makes throws 30 yards downfield into a WR's belly without him looking.... a pass in the flat from him should not require a RB to jump.  Mixon may have grabbed them, who knows, but I bet Joe would say they were terrible due to the short distance and the fact it is Joe (he has set a very high standard).  The good thing is that our big issue from a AFCN football game is 2 check down passes that didnt have any impact.... it's good to be a winning program. 

For me, I think it is a concentration thing. I think he loses concentration on the drop offs/check downs, especially when they are short throws and the guy is open. He thinks, "this is an easy pass" and just kind of flips it out to them, but loses concentration sometimes and gets off mechanically. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 04:04 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I keep telling ppl this is a great problem to have this time of year with having two studs.  Mixon on the pitch in the 2-half and Perine on the TD where he refused to quit.  

One thing I didn't like from ZT was the call in the 4th on a second flea flicker.  Those plays usually will only work once in a game. We got cute and it could have cost us big time.  On 3rd down with a 13-point lead, hand the ball off to Samaje, and then on 4th down,  kick the FG and go up by 16, ZT. 

Agree with everything BigDaddy. Do we know Zac called the 2nd flea flicker though? It is a team thing as far as the playcalling goes.

But I doubt Burrow has a flea flicker in his audibles, so it wasn't him... 

Yeah, our playcalling can get a little too cute at times. Need to keep running the ball, that is when our Offense started to really take off.

Stick with it with our two stud backs like you say.
Reply/Quote
Mixon has been running a lot harder recently. I think we are better running two backs it pushes each guy to preform to his best not getting lack luster because he has nobody behind him pushing him.

If Mixon keeps it up and runs hard every game and Perine is there getting reps pushing him, we will win a Super Bowl this year.
Reply/Quote