Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitts in, Parsons out
(02-02-2021, 10:33 AM)Synric Wrote: That kinda stuff happens with you have Margus Hunt playing Nose Tackle. The defensive line was every bit as bad as the offensive line in 2020.

Yep. It doesn’t matter who’s playing LB when the DL is as bad as it was.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 01:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not arguing the defense wasn’t shit a lot of the time (how much of that is Lou though?). But they aren’t soft. And they’re not out there getting bullied just because we don’t have a Burfict type LB. We have 2 safeties that can lay you out. Hell, Bates about killed one of the Titans this season. And Bell is an even better hitter.

A tone setter wouldn't put up with those collective performances. When Burfict was in his prime, others feed off his mentality. He single handedly put us in a position to beat the Steelers in the playoffs. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a great defense that doesn't have a tone setter that also is a great player. We don't have that now and it shows. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 01:58 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: A tone setter wouldn't put up with those collective performances. When Burfict was in his prime, others feed off his mentality. He single handedly put us in a position to beat the Steelers in the playoffs. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a great defense that doesn't have a tone setter that also is a great player. We don't have that now and it shows. 

It was hardly just Burfict. That defense had an All Pro DT, a Pro Bowl DE, a Pro Bowl CB, and a Pro Bowl Safety. I think we should try to get us some those, too while we’re at it...

Reply/Quote
Drafting Pitts gives this offense a dimension it hasnt had
Since 2015.
Reply/Quote
But speaking of Burfict, his character issues obviously came back to bite us big time over the years. Probably not the best example of what we need in a thread about Parsons...

If he was really involved in the stuff named in that lawsuit then he’s an absolute POS, and I really don’t want him anywhere near this team. It wasn’t a heat of the moment mistake like what Mixon did. It was an ongoing thing, and some really nasty stuff.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was hardly just Burfict. That defense had an All Pro DT, a Pro Bowl DE, a Pro Bowl CB, and a Pro Bowl Safety. I think we should try to get us some those, too while we’re at it...

They we're all around after Burfict and didn't make us a good defense. Some played this season and last...Ha
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 12:41 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Pitts is a dominant player.He will get open, and JB won't be able to help but to see him. He's a huge mismatch. A definite difference maker.

Agreed, would love it if we got Pitts, just have to get the OL shored up as we have said forever it seems.

Bring in Moton and Derek Wolfe in FA. Draft Pitts, pass rushers and a solid Guard/Center in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Drafting Pitts gives this offense a dimension it hasnt had
Since 2015.

Drafting Parsons does the same for defense
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was hardly just Burfict. That defense had an All Pro DT, a Pro Bowl DE, a Pro Bowl CB, and a Pro Bowl Safety. I think we should try to get us some those, too while we’re at it...

Burgfict was the catalist,  i would argue when healthy more important to defense..
but to your comparison that would be like saying it was not just Chase, you have Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon..cant have it one way and not the other..
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: They we're all around after Burfict and didn't make us a good defense. Some played this season and last...Ha

Look at the difference between Dunlap in Seattle and Dunlap here. There’s a fundamental problem on defense, and to me it’s Lou Anarumo. Not missing Burfict. But we can probably just move on this point.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 09:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burgfict was the catalist,  i would argue when healthy more important to defense..
but to your comparison that would be like saying it was not just Chase, you have Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon..cant have it one way and not the other..

Parsons character concerns are just too much of a red flag. Add that to stack LB not being as much of an impact as the other BPA that will be there and it’s not even a question. They aren’t taking him.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, would love it if we got Pitts, just have to get the OL shored up as we have said forever it seems.

Bring in Moton and Derek Wolfe in FA. Draft Pitts, pass rushers and a solid Guard/Center in the mid rounds.

Absolutely! Gotta sure up the lines for sure. Obviously,  add a couple of other pieces,  but that is definitely priority. If they did happen to go with Pitts, I would consider that the luxury pick. Then it's time to buy the meat and potatoes. That said, I would feel pretty darn good about our luxury pick...lol
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Look at the difference between Dunlap in Seattle and Dunlap here. There’s a fundamental problem on defense, and to me it’s Lou Anarumo. Not missing Burfict. But we can probably just move on this point.

He can't stop the run. Cleveland and Baltimore can run on his D at will. Pittsburgh's backfield was shaky at best this season, so we dodged that bullet,  this time.

If they draft Harris; we're in trouble there  He has no defensive answer for our divisional opponents. Except for that one time at Band Camp on a boat that was already sinking.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Look at the difference between Dunlap in Seattle and Dunlap here. There’s a fundamental problem on defense, and to me it’s Lou Anarumo. Not missing Burfict. But we can probably just move on this point.

They also have tone setters on that D. Something we almost never have. This isn't about Burfict. It's about having an alpha leader on D. Which are typically lbs
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:22 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: They also have tone setters on that D. Something we almost never have. This isn't about Burfict. It's about having an alpha leader on D. Which are typically lbs

Even with their “tone setter” LB Seattle’s defense was still only middle of the pack this season. And Bobby Wagner is probably the best in the league. Also their best players on defense besides Wagner are their safeties. Just like us.

One big thing they do have is better coaching though. They knew how to utilize Dunlap properly.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even with their “tone setter” LB Seattle’s defense was still only middle of the pack this season. And Bobby Wagner is probably the best in the league. Also their best players on defense besides Wagner are their safeties. Just like us.

One big thing they do have is better coaching though. They knew how to utilize Dunlap properly.

You brought them up as the example, not me. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:05 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: You brought them up as the example, not me. 

Right, in response to you pointing out our former impact players on defense that played with Burfict were no longer effective. But Dunlap was again once he started being used properly.

Reply/Quote
Pitts is head and shoulders better than any TE in this class. TEs are becoming more important overall and using them is the easiest way to manufacture a mismatch.

And aside from that I believe Pitts projects as a better TE than Parsons does at LB. Pitts will be way ahead of Parsons on my board, especially with the character whispers.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even with their “tone setter” LB Seattle’s defense was still only middle of the pack this season. And Bobby Wagner is probably the best in the league. Also their best players on defense besides Wagner are their safeties. Just like us.

As a situational pass rusher. Something we wanted to do with Carlos, but he kept crying about depth chart 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a situational pass rusher. Something we wanted to do with Carlos, but he kept crying about depth chart 

See if you can notice any differences in Seattle’s defensive scheme and ours...

Shortly after the trade became official, coach Pete Carroll reached out to the 31-year old Dunlap, explaining how his skill set would be perfect at the LEO defensive end spot in the Seahawks scheme.

While the former Florida star admitted he had never heard of that position before until speaking with Carroll, Dunlap's best years with the Bengals came in a similar 4-3 defense where he pinned his ears back rushing off the edge. Once he had clarity on how he would be used, he couldn't wait to get started with his new team.
“I feel like it’s a great fit,” Dunlap commented. “I mean, these guys fly around. I’ve been an edge defender my whole career. Been left end, been right end, been in the 4-3 style and this is what we’re doing here. I’m being asked to do what I’ve done my best football doing so it’s a win-win situation for me."

Maybe Lou will finally get some of those square pegs into them round holes next year though!

Reply/Quote