Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perine to Broncos
(03-14-2023, 06:30 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Losing Perine will not close our window.

Being gutted and it being very quiet on incomings will.

To say it was rumoured the first couple of days was going to be about keeping our own it’s not exactly being a cracking job.

Yeah, Bell and Perine were surprises. We dodged the bullet bigtime on coaches, but not so much on players these first two days of free-agent agreements. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When the Bengals said they intended to keep their own free agents rather than go out and sign external free agents, who do you think they were referring to?

Well, obviously, Michael J. Thomas, Jalen Davis, Joe Bachie, Cal Adomitis, and Pratt. 

Look, we paid zero reserves more than $3 mil per year last year, or the year before. For Perine, and others, teams with more cap room and no looming issues could always make it difficult to keep some of our guys. 

The way to keep the team together (as much as possible), for as long as possible, is not to overpay for anybody. To our credit, but also to my frustration as a fan, we are not doing that. Bell's deal had a funky structure, with $10 mil vs the cap the last two years that were likely problematic for us. If folks don't want to pay $10 mil for a RB1, then $4 mil for a backup makes no sense. 

I don't see any way Mixon is cut pre-draft at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:49 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Pissed at this one.

Thats not a cap killing deal for us to offer , plus keeping Perine would have guaranteed Mixon going.

There was no drop off when Perine was starting and his pass blocking is beyond what we have in the RB room.  

Perine plus a mid round draft pick would have been fine.

Same way I feel, I thought Samaje deserved a bigger contract like that from us as well. He did a lot of dirty work for us.
Reply/Quote
I guess the "culture" isn't all it was cracked up to be if players are out the door like this.

Joking aside, this is bad. It means we have no one in the backfield room who is even average at pass protection and our RB1 is the worst pass protecting back in football. In concert with both OTs coming off major injuries this is troubling.

Just remember, we need the money for Burrow and Chase....and watch news come out that contract talks with Burrow have stalled...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, was expecting to sign some of our own at least today, but nah, we just losing more guys that helped us on our Championship 
journeys lol I am normally not like this and I bet this changes in the next couple of days, but this sure didn't start out like the Bengals
lead us to believe. Happy we got Pratt back but come on man.

Heh! I could always count on you to be uplifting and put a positive spin on things. Now, I'm getting worried.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, obviously, Michael J. Thomas, Jalen Davis, Joe Bachie, Cal Adomitis, and Pratt. 

Look, we paid zero reserves more than $3 mil per year last year, or the year before. For Perine, and others, teams with more cap room and no looming issues could always make it difficult to keep some of our guys. 

The way to keep the team together (as much as possible), for as long as possible, is not to overpay for anybody. To our credit, but also to my frustration as a fan, we are not doing that. Bell's deal had a funky structure, with $10 mil vs the cap the last two years that were likely problematic for us. If folks don't want to pay $10 mil for a RB1, then $4 mil for a backup makes no sense. 

I don't see any way Mixon is cut pre-draft at this point. 

Cannot disagree, also think all those things made this happen. Also, it costs us less to cut Mixon after 6/1 and there are lots of RB's
out there to be had in both FA and in the Draft. I just didn't like losing Perine, but that is a bit much for him if he isn't starting.

Would rather have a couple RB's that are threats to take it to the house and can also pass block than just relying on Perine as the 
starter like those numbers would allude.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: I guess the "culture" isn't all it was cracked up to be if players are out the door like this.

Joking aside, this is bad. It means we have no one in the backfield room who is even average at pass protection and our RB1 is the worst pass protecting back in football. In concert with both OTs coming off major injuries this is troubling.

Just remember, we need the money for Burrow and Chase....and watch news come out that contract talks with Burrow have stalled...

Trayveon Williams is way better in pass protection than Mixon...

(03-14-2023, 06:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: Heh! I could always count on you to be uplifting and put a positive spin on things. Now, I'm getting worried.

Sorry bud, this one hurt me a bit, but I actually understand it if we are looking for a more explosive back to start.

Need to see some Bengal moves to get me back on track LMAO! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This the Burrow deal effect the pundits were so gleeful to say would happen. AFC is surely celebrating. I think 2023 is pointing to a rebuild of sorts. Not a 3 year plan but certainly with the roster being gutted it’ll take at least a year. They aren’t in win now mode.

This should also put to rest finally this notion that players will chase championships. Broncos, Panthers, ATL. All getting chosen over remaining with Burrow and the Bengals…..

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way I feel, I thought Samaje deserved a bigger contract like that from us as well. He did a lot of dirty work for us.

Maybe we sign Miles Sanders. HE just thanked Philly for everything after they signed Rashad Penny Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, this one also hurts. Wanted Samaje back. Need a pass protecting RB now, Jamaal Williams almost seems likely after this
or Mckissick just got cut from the Commanders who is a 3rd down back with speed. Happy we have Trayveon who can pass block.

I think we will be drafting a RB. It's a deep class and that makes the most sense to me. Not sure what that means for Mixon. I'm guessing he'll be on the team. Any cap savings made by cutting him will be a waste at this point with missing out on some signings.
Reply/Quote
Samaje Perine staying or leaving was never going to move the needle. He did earn a payday and I'm happy he got it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: This the Burrow deal effect the pundits were so gleeful to say would happen. AFC is surely celebrating. I think 2023 is pointing to a rebuild of sorts. Not a 3 year plan but certainly with the roster being gutted it’ll take at least a year. They aren’t in win now mode.

This should also put to rest finally this notion that players will chase championships. Broncos, Panthers, ATL. All getting chosen over remaining with Burrow and the Bengals…..

Whoa, slow the bus down pal... Say What

(03-14-2023, 06:59 PM)pulses Wrote: Maybe we sign Miles Sanders. HE just thanked Philly for everything after they signed Rashad Penny Hilarious Hilarious

Weird ass FA, yah never know. We could end up with a lot of talent honestly. Just weird how we said we were going to keep our own 
and the NFL just said, lets poach the Bengals players that helped them turn shit around. I sure am not in a few guy's corner thinking 
we are in re-build mode cause we couldn't bring some guys back before FA even officially started.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. BTW, do your guys Justice Hill and D'Ernest Johnson pass block any?

Can't be worse than Mixon, right? I mostly want one of them as a backup, anyway, to go with a RB in the draft.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I like Perine, but not a huge loss.

This one hurts the worst of the losses so far to me. Our ability to win a Superbowl is directly connected to our ability to protect Burrow. I hope we can find a cheap back who can block as well as Perine did.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trayveon Williams is way better in pass protection than Mixon...

Sorry bud, this one hurt me a bit, but I actually understand it if we are looking for a more explosive back to start.

Need to see some Bengal moves to get me back on track LMAO! Hilarious

But Mixon is RB1 and Williams is not even average in pass protection. Mixon is the RB1 and the worst pass protecting back in football. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think we will be drafting a RB. It's a deep class and that makes the most sense to me. Not sure what that means for Mixon. I'm guessing he'll be on the team. Any cap savings made by cutting him will be a waste at this point with missing out on some signings.

No doubt we will be drafting a RB and maybe even a Safety if we don't add some in FA. Think we will add a vet RB and Safety though 
after this. It makes sense to wait on cutting Mixon now at the very least. Costs us less post 6/1. 

(03-14-2023, 07:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Samaje Perine staying or leaving was never going to move the needle. He did earn a payday and I'm happy he got it.

Agree with that. Good for Samaje.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: This the Burrow deal effect the pundits were so gleeful to say would happen. AFC is surely celebrating. I think 2023 is pointing to a rebuild of sorts. Not a 3 year plan but certainly with the roster being gutted it’ll take at least a year. They aren’t in win now mode.

Yep, Burrow deal effect except no Burrow deal. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't be worse than Mixon, right? I mostly want one of them as a backup, anyway, to go with a RB in the draft.

Right. Sounds good to me, just sign somebody. I am gettin' desperate ha ha

(03-14-2023, 07:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: But Mixon is RB1 and Williams is not even average in pass protection. Mixon is the RB1 and the worst pass protecting back in football. 

Saw Trayveon make some great blocks last year in limited snaps. Yes Mixon is probably the worst and why I am for cutting him when
time permits. Luckily there are tons of options, just liked Perine. Shouldn't be a big loss though as long as we get some pass protector
RB's in FA and in the Draft. Might end up better off.
Reply/Quote
Perine was a fine backup, and as a career backup, taking the money when you can get it is always a good move.

But I will keep saying what I have said before. Us paying reserves $2+ mil is rare (Scharping & Dax Hill last year). No one the year before, though XSF ended up as one at $3 mil. If we view guys like Apple & Perine as reserves, it is unlikely we go over $2 mil, much less $3 mil, to pay them.

Now, of course, at the rate we are going, we are gonna have $35 mil & there are only 2 starting spots open (TE & S). So there should be a LOT left over to hit up depth CB, WR, RB, IOL, and maybe even DE.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hunt is available? And healthy?

Yes and yes. Underutilized in Cleveland but you have issue of character. I would be thrilled if we signed him. Better than Mixon and Perine, but don’t know about how it would impact team chemistry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote