Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plant based meat
I usually buy Healthy Choice for lunch to keep off some LBs. Today I noticed plant based bowls. Stupid me thought they were saying the actual bowls were plant based so they were compostable. Nope. Got a beef (Norm would call it Beff) and a chicken. The beef is nasty. It's mushy and tasteless. Maybe there are better versions, but based on this, I'm not a fan. Oh and you don't even really save any calories with this mush.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 01:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I usually buy Healthy Choice for lunch to keep off some LBs.

Does it work? No linebackers bothering you?

(06-02-2021, 01:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote:  Today I noticed plant based bowls.  Stupid me thought they were saying the actual bowls were plant based so they were compostable.  Nope.  Got a beef (Norm would call it  Beff) and a chicken.  The beef is nasty.  It's mushy and tasteless.  Maybe there are better versions, but based on this, I'm not a fan.  Oh and you don't even really save any calories with this mush.

Most things I tried were similar as described, though not all of them. Wasn't meat in any case, but with different preparation some things could still be tasty.
The main reason for me to try that is that I think almost everyone, including me, eats way too much meat; and this is mostly an environmental stance. Our planet can not feed all its people if many of them prefer meat every day, that in production needs way more surface for the same nutrition output. Besides, I do not like the idea of mass slaughtering way more animals than necessary. (I can live with some more than necessary, I like meat after all.)

So yeah, I still hope, mainly for lab meat to become viable.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 01:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: Does it work? No linebackers bothering you?

Most things I tried were similar as described, though not all of them. Wasn't meat in any case, but with different preparation some things could still be tasty.
The main reason for me to try that is that I think almost everyone, including me, eats way too much meat; and this is mostly an environmental stance. Our planet can not feed all its people if many of them prefer meat every day, that in production needs way more surface for the same nutrition output. Besides, I do not like the idea of mass slaughtering way more animals than necessary. (I can live with some more than necessary, I like meat after all.)

So yeah, I still hope, mainly for lab meat to become viable.

Not completely. Vontaze still makes prank calls to me.

As for part 2.  You probably don't want to venture into our smoker thread. LOL  Barbecue is kind of the only original American food or maybe cooking style.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 01:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not completely. Vontaze still makes prank calls to me.

Yeah well, that's just Burfict. He's funny at times though, eg. when he told Gruden that he can still play and Guenther is a splendid DC. That was hilarious.

(06-02-2021, 01:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: As for part 2.  You probably don't want to venture into our smoker thread. LOL  Barbecue is kind of the only original American food or maybe cooking style.

Yeah I got that impression too. For me, grilling in all its forms is the most strenuous way to eat as bad as possible.
It's not so much about the meat though. As i tried to insinuate, I am more guilty than most people of eating way too much meat.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of any of it. Meat eater here through and through lol
Reply/Quote
Never tried it.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
I find plant-based meat to be too gimmicky and inefficient to be sustainable. I'd say you're better off just replacing various amounts of meat with kidney and garbanzo beans and so on and cutting out the middle-man, so to speak. Plant based-meat is just beans and soy anyways, isn't it? Just eat the base contents in their cheaper and more accessible form and quit paying some company a fee to shape it and color it like something you already know it isn't.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find plant-based meat to be too gimmicky and inefficient to be sustainable. I'd say you're better off just replacing various amounts of meat with kidney and garbanzo beans and so on and cutting out the middle-man, so to speak. Plant based-meat is just beans and soy anyways, isn't it? Just eat the base contents in their cheaper and more accessible form and quit paying some company a fee to shape it and color it like something you already know it isn't.

Yeah I’d much rather eat whatever it was made of in it’s original form. There was nothing meat like about it.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find plant-based meat to be too gimmicky and inefficient to be sustainable.  I'd say you're better off just replacing various amounts of meat with kidney and garbanzo beans and so on and cutting out the middle-man, so to speak.  Plant based-meat is just beans and soy anyways, isn't it?  Just eat the base contents in their cheaper and more accessible form and quit paying some company a fee to shape it and color it like something you already know it isn't.

(06-02-2021, 10:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I’d much rather eat whatever it was made of in it’s original form. There was nothing meat like about it.

I have made a pablamo black bean enchilada verde that was fantastic. Had to make it myself though.

You can make really good vegan meals if you want, I don't care for it often as I am a carnivore for the most part and complete
opposite of Holloderro. But I would never buy the plant based meat crap they are doing at the stores nowadays. Heard from 
complete vegans it is mostly all crap.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find plant-based meat to be too gimmicky and inefficient to be sustainable.  I'd say you're better off just replacing various amounts of meat with kidney and garbanzo beans and so on and cutting out the middle-man, so to speak.  Plant based-meat is just beans and soy anyways, isn't it?  Just eat the base contents in their cheaper and more accessible form and quit paying some company a fee to shape it and color it like something you already know it isn't.

Yep

If I want some beans I'll eat a bowl of beans. I don't need a company to grind up beans and wheat and rice into a mush and form it into a hamburger looking patty. 

Pass
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 10:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I’d much rather eat whatever it was made of in it’s original form. There was nothing meat like about it.

Ill eat anything that doesn't eat me first and I'm pretty spectrum-ey so I use that to good effect and eat the same healthy stuff every day for lunch.  I could go into detail but im off to bed and don't want to go all "jerkass know it all" in a 3rd forum branch at the moment. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find plant-based meat to be too gimmicky and inefficient to be sustainable. I'd say you're better off just replacing various amounts of meat with kidney and garbanzo beans and so on and cutting out the middle-man, so to speak. Plant based-meat is just beans and soy anyways, isn't it? Just eat the base contents in their cheaper and more accessible form and quit paying some company a fee to shape it and color it like something you already know it isn't.

Yeah I’d much rather eat whatever it was made of in it’s original form. There was nothing meat like about it.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not a fan of any of it. Meat eater here through and through lol

Same. I had a beyond meat burger and it was gross. It also gave me the worst shits I've had in years. 

People think this stuff is healthier for you, but it's just not. Its engineered in a lab and has a ton of additives in it. If your eating it to save the environment or are vegan that's one thing, but if your eating it to be healthier than eh...there are better options. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
heres the question...

If you dont want to eat meat... Why try and make plants Taste like meat? Cause if you want it to taste like meat just eat meat. makes no Sense.

Personally would sooner eat Rat Burgers via demolition man than fake meat.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: heres the question...

If you dont want to eat meat... Why try and make plants Taste like meat?    Cause if you want it to taste like meat just eat meat.  makes no Sense.

Personally would sooner eat Rat Burgers via demolition man than fake meat.

I think people want to eat meat, but avoid it because they don't like the killing of animals and its negative environmental impact. Plant based options give them the meat "taste" without the negative consequences. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: heres the question...

If you dont want to eat meat... Why try and make plants Taste like meat?    Cause if you want it to taste like meat just eat meat.  makes no Sense.

As mentioned, the motivation would be the negative environmental impact of producing meat and the mass slaughtering of animals. If there's an alterative that takes less area to produce and the slaughters can be avoided, that would be a good thing, imho.

For sure, that alternative would have to be better than most current options.

PS just to clarify once more, I myself eat meat all the time as well, albeit with a tad of bad conscience at times.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 11:06 AM)hollodero Wrote: As mentioned, the motivation would be the negative environmental impact of producing meat and the mass slaughtering of animals. If there's an alterative that takes less area to produce and the slaughters can be avoided, that would be a good thing, imho.

For sure, that alternative would have to be better than most current options.

PS just to clarify once more, I myself eat meat all the time as well, albeit with a tad of bad conscience at times.

So a environmentally safer meat(protein) would be worms and cockroaches...      Would you be personally open to those as a meat source since they fulfill your first reason?
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So a environmentally safer meat(protein) would be worms and cockroaches...      Would you be personally open to those as a meat source since they fulfill your first reason?

Fruits ?

Actually, fruits are the only eatable thing where you don't kill the other living thing you eat from.

If you see life in an expanded thing. 

You kill the salad too when you eat it but you don't kill the tree if you are eating fruits.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So a environmentally safer meat(protein) would be worms and cockroaches...      Would you be personally open to those as a meat source since they fulfill your first reason?

Well, no. My food of course also needs to not disgust me. But honestly, the alternative to common meat are not worms or spiders, but just plants and vegetables. They're environmentally better, also eating more vegetables is healthier.

Not that I would eat much vegetables. But if there were a solid plant-based meat replacement, or even lab meat, that really is close to the real thing, I would be interested. Conscience-wise and possibly health-wise.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 01:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I usually buy Healthy Choice for lunch to keep off some LBs.  Today I noticed plant based bowls.  Stupid me thought they were saying the actual bowls were plant based so they were compostable.  Nope.  Got a beef (Norm would call it  Beff) and a chicken.  The beef is nasty.  It's mushy and tasteless.  Maybe there are better versions, but based on this, I'm not a fan.  Oh and you don't even really save any calories with this mush.

Don't feel too stupid.  I've almost bought them a couple times by mistake.

In my Kroger they have plant based food mixed right in with some of the others.  Every once in awhile I get a hankering for cheap, easy to make Pad Thai or Chicken Tikka Massala.  They only have a few of brands of that and at least one of them is plant based.  IMO it's not labeled well at all (it's not obvious it's plant based without really looking at it).  I've seen it on sale and thrown into my cart, then I'd look closer and think "what in the hell is this shit?"

I'm with everyone else.  If I want "plants" then I'll buy some vegetables or beans.  If I want something that tastes like meat then I want actual meat in it.  
Reply/Quote