Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal attacks need to stop
(02-01-2016, 07:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I appreciate the answer, but I was just joking.

Well. Damn.

LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-01-2016, 07:02 PM)Benton Wrote: To the bold, Ah, gotcha.  ThumbsUp

As far as calling out BS, it's encouraged. Even if I'm the BS'er (in terms of PnR topics anyway). That's part of the forum. And, hopefully, it helps people have a better (if not new) perspective about a topic.

So, it would seem that we have a general consensus that calling out BS is fine, it is just the manner in which the BS is called out. Calling out individuals rather than their BS is not good.

Examples:
"I disagree with (fill in the blank), because (yada, yada, yada)". = very good
"How can you say (fill in the blank)?" = okay
"You are an idiot for saying (fill in the blank)!!!" = No. Just... no.
"You always say that and I have always proved you wrong. Case in point..." = okay
"Every time (fill in the name) posts on here, he/she always says (fill in the blank) and it hurts my butt to see it!!!" = No
"Bengalzona has an exceptionally large manhood!" = very good
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-01-2016, 09:52 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: "Bengalzona has an exceptionally large manhood!" = very good

what's so great about having a large belly?

I never understood why men always say that kind of stuff. Even the skinny guys who talk about their "Manhood" and how big it is, are they anorexic and see themselves as fat when they look in the mirror? 
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
I've always been more of a "light a candle instead of curse the darkness" type. So that is why I offered up this user guide to help folks contribute substance:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-01-2016, 10:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always been more of a "light a candle instead of curse the darkness" type.  So that is why I offered up this user guide to help folks contribute substance:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

What does that reference say about people claiming they can control tornados?
(02-02-2016, 03:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What does that reference say about people claiming they can control tornados?

It doesn't address that; however, I was able to consult my guide and determine what you did is a fallacy known as a Red Herring:

Quote:A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:
Quote:
  1. Topic A is under discussion.
  2. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
  3. Topic A is abandoned.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]