Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Perine is better than Mixon
Mixon is the starter. I'm fine with getting Perine more carries and he has earned the opportunity. I really think all the running backs have shown good recently and I wouldn't mind having all 4 active vs the Browns to try and take advantage of there weakness. I think most of the difference in the run game is the blocking. Mixon and Perine are very similar backs and the things one does better than the other are not that much of a difference in my opinion.
How many people wanted to cut Perine after the Superbowl? I think he's shown why he deserves a roster spot.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 03:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: mixon is too in love with trying to juke and cut outside. Perine's style of just hitting the hole works way better

samaje isnt going down easy, and his stiff arms are unreal.

I think Mixon still runs as if he was taking the ball from Burrow when he lines up under center because he'd get the ball and either hit the hole hard or slow down for a split second before he saw his hole and then he'd hit the line hard. That doesn't work as well from the gun because the backers have more time to decide to commit or not.

I mentioned that but people pointed out that he ran the ball better from the gun. 

If Mixon is more decisive and stops dancing so much behind the line, I think he's the better back.
Reply/Quote
Haven't read this whole thread but I just wanted to point out that Mo Egger (who I've listened to loyally for many years) two years ago sarcastically ripped Perine when he was inserted for Mixon. I'm glad the Bengals stuck with him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Stop it.

The last time Mixon played a full game he had 200+ yards and 5 TD’s.

Perine is doing a great job filling in, but some of you have short memories. Mixon is going to eat just as much (if not more) the way this OL is playing right now.

Yep. Perine plays hard, but he's not a hr threat.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:55 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Haven't read this whole thread but I just wanted to point out that Mo Egger (who I've listened to loyally for many years) two years ago sarcastically ripped Perine when he was inserted for Mixon. I'm glad the Bengals stuck with him.

Remember all the lament for Perine being in on the last play of the SB instead of Mixon?
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is balling too. I feel like Williams or any back we play will look decent.

That's not to say that Mixon didn't struggle early in the year. He did.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Perine plays hard, but he's not a hr threat.

you dont need a homerun threat. You need consistency. The receivers and the passing game is the homerun threat. And Perine helps that too by being maybe the best pass blocking RB in the game
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you dont need a homerun threat. You need consistency. The receivers and the passing game is the homerun threat. And Perine helps that too by being maybe the best pass blocking RB in the game

Play them both. It's what Dallas does. Doesn't have to be 1 or the other.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Play them both. It's what Dallas does. Doesn't have to be 1 or the other.

agreed
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 05:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't have a hard opinion on this, but I keep my mind open.

I'm sure many of you would've thought it was stupid to start Rudi over Dillon back in 2003.
The situations are pretty similar. Perine is a better receiver then Rudi ever was though. 
(12-05-2022, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Play them both. It's what Dallas does. Doesn't have to be 1 or the other.

Yep no reason not to play them both
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Seems like only yesterday that "Evans is better than Perine" was envouge
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
For those calling to play both.... only works if your alternating drives. Can't have Mixon in for 1st, and 2nd down and then bring in Perine.

I've enjoyed seeing Perine because I honestly believe and I think a lot of you do as well. Bengals are flat out not predictable when he's playing.

This offense doesn't need a RB who goes out and gets you 100 yards. It needs 40 rushing and 30 receiving. Which is Perine all day.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 05:25 PM)Roland Wrote: All but one of Perine's carries in that game came in the second half after Mixon had already shredded them for 113 yards on 15 carries and  4 catches for 58 yards in the first half.   By that time the Bengals were up 35-0 and the Panthers' D was done.

Perine is a great asset for the team, but Mixon showed in that game what he can do when the Oline is giving him enough of a gap to get going.  I hate his tendency to dance in the backfield, but he showed in that game the explosiveness that he brings to the table.  He has also showed his ability with some really beautiful catch and runs during that period.

Mixon has been an explosive threat and it's foolish to suggest putting that on the shelf without giving him more opportunities now that that line is playing as we'd hoped.   I'd love to see more two back sets with both Perine and Mixon - shades of Ickey Woods and James Brooks.

.....and then came back down to earth the very next week before getting injured, while Perine scored 3TDs. He also is a liability in pass protection, two fold. One, if he's in, he sucks at it. Two, we have to sub for him, making us more predictable. 

It's not nearly as foolish as some of you guys think. Numbers don't lie.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 08:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think Mixon still runs as if he was taking the ball from Burrow when he lines up under center because he'd get the ball and either hit the hole hard or slow down for a split second before he saw his hole and then he'd hit the line hard. That doesn't work as well from the gun because the backers have more time to decide to commit or not.

I mentioned that but people pointed out that he ran the ball better from the gun. 

If Mixon is more decisive and stops dancing so much behind the line, I think he's the better back.

But he's done that exactly once all season. I agree, he *should* be the better back.....but he simply hasn't been. His blocking is pitiful too. 

Lemme ask the folks saying it's crazy to consider starting 34.....game on the line and you need three yards. Based on the year as a whole, who you trust to get it, 34 or 28? 

I find it comical that people say Perine didn't have to run behind the same scheme, lol. Of course he did, he's played in EVERY game. Hilarious

That said, he'll definitely get a crack to try it again, and he should. He's been here a while and has earned the C on his jersey. However, if we continue to get more of the same, it shouldn't take long to yank him. No one is forgetting anything, we're just watching a better, more balanced offense with him out vs two rather good opponents.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Remember all the lament for Perine being in on the last play of the SB instead of Mixon?

That was mainly so people could rip on our "shitty coach" some more. If I'm the staff, I'd absolutely have had him in over Mixon. Who do you trust to pick up a blitz on that critical down if need be?

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:28 PM)QueenCity Wrote: For those calling to play both.... only works if your alternating drives. Can't have Mixon in for 1st, and 2nd down and then bring in Perine.

I've enjoyed seeing Perine because I honestly believe and I think a lot of you do as well. Bengals are flat out not predictable when he's playing.

This offense doesn't need a RB who goes out and gets you 100 yards.  It needs 40 rushing and 30 receiving.  Which is Perine all day.

Bingo 

Reply/Quote
We either trust these coaches to play the right guys or we don’t. We were all freaking out about Volson as a starter going into the season and that’s looking like it was totally the right call. This coaching staff has earned our faith.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Perine plays hard, but he's not a hr threat.

IDK, he looked pretty good taking that screen pass last season to the house from about 40 out... Wasn't that against the Chiefs?
Reply/Quote
All I’m going to say is Perine seems to get the tough yards keeping drives alive.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 07:08 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: And IF Burrow starts getting sacked more when Mixon is in? 

I think there may be a link between Perine's presence and keeping Burrow upright.  That's why I am wayyyyy more pro Perine just for that factor alone.
Reply/Quote