Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
(12-05-2022, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: You wouldn't see it from me. He's played better down the stretch than I anticipated, but I've always liked him just simply for his impeccable pass pro. A lot of casual fans don't recognize the importance of his blitz pick-ups, or his chip and release into the flat. 

Now, I'd be lying if I said I saw this kind of production coming from him, but I've always felt he was solid, and a good blocker.

Nope, not from you. Mostly from the same people who think Hubbard is a garbage end because he doesn't get as many sacks as Trey
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to try to debate who's better.

I will say this. Perine has done a fantastic job in filling in with Mixon out. He is running through tackles and directly over defenders when he needs to. He's answered the bell virtually every time we've needed him.

We'll see what Mixon looks like when he comes back. The best part is we have options.
Reply/Quote
It’s good to see Perine playing,IMO,the best football of his NFL career.Just another improved offensive weapon for our team,and that’s great.
Moving forward to this playoff run we need everyone at their best.I think it’s great,but,Joe Mixon is still your starting RB going forward.We have a really good one two punch now,and just be thankful for that.
Reply/Quote
I'm not calling for Mixon to be benched upon a healthy return but Perine definitely has cemented a larger share of the workload. It would be easy to give him the MVP of the last couple of weeks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mark me down as a Perine believer. Think he's earned the starting job for multitude of reasons.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I have said this for a long time...HB's are interchangeable. Their results for the most part are functions of the blocking and the defensive box count. I will say Perine does a good job powering through tackles when contact is made behind LoS to minimize negative plays. End of the day the major takeaway should be that Mixon is a prime cut candidate to find cap if needed.
Reply/Quote
Perine has been a beast and fun to watch. Kind of like watching the WR core step up when Chase was out. But you can't argue it was nice to have Chase back in the mix yesterday. And it will be equally as nice to get Mixon back, who's going to have a lot to prove. I see no reason these guys can't work together, but it'll be dependent on how they're used. I'm not ready to say that Perine is better than Mixon, but he's been easy to root for and you love seeing a guy the other teams can't bring down.
Reply/Quote
You have to go with the hot hand right?

Samaje is just playing really well I believe how he's scraping up extra yards as a receiver has sold it for me. We have consistantly seen Perine fight for that first down.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
In fairness to Mixon the line was a mess early in the season.

This is a good problem to have. Use them both so they have fresher legs in the second half of games against a defense our line has been pushing on all game.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
We’re not benching Joe Mixon. Even if it were a good idea (which it is not), they still wouldn’t do it. Mixon is a captain and a leader on this team, and you cannot sit him down like that without feeling negative personnel effects because of it.

The whole thread is an overreaction, but not unexpected.

Perine will definitely be given a larger amount of carries now, and if anything, it will disguise our play calling since he won’t only be in there on obvious passing downs any longer. He will not see a majority of the snaps though…

It’s good to have them both.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Relax.... It's just that Perine FITS the required offensive role better than Mixon does. Mixon's strengths and style would excel a lot more in a different system. I'd definitely make Perine the starter.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 04:41 PM)Yogo Wrote: Relax....  It's just that Perine FITS the required offensive role better than Mixon does.  Mixon's strengths and style would excel a lot more in a different system.  I'd definitely make Perine the starter.

Bingo. Mixon in the 49ers, Dolphins, titans, falcons, colts offense? Better than Perine

Mixon in a Chiefs, Bengals, Bills offense? Not better than Perine

it's not that he is less talented than Perine, it's just Samaje is built for this kind of offense

I'd like to see a 50/50 split
Reply/Quote
I don't have a hard opinion on this, but I keep my mind open.

I'm sure many of you would've thought it was stupid to start Rudi over Dillon back in 2003.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The 2nd to last time Mixon played a full game, he ran for 27 yards on 8 carries (3.4 ypc).
The 3rd to last time Mixon played a full game, he ran for 58 yards on 17 carries (3.4 ypc).

And, in that Panthers game, Perine ran it for 51 yards on 6 carries (8.5 ypc), which was a better yards per carry average than Mixon (7.0).

All but one of Perine's carries in that game came in the second half after Mixon had already shredded them for 113 yards on 15 carries and  4 catches for 58 yards in the first half.   By that time the Bengals were up 35-0 and the Panthers' D was done.

Perine is a great asset for the team, but Mixon showed in that game what he can do when the Oline is giving him enough of a gap to get going.  I hate his tendency to dance in the backfield, but he showed in that game the explosiveness that he brings to the table.  He has also showed his ability with some really beautiful catch and runs during that period.

Mixon has been an explosive threat and it's foolish to suggest putting that on the shelf without giving him more opportunities now that that line is playing as we'd hoped.   I'd love to see more two back sets with both Perine and Mixon - shades of Ickey Woods and James Brooks.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is expected to clear protocol this week. Once he didn't clear on Friday, Zac decided at that point to not play him. He didn't want to risk a barely healed Mixon and lose him for the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's a thunder and lightning kinda thing. Let them both play
Reply/Quote
I think all of the "pro Perine" people's perspectives are a bit skewed.

The chunk of Perine's carries have come AFTER the switch to the gap run scheme. He never had to play behind this OL when they were plodding trying to make the wide zone scheme happen...so there was never really an opportunity for him to look bad.

There's a reason Mixon has looked better since the switch to the gap scheme. Couple that with the bye week to get his ankle right and it's not really fair to compare Mixon and Perine. Perine has been set up for success since he's taken over...Mixon had to deal with the mess of the OL through the first half of the season.

I think a lot of us forget just how explosive Mixon can be. Yes, Perine is a great power guy who can get 8-9 yards, but Mixon is a guy that can rip off a 40 yarder in both the run and pass game. No way in hell I am giving up on Mixon unless he continues to struggle.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing them both on the field at the same time. Mixon has been split out as a WR before. Or we could actually trying running from an I formation with Perine blocking as a FB.

Reply/Quote
I've been Team Mixon during his term here. When he comes back, he will play, but Perine will and should get far more snaps. Will see how Mixon does with the approving line and scheme. At the end of the year, it would be nice for him to rework a team friendly deal and stay, but he is so darn expensive for what he adds.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 04:37 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: We’re not benching Joe Mixon. Even if it were a good idea (which it is not), they still wouldn’t do it. Mixon is a captain and a leader on this team, and you cannot sit him down like that without feeling negative personnel effects because of it.

And IF Burrow starts getting sacked more when Mixon is in? 
Reply/Quote