Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
She declined an invitation based upon her personal beliefs. Nothing wrong with that. Nobody should have to work for anyone or any organization that they don't feel comfortable with, or that conflicts with their beliefs. It's called having a choice.
She is against equal protection under the law for homosexuals. People can boo her for that if they want.

If her faith is all that matters to her then she will not care.
(06-04-2018, 03:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: She declined an invitation based upon her personal beliefs. Nothing wrong with that. Nobody should have to work for anyone or any organization that they don't feel comfortable with, or that conflicts with their beliefs. It's called having a choice.

Yup.  She's free to decline and people are free to boo and the freedom train rolls on.  She's also free to set up a "GO FUND ME" page where she can likely get lots of money for "taking a stand against the liberal agenda shoving gayness down everyone's throats" too.  That'd be good business, on her part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-04-2018, 03:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yup.  She's free to decline and people are free to boo and the freedom train rolls on.  She's also free to set up a "GO FUND ME" page where she can likely get lots of money for "taking a stand against the liberal agenda shoving gayness down everyone's throats" too.  That'd be good business, on her part.

Exactly, it's not like she was trying to stop them from celebrating gay pride.  She only chose to not be a part of the celebration.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-02-2018, 01:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: 1. OK, there's still a clear intention behind using those jerseys in the first place, why they were used, and it was not to promote sin, but to ask for equality for gays (etc.) and an end to discrimination. Because of course it is about that. And not about being so proud of one's gayness that it amounts to a deadly sin. That sounds a bit absurd. 

Now if she views it differently, ok. I'd still think that's a bit self-centered and ignorant to only think one own's interpretation is relevant, and that the intentions of the people behind it can't alter that; and for sure many people will view her actions as being against tolerance and pro discrimination. Which is not an outlandish interpretation of her refusal to play in such jerseys. And then people boo. I wouldn't, but I don't take issue with that.

Since you asked how folks view the story, that's probably it. No scandal, one strange motivation, and a piece of unnecessary Christian stubbornness. She can't have possibly believed she can't go to heaven if wearing that jersey. If she had thought that, well, I'd consider that extreme.
-
If the jerseys had just said "no discrimination!" instead of "pride", would her actions be less understandable to you? 

If you view her opting not to take advantage of an opportunity to play for the National team as self-centered then we disagree. As the salary is $72,000/year to play and there are additional bonuses as well as endorsement deals.

Earlier she was called bigoted; yet she has called for fellow Christians to love homosexuals. Doesn't sound intolerable to me. Also she has denied no one anything 9other that herself), even their equal rights, by not playing.

Christians don't just choose not to participate in things because they can't go to heaven if they do it.

All parties are free to do what they want/feel. I just took issue with folks booing her because her beliefs are different that theirs; but that may just be my liberal side showing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Earlier she was called bigoted; yet she has called for fellow Christians to love homosexuals. Doesn't sound intolerable to me.

Love them but deny them equal protection under the law is 100% bigoted.  

You can't really love someone and at the same time treat them like shit.  People who say that have no idea what real love is.
(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  

I just took issue with folks booing her because her beliefs are different that theirs; but that may just be my liberal side showing.

They are not booing because her beliefs are just "different".  They are booing because she supports discrimination based on religion.

People accept lots of "different" beliefs.  If she said she thought the world was flat or mermaids were real she would not get booed.  She is only getting booed because of her support for discrimination.
(06-04-2018, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
They are not booing because her beliefs are just "different". 
They are booing because she supports discrimination based on religion.

People accept lots of "different" beliefs.  If she said she thought the world was flat or mermaids were real she would not get booed.  She is only getting booed because of her support for discrimination.

No they are booing because she upheld "personal convictions."   Wink
(06-04-2018, 04:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, it's not like she was trying to stop them from celebrating gay pride.  She only chose to not be a part of the celebration.

What she should have done was to just wear a normal jersey which they should have been wearing in the first place.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-04-2018, 06:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: What she should have done was to just wear a normal jersey which they should have been wearing in the first place.

Why is the US National Team paying tribute to any particular minority group, in the first place?  If they're the US National Team, they should be representative of the American Nation, rather than any particular segment of the population.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you view her opting not to take advantage of an opportunity to play for the National team as self-centered then we disagree. As the salary is $72,000/year to play and there are additional bonuses as well as endorsement deals.

Earlier she was called bigoted; yet she has called for fellow Christians to love homosexuals. Doesn't sound intolerable to me. Also she has denied no one anything 9other that herself), even their equal rights, by not playing.

She did say that? OK, that's a bonus point. Now I'd still appreciate her also not opposing equal rights, but ok that's a bit political. In the end though, I preferred if she'd just not make a big deal out of it, for reasons I don't find quite plausible. Wear the jersey and don't think about it, sometimes life's about going along with unimportant stuff. She just seems unnecessarily stubborn, as if her eternal soul was directly affected or if her beliefes were somehow seriously threatened.
With this kind of action, many will see it as a political statement and as a sign of intolerance - especially since indeed she loses a great personal opportunity by doing so - and I could not dismiss that interpretation. Which sure is her right, I guess no one doubts that, but it's also the public's right to deem her unpopular because of it.

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Christians don't just choose not to participate in things because they can't go to heaven if they do it.

Sure, I know that. I brought up the hyperbole because of the "pride is a capital sin" stance, which is a bit extreme in that case. When "pride" objectively (and obviously) is interpreted as having a healthy amount of self-confidence and nothing more than that.

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All parties are free to do what they want/feel. I just took issue with folks booing her because her beliefs are different that theirs; but that may just be my liberal side showing.

Yeah it really starts getting obvious. You have to do something against those liberal flashes...
...in general, and maybe not even in that particular case, I think in some cases it's fine to boo people for their beliefs. I have no issue booing extremists, totalitarians, white supremacists etc. etc. - I'm not saying that's her, I'm saying booing different beliefs is not a fundamental no-no to me.
As I said, I wouldn't boo her. I just can't denounce those that do.
(06-04-2018, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They are not booing because her beliefs are just "different".  They are booing because she supports discrimination based on religion.

Link to who she has ever discriminated against and/or supported such discrimination. All she said was that she couldn't in good faith wear the jersey. And for that the accepting boo her.  

(06-04-2018, 05:52 PM)Dill Wrote: No they are booing because she upheld "personal convictions."   Wink

Actually it appears they are booing her for deciding not to wear a mandated jersey. 

(06-04-2018, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Love them but deny them equal protection under the law is 100% bigoted.  

You can't really love someone and at the same time treat them like shit.  People who say that have no idea what real love is.

So if bfine's work states that tomorrow is Gay Pride day and all employees must wear the rainbow colored shirt that have been provided by the business or don't come to work. bfine chooses not to come to work because he doesn't want to wear the shirt; who the hell has he denied equal protection under the law? 

(06-04-2018, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: She is against equal protection under the law for homosexuals.  

I would venture to guess she could care less about anti-discrimination laws. If she is citing her religion, she is more likely against the "sin" of homosexuality. She doesn't want them to be gay in the first place.

the day of the gay marriage ruling
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

My take is simple. I wouldn’t wear it, why does she have to? No different then telling her she has to shave her head to support breast cancer in a cancer awareness event.
(06-04-2018, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My take is simple. I wouldn’t wear it, why does she have to? No different then telling her she has to shave her head to support breast cancer in a cancer awareness event.

I think her response was even more tame that that, but apparently enough for folks to boo her,support such booing, and label her a bigot. It's not like she accepted the call up and then when the day came to wear the jersey she balked. She simply declined the invitation and cited personal reasons. 

(06-04-2018, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My take is simple. I wouldn’t wear it, why does she have to? No different then telling her she has to shave her head to support breast cancer in a cancer awareness event.

It's not the same as shaving someone's head. It's a soccer jersey. You put it on so spectators and your teammates can see you're on their team, you wear it 90 minutes, you put it off again.
Usually they have things like "Fly emirates" or "Gazprom" printed on them, which I find way more morally ambiguous.

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  All parties are free to do what they want/feel. I just took issue with folks booing her because her beliefs are different that theirs

Isn't that quite what the president is doing with the Eagles (amongst others). Different beliefs! Disrespectful! Boo!
(06-04-2018, 07:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually it appears they are booing her for deciding not to wear a mandated jersey. 

New thread title then?