Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh should drop the name "Steelers"
(07-17-2016, 03:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Considering Cincinnati has one of the top zoos in the nation and has Bengal tigers, I'd say that having a tiger mascot is fitting  ThumbsUp
Except that's not where the name came from.

Either it was a nod to the FIRST Bengals team back in the lat 30's (that had one winning season...fitting).

Or to Brown's high school team he coached...the Tigers.  (Also fitting as the Bengals tend to play like high school kids.)

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 03:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Except that's not where the name came from.

Either it was a nod to the FIRST Bengals team back in the lat 30's (that had one winning season...fitting).

Or to Brown's high school team he coached...the Tigers.  (Also fitting as the Bengals tend to play like high school kids.)

Mellow

Except we're talking about NOW, as evident by the topic and content of the thread being that the Steelers should drop the name because the city has little to do with Steel anymore.

Try and keep up, little fella  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh Rednecks
Baltimore Rioters
Cincinnati Zookeepers
Cleveland Steamers
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 03:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Except that's not where the name came from.

Mellow
So, in other words, the Bengals' name never had a distinct connection to the city, so it's the same as it always was.  Kind of like Lions and Detroit or many others in the same vein, which is totally beside the point, as far as the OP is concerned.

It's just the Steelers' name that is more of a taunt now than the tribute it once was.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 04:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except we're talking about NOW, as evident by the topic and content of the thread being that the Steelers should drop the name because the city has little to do with Steel anymore.

Try and keep up, little fella  ThumbsUp

So since the city has a Bengal tiger 39 years later the name is OK?

Well Pittsburgh has lots of building and bridges made of steel so that means it is OK too!   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 08:25 PM)McC Wrote: So, in other words, the Bengals' name never had a distinct connection to the city, so it's the same as it always was.  Kind of like Lions and Detroit or many others in the same vein, which is totally beside the point, as far as the OP is concerned.

It's just the Steelers' name that is more of a taunt now than the tribute it once was.

If you mean to say the Bengals name means nothing now and never did then I agree.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: So since the city has a Bengal tiger 39 years later the name is OK?

Well Pittsburgh has lots of building and bridges made of steel so that means it is OK too!   ThumbsUp

The zoo was founded in 1873 and opened in 1875 with not many animals, but guess what one of them was?  A Tiger  ThumbsUp

Every city has buildings and bridges made out of Steel......  that's like naming your team the Pittsburgh Roads and claiming it's original.  

More intelligent Steelers fans' talk  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
A lot of cities have tigers at their zoos. Real original?

I like the fact that Pittsburgh and Baltimore honor real aspects of their city's history. First Baltimore honored horse racing (Colts) and then one of it's greatest authors, Poe (Ravens). Pittsburgh honors an industry that put their city on the map and helped build this country (Steelers).

Apparently Cincinnati just picked an animal at the zoo. "We have Meerkats, Chimps, or Bengals?".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Would the Ravens be on a 5 game losing streak againstt the Meerkats and Chimps too?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: If you mean to say the Bengals name means nothing now and never did then I agree.   Ninja

And the Steelers name used to mean something and now it doesn't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 11:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The zoo was founded in 1873 and opened in 1875 with not many animals, but guess what one of them was?  A Tiger  ThumbsUp

Every city has buildings and bridges made out of Steel......  that's like naming your team the Pittsburgh Roads and claiming it's original.  

More intelligent Steelers fans' talk  ThumbsUp

Was it a Bengal Tiger?

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 09:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: Was it a Bengal Tiger?

ThumbsUp

is this Bfritz guy trolling?
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: If you mean to say the Bengals name means nothing now and never did then I agree.   Ninja
Let's just look at some other Pittsburgh teams.  I'm sure there are lots of pirates in central PA with its many oceans.   And panthers must just roam the streets.  And let's not forgot that indigenous penguin population.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 03:08 AM)jason Wrote: Would the Ravens be on a 5 game losing streak againstt the Meerkats and Chimps too?

Would the Meerkats have the longest playoff win drought too? Would the Chimps have no championships?

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 09:49 AM)McC Wrote: Let's just look at some other Pittsburgh teams.  I'm sure there are lots of pirates in central PA with its many oceans.   And panthers must just roam the streets.  And let's not forgot that indigenous penguin population.

Mellow

The Pirates have an interesting story for how they ended up with that name.

The Panthers were indigenous to the region.  

The Penguins is probably your only good point as they have little to nothing to do with igloos.  But they have them at the zoo!  So you should be all for it!  Cool

Plus you have the alliteration with Pittsburgh in all three.

Did you know the Steelers were the Pirates for some time too?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 09:27 AM)Cocoapuffs Wrote: is this Bfritz guy trolling?

He never is. He's 100% serious.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

The Pirates have an interesting story for how they ended up with that name.

The Panthers were indigenous to the region.  

The Penguins is probably your only good point as they have little to nothing to do with igloos.  But they have them at the zoo!  So you should be all for it!  Cool

Plus you have the alliteration with Pittsburgh in all three.

Did you know the Steelers were the Pirates for some time too?

We have people walking into bodies of water playing Pokémon Go, Swedes shooting 63 to win British Opens, A TV personality billionaire that could become the most powerful leader in the world, and an uptick in replies to a thread about the unoriginality of NFL cities' professional sports team names...

What a time to be alive ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 10:02 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He never is. He's 100% serious.

i'll bet hes a trump supporter too Sick
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 10:15 AM)mroudfly Wrote: We have people walking into bodies of water playing Pokémon Go, Swedes shooting 63 to win British Opens, A TV personality billionaire that could become the most powerful leader in the world, and an uptick in replies to a thread about the unoriginality of NFL cities' professional sports team names...

Always good to have a little distraction!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 10:15 AM)mroudfly Wrote: We have people walking into bodies of water playing Pokémon Go, Swedes shooting 63 to win British Opens, A TV personality billionaire that could become the most powerful leader in the world, and an uptick in replies to a thread about the unoriginality of NFL cities' professional sports team names...

nothing wrong with pokemon go

its getting my fat ass excercising
Reply/Quote