Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your favorite single Bengals play since you've been a fan.
(07-15-2020, 07:14 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: One of the plays which sticks out to me is the Redskins-Bengals 1988 season finale.  Boomer pulls off perhaps the greatest play-action fake of all time.  A Redskins defender (Dexter Manley if I remember correctly) actually tackled James Brooks and then celebrated it.  Boomer hit Eddie Brown for a long TD that turned the tide in that game.  The entire defense was fooled by it though.  I've never seen an entire defense so completely fooled.

I totally remember that game because it was on TV in New Jersey (It was a Saturday game). Bengals were lucky to win that though; Lohmiller missed a chip-shot FG that would have won it for the Redskins. Game went into OT and Bengals won.  Bengals lose that game, they don't have home field advantage in the playoffs. 

Interestingly enough, in 1981 the Bengals were lucky to win the season finale against the Falcons. Mick Luckhurst missed a chip shot that would have won it for the Falcons at the buzzer. Bengals win that game to go 12-4 and securing home field advantage. They lose that game, the Freezer Bowl probably doesn't happen. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 02:16 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They lose that game, the Freezer Bowl probably doesn't happen. 

We would have still played the Chargers at home.  It just would have been a week earlier.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 02:10 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My favorite play was when Johnny Manzel did that show me the money motion and immediately after the Bengals defense sacked him. They did the show me the money motion then.

Manziel never did it once in the game against us.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably the toughst catch I have ever seen was when Green snagged that hail mary one-handed on the last play of the first half against the Browns in '16.

Probably the most clutch catch was Green pulling in a hail mary that was tipped around on the last play of the fourth quarter against the Ravens in 2013. It tied the game, but most people don't remember it because we lost in overtime.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 08:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Manziel never did it once in the game against us.

Yep.

Because he didn't make any plays.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 08:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.

Because he didn't make any plays.

Exactly! LOL

I was waiting for that response Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Honorable mention:

2005 home game vs the Vikings. Carson hits Chad in stride for the opening score. I think it was about a 70 yarder. They played "I'm a believer" in the stadium during the commercial break. Literally everyone in the stadium was dancing and singing along. It was magical.

All time favorite: 1988 AFC championship game. It was either Fulcher or Thomas I think picked off Jim Kelly late in the game in the end zone to ice it. My Dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss Texas at the time so we weren't able to go to the game. He jumped up screaming "Just lay there! Just lay there!" I was pretty young so I didn't realize the game was clinched until he swung me upside down and my feet hit the ceiling. That's one of my favorite memories. It's one of the reasons I can't switch teams. I tried in the 1990's but could never be passionate about another team.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
There are some good ones on here that brought back memories. The best Bengal offensive play I ever saw was a pass, actually by Mohammad Sanu against Washington in 2012. A J or whoever caught it could have walked to the end zone because the soon-to-be-renamed-Redskins defense was so fooled. Best defensive play was fairly recent, near the end of the 2017 season with the Bengals in Denver and Dre Kirkpatrick caught one in the end zone and ran 85 yards before fumbling it. He was probably affected by the mile-high air. He did recover though at the one yard line for an easy Bengals TD.
Reply/Quote