Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitts in, Parsons out
(02-03-2021, 01:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: See if you can notice any differences in Seattle’s defensive scheme and ours...

Shortly after the trade became official, coach Pete Carroll reached out to the 31-year old Dunlap, explaining how his skill set would be perfect at the LEO defensive end spot in the Seahawks scheme.

While the former Florida star admitted he had never heard of that position before until speaking with Carroll, Dunlap's best years with the Bengals came in a similar 4-3 defense where he pinned his ears back rushing off the edge. Once he had clarity on how he would be used, he couldn't wait to get started with his new team.
“I feel like it’s a great fit,” Dunlap commented. “I mean, these guys fly around. I’ve been an edge defender my whole career. Been left end, been right end, been in the 4-3 style and this is what we’re doing here. I’m being asked to do what I’ve done my best football doing so it’s a win-win situation for me."

Maybe Lou will finally get some of those square pegs into them round holes next year though!

Sounds like they used him as a situational pass rusher.

Of course Carlos is going to make it not be any of his fault.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds like they used him as a situational pass rusher.

Ok. I can see why you’d give an accomplished coach like Lou the benefit over a scrub like Carlos Dunlap. Especially since no other players on that defense had issues with him. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok. I can see why you’d give an accomplished coach like Lou the benefit over a scrub like Carlos Dunlap. Especially since no other players on that defense had issues with him. Ninja

Carlos Dunlap had one of the best years of his career in 2019 in Lou Anarumo's defense people tend to forget that part. The scheme wasn't the issue. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If Sewell and Chase are both gone when we draft I'd take Pitts over Parsons and it's not even a debate IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Carlos Dunlap had one of the best years of his career in 2019 in Lou Anarumo's defense people tend to forget that part. The scheme wasn't the issue. 

Fair enough.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, in response to you pointing out our former impact players on defense that played with Burfict were no longer effective. But Dunlap was again once he started being used properly.

Yep, after he went to a defense with leaders and alphas. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:12 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Yep, after he went to a defense with leaders and alphas. 

So are Bates and Bell bums now? The former is arguably the best safety in the league (pretty alpha, no?), and the latter earned captain his first season here.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a situational pass rusher. Something we wanted to do with Carlos, but he kept crying about depth chart 

Dunlop was a douche bag. Always has been.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a situational pass rusher. Something we wanted to do with Carlos, but he kept crying about depth chart 

Snaps per game were the same, 40 per. 

Production was way different. 
1.9 pressures per game with Cincy. 3.4 pressures per game with Seattle.
1 total sack with Cincy. 7 sacks with Seattle. 

To me, that screams scheme. 

Pretty impossible to say the Bengals coaches don't have egg on their faces, and they certainly could have used that type of production considering the guys that tried to fill his shoes and failed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So are Bates and Bell bums now? The former is arguably the best safety in the league (pretty alpha, no?), and the latter earned captain his first season here.

Ha, no one is feeding off their energy nor are they intimidating. Being a great ball Hawking safety is awesome, but an alpha)fiery leader that others feed off of...well I'm not seeing that. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Snaps per game were the same, 40 per. 

Pretty impossible to say the Bengals coaches don't have egg on their faces, and they certainly could have used that type of production considering the guys that tried to fill his shoes and failed. 

To me that screams unmotivated veteran with only a couple of years left in the league forcing his way off a rebuilding team and playing hard when he lands on a SB contender.

I'm not saying are coaches are great, but I don't know a lot of schemes that will allow a guy to put up numbers if he doesn't play hard, at least at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So are Bates and Bell bums now? The former is arguably the best safety in the league (pretty alpha, no?), and the latter earned captain his first season here.

You can be a good producer, but being an alpha is about leading and setting the tone.
AJ Green is someone who produced a ton but I don't know how many would call him an alpha.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Snaps per game were the same, 40 per. 

Yes, they employed him the same as we did. But for some reason he cried about it here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: To me that screams unmotivated veteran with only a couple of years left in the league forcing his way off a rebuilding team and playing hard when he lands on a SB contender.

I'm not saying are coaches are great, but I don't know a lot of schemes that will allow a guy to put up numbers if he doesn't play hard, at least at the NFL level.

Dunlap probably saw the writing on the wall after this year started off so poorly.
If his goal was to get to a Super Bowl or at least go deep in the postseason before he retires, he may not have seen that being likely if he stayed a Bengal through 2022.
As such, he forced his way out to try to get closer to what he wanted.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: To me that screams unmotivated veteran with only a couple of years left in the league forcing his way off a rebuilding team and playing hard when he lands on a SB contender.

Could be. But why now, after 4 straight years of losing and getting a QB like Burrow with the prospects of the team improving?

Seems like a weird time to tank unless something changes and you're asked to do something you haven't done, with less snaps thrown on top.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, they employed him the same as we did. But for some reason he cried about it here. 

Kind of hard to say that to a certainty unless you know what the Bengals asked him to do on a snap by snap basis, compared to what the Seahawks asked. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 06:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Could be. But why now, after 4 straight years of losing and getting a QB like Burrow with the prospects of the team improving?

Seems like a weird time to tank unless something changes and you're asked to do something you haven't done, with less snaps thrown on top.

Rumor was he was in danger of getting cut last year for a poor attitude and lack of effort.  Iirc, he started the year slow and then turned it on the second half of the year.

My guess is that he has a certain loyalty to Marvin after playing for him for so long that he doesn't have with Taylor and company.  

His snaps were cut because the effort wasn't there.  Street FA's were coming in and outperforming him.  Even AJ Hawk said that Dunlap plays hard when he feels like it.  He's had motivational and effort issues going back to college.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok. I can see why you’d give an accomplished coach like Lou the benefit over a scrub like Carlos Dunlap. Especially since no other players on that defense had issues with him. Ninja

Facts don't support your somewhat juggled statement on Lou and Dunlap: in 2019 Dunlap had recorded 9 sacks which were his 3rd best in his career and had his 2nd best combo tackles in 2019... 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Parsons character concerns are just too much of a red flag. Add that to stack LB not being as much of an impact as the other BPA that will be there and it’s not even a question. They aren’t taking him.
  He had an incident what two years ago.. , a fight between players.. wow that is so unheard of ? and the character issue in that fight was the other player.. what the hell, bring a weapon to a team session...  Please tell me you have more than just that 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 07:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: Rumor was he was in danger of getting cut last year for a poor attitude and lack of effort.  Iirc, he started the year slow and then turned it on the second half of the year.

My guess is that he has a certain loyalty to Marvin after playing for him for so long that he doesn't have with Taylor and company.  

His snaps were cut because the effort wasn't there.  Street FA's were coming in and outperforming him.  Even AJ Hawk said that Dunlap plays hard when he feels like it.  He's had motivational and effort issues going back to college.

Oh, there were never any doubts about his lack of effort. Marv saw that at the beginning and it's the reason he didn't get on the field in the beginning. 

Anyway...i'm over it.

Reply/Quote