Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
(12-05-2022, 10:19 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Saying Perine is better than Mixon for this offense is not silly.

Perine hits the open holes and runs over guys. He takes what is there, and doesn’t get cute trying to run outside, which can result in negative yards.

Plus Perine’s pass blocking is elite for a RB. Perine is the perfect RB for this offense

We can't make an accurate comparison as we didn't really see Perine get too many snaps early on behind the struggling line.  Saying Mixon is better overall than Perine isn't a slight to Perine.  He has been great for the Bengals with Mixon out injured.  But Mixon is still the man until he shows he isn't in the offense they have  now.

Remember the deep pass blowing out the Ravens to Mixon last year?  You think Perine catches that?  Be honest.  Perine has been outstanding and I love the dude for it, but saying he is better than Mixon based on four games when the offense found its balance and better blocking isn't really fair.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Stop it.

The last time Mixon played a full game he had 200+ yards and 5 TD’s.

Perine is doing a great job filling in, but some of you have short memories. Mixon is going to eat just as much (if not more) the way this OL is playing right now.

Idc about stats, on 12/4/22 Perine is a better running back than Joe Mixon.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We can't make an accurate comparison as we didn't really see Perine get too many snaps early on behind the struggling line.  Saying Mixon is better overall than Perine isn't a slight to Perine.  He has been great for the Bengals with Mixon out injured.  But Mixon is still the man until he shows he isn't in the offense they have  now.

Remember the deep pass blowing out the Ravens to Mixon last year?  You think Perine catches that?  Be honest.  Perine has been outstanding and I love the dude for it, but saying he is better than Mixon based on four games when the offense found its balance and better blocking isn't really fair.  

Mixon brings an ability to catch the ball deeper down the field that Perine doesnt bring. Both are very capable on screens and out of the backfield, but Mixon brings that downfield element as well. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We can't make an accurate comparison as we didn't really see Perine get too many snaps early on behind the struggling line.  Saying Mixon is better overall than Perine isn't a slight to Perine.  He has been great for the Bengals with Mixon out injured.  But Mixon is still the man until he shows he isn't in the offense they have  now.

the o-line started to get it together with the saints game

Mixon still only had 1 game that wasnt mediocre, and that was the panthers game. Perine allows this offense to do more with his pass blocking ability. It's that simple. And the stiff arms are just the cherry on top
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:34 AM)Housh Wrote: Idc about stats, on 12/4/22 Perine is a better running back than Joe Mixon.

Based on what exactly? A two-game sample size? This is biggest over reaction I've ever seen. 
Reply/Quote

Remember the Jets game? The line hadn't fully gelled at that point and Perine outperformed Mixon. 

Mixon is the more dynamic and physically talented RB, Perine is the more reliable, four yards and a cloud of dust RB. The latter seems to be working better for this offense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
What I like about Perine is he always eeks out 2-4 yards after major contact. Wasn't seeing that from Joe. Joe goes down if he hits a blade of grass wrong in the open field. I'm hoping Perine has earned more snaps. Should be 50/50 upon return. Not to mention his blocking is superior

The load split will pay dividends for the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mixon brings an ability to catch the ball deeper down the field that Perine doesnt bring. Both are very capable on screens and out of the backfield, but Mixon brings that downfield element as well. 

Yeah, and we are all in love with Perine right now, like we were for Higgins and kind of down on Boyd.  Boyd, albeit with a key dropped TD, was 4 receptions for 60 yards on 5 targets (think of what his night could have been without the drop!).  Burrow is SO GOOD at just using the best matchup and finding the holes in the defense.  He have WRs that look HOF one week and have a very pedestrian game the next.  It doesn't mean they suck.

Now, the team has better balance and success running the ball against teams that keep their safeties back.  They have truly reached the "pick your poison" status.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:38 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: the o-line started to get it together with the saints game

Mixon still only had 1 game that wasnt mediocre, and that was the panthers game. Perine allows this offense to do more with his pass blocking ability. It's that simple. And the stiff arms are just the cherry on top

Mixon has delivered his share of stiff arms as well.  Blocking, though, does need to improve in terms of blitz pickup.  Trayveon smacked someone in the Titans game.  Nice to see that guy having some all-around game as well for quality depth.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: Remember the Jets game? The line hadn't fully gelled at that point and Perine outperformed Mixon. 

Mixon is the more dynamic and physically talented RB, Perine is the more reliable, four yards and a cloud of dust RB. The latter seems to be working better for this offense.

the passing game is better with Perine in. Perine runs forward for positive yards. I dont get the push back from fans here

Mixon is more athletic, yes. For an offense with Burrow, these weapons, and an o-line that isnt great at pass protection? Give me Perine

anyone disagreeing is in denial, and I hope Mixon doesnt pout and complain when Samaje eats into his work load
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: Remember the Jets game? The line hadn't fully gelled at that point and Perine outperformed Mixon. 

I remember the Jets game very well.  The Bengals put an extra TE out there that final drive and showed some real drive in their blocking.  Mixon didn't get a chance to do that because he was injured (I think?).  We still owe Joe the opportunity to show what he has with the more balanced, less predictable rushing attack.  
Reply/Quote
Perine seems to get the extra couple yards, and if you don't tackle him well he will get an extra ten, but I'd like to see Mixon in another game and see if the same guy that played against Carolina shows up. And certainly give Perine more playing time. It's better for everyone including Mixon.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Y’all not even bringing up the most important aspect of why Perine is better

Have y’all been noticing blitzes are getting picked up at a very high rate with Perine

ThTs not luck
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:43 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: the passing game is better with Perine in. Perine runs forward for positive yards. I dont get the push back from fans here

Mixon is more athletic, yes. For an offense with Burrow, these weapons, and an o-line that isnt great at pass protection? Give me Perine

anyone disagreeing is in denial, and I hope Mixon doesnt put and complain when Samaje eats into his work load

Yes. Perine is what this style of play needs. Excellent pass blocking, positive yards in the run game, reliable outlet in the pass game with the potential to turn a dump off into a big play. For a lot less money, and that's a huge caveat in my opinion. 

I like Joe, I like his passion, I've liked his efforts in terrible teams, but he has a net negative effect on our passing game because he's such a huge liability in pass pro. We are forced to tip our hand when we replace him with Samaje. 

I don't think Mixon will pout if that's the case. He doesn't seem like that kinda guy, and seems to be a great teammate.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember the Jets game very well.  The Bengals put an extra TE out there that final drive and showed some real drive in their blocking.  Mixon didn't get a chance to do that because he was injured (I think?).  We still owe Joe the opportunity to show what he has with the more balanced, less predictable rushing attack.  

He played that day, I think he dinged his ankle during the game. Joe kills us in passing situations. We either have to hope and pray he actually picks up a block, or tip our hand by subbing him out. I think it's time to reduce his role. The offense has looked more balanced since his departure and way less predictable.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:47 AM)Housh Wrote: Y’all not even bringing up the most important aspect of why Perine is better

Have y’all been noticing blitzes are getting picked up at a very high rate with Perine

ThTs not luck

The OL being markedly better the past few games has more to do with that. 
Reply/Quote
Back this board up about 4-5 weeks and people were saying Perine was a garbage back.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Back this board up about 4-5 weeks and people were saying Perine was a garbage back.

People wanted him cut after the Super Bowl. 

Recency bias is real.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Back this board up about 4-5 weeks and people were saying Perine was a garbage back.

You wouldn't see it from me. He's played better down the stretch than I anticipated, but I've always liked him just simply for his impeccable pass pro. A lot of casual fans don't recognize the importance of his blitz pick-ups, or his chip and release into the flat. 

Now, I'd be lying if I said I saw this kind of production coming from him, but I've always felt he was solid, and a good blocker.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:47 AM)Housh Wrote: Y’all not even bringing up the most important aspect of why Perine is better

ThTs not luck

Whatever has been working in terms of keeping pressures off of Burrow, I am all for. I was so impressed with the pocket he had yesterday. And I saw a report that of Burrow's 31 pass attempts, there were NO pressures on 27. There were times he sat in a clean pockets for several seconds surveying the field.

I have no idea how much Perine contributed to that clean pocket. If it was an important factor, then by all means, keep Perine in there. According to some stats placed above in this thread, Perine is a much better pass blocker.
Reply/Quote