Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
(06-06-2018, 10:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. So someone discriminates because they choose not to wear a piece of clothing. Thanks for letting the world know how perverted the liberal's view of discrimination has become.

2. Of course granny thinks drinking is a choice, but one some folks have a compulsion to do. I'll check with granny on if she think drinking should be legal, but I fail to see the point.

3. Once again no idea why you are using the quotes maybe someone else can explain it to me; as you have chosen not to. But for an answer see #1

4. You with the quotes again; I can only assume there is some point you think you are making in your head. There is plenty indication that this lady thinks homosexual relationship are a sin and that sin degrades the world. Much like the quotes I have no idea of the point you are trying to make here.

5. Once again you have no idea who she views as ok, your hate just leads you to make assumptions. 

LOL Your "lady" didn't go on the 700 Club and tell everyone she refused to join the National team because they were going to make her "wear a piece of clothing" any more than people booed her simply because she stood up for personal convictions.

So you agree, this soccer lady thinks gayness is sin and sin degrades the world.  But you claim I have no idea whom she views as ok.  Only "hate" leads me to assume she would think gays are not ok. The people whose month she would not celebrate.  Replace "piece of clothing" with "acknowledge gays as equal and equally human" and you'll get my point clearly enough.

I don't generally call men "gentlemen" when I am talking about them, especially sports figures.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-06-2018, 11:05 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Your "lady" didn't go on the 700 Club and tell everyone she refused to join the National team because they were going to make her "wear a piece of clothing" any more than people booed her simply because she stood up for personal convictions.

So you agree, this soccer lady thinks gayness is sin and sin degrades the world.  But you claim I have no idea whom she views as ok.  Only "hate" leads me to assume should would think gays are not ok. The people whose month she would not celebrate.  Replace "piece of clothing" with "acknowledge gays as equal and equally human" and you'll get my point clearly enough.

I don't generally call men "gentlemen" when I am talking about them, especially sports figures.

As I said I appreciate the responses as they show an absurd level of perversion and hate toward others. 

Just because you don't call folks something doesn't mean you have to quote what others refer to them. What noun would you have preferred? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Let's see how many Christians here can actually be honest.

How many of you think she is opposed to same sex marraige being legal?
(06-06-2018, 11:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said I appreciate the responses as they show an absurd level of perversion and hate toward others. 

Just because you don't call folks something doesn't mean you have to quote what others refer to them. What noun would you have preferred? 

Try "young woman" or just "woman." 

Lol. I show an "absurd level of perversion and hate toward others" who just didn't want to wear a piece of clothing--because sin degrades the world and gays are sinners.
(06-06-2018, 11:28 PM)Dill Wrote: Try "young woman" or just "woman." 

Lol. I show an "absurd level of perversion and hate toward others" who just didn't want to wear a piece of clothing--because sin degrades the world and gays are sinners.

1. OK, your choice of noun has been noted; as trivial as it is

2, Yes, no need for LOL

(06-06-2018, 11:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's see how many Christians here can actually be honest.

I think she is opposed to SSM being legal, but I don't think she's intolerant of it, do you?  

(06-06-2018, 11:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think she is opposed to SSM being legal, but I don't think she's intolerant of it, do you?  

No.  She thinks it is wrong.  She does not accept it as the right thing to do.  She thinks it is making the world more corrupt.  That is why she calls for everyone to pray to fix the problem

Her personal beliefs are that homosexuals should not be entitled to equal protection under the law.  She believes in discrimination based on her religious beliefs.
(06-01-2018, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hinkles-refusal-play-uswnt-pride-month-jersey-offers-opportunity-different-kinds-understanding-170455329.html

Of course this one is a little different. It was discovered that this lady chose not to play for the Women's National Soccer team because they were wearing kits honoring the LGBTQ community.

Curious as to folks views on this.

People will always over react when you do something THEY don't agree with...

Lady was perfectly fine doing this.   Didn't try and make a scene about it just declined.
(06-07-2018, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  She thinks it is wrong.  She does not accept it as the right thing to do.  She thinks it is making the world more corrupt.  That is why she calls for everyone to pray to fix the problem

Her personal beliefs are that homosexuals should not be entitled to equal protection under the law.  She believes in discrimination based on her religious beliefs.

Religions are the root of a lot of world problems.
(06-07-2018, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  She thinks it is wrong.  She does not accept it as the right thing to do.  She thinks it is making the world more corrupt.  That is why she calls for everyone to pray to fix the problem

Wow, look at you go!

Passing judgement on someone you've never met, and making broad generalizations about someone based solely upon their faith.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-06-2018, 11:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's see how many Christians here can actually be honest.

She probably is opposed to it like a lot of Christians and Muslims out there.

But those people are wrong in their thinking because their churches and mosques are separated from the government's laws. Every citizen in the U.S. should be treated equally in the eyes of the law. If people because of their religion feel that God will not treat them equally in the afterlife, then so be it and mind your business. But at least on Earth while alive they should be treated equally. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-06-2018, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When she talks about the world becoming more corrupt when they legalized same sex marriage.

"It's a constant reminder that no matter how corrupt this world becomes, he will never leave us or foraske us." At the point she's made this statement, she's speaking in generalties. So, I'll grant you that it's POSSIBLE that she considers same sex marriage to be part of the world being corrupt, that's a far cry from saying that she absolutely believes that same sex marriage is a corruption. You're taking one statement she made and completely creating your own message from it that she wasn't even making.

Even more funny to me, is that her message is one of LOVE - of LOVING others and treating them with respect, even gay people (something that I wish more Christians would do) and you're shitting on it because you disagree with her religion.

(06-06-2018, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no way you can read her comments and think she is okay with same sex marriage being legal.  Is she has not problem with it then why does everyone need to pray harder to fix it?

Oh, I don't doubt that she has a problem with same sex marriag being legal. I'm just taking issue with your penchant for making shit up about things people supposedly say.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-06-2018, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funniest thing about this thread is that the exact same posters who think it is fine for Christians to oppose same sex marriage based on "personal beliefs" are the same one who attack Muslims for the way they treat women based on their "personal beliefs".

Apparently discrimination based on religious beliefs is only okay if it is based on Christian religious beliefs.

Yes, because thinking 2 men or 2 women shouldn't marry is the same thing as beating, raping, and murdering women. 

The "whataboutism" is strong with this one. ThumbsUp
(06-05-2018, 11:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You can’t combat inequality without acknowledging that it exists.

As long as we, as a society, do not discourage treating people differently, people will continue to treat people differently.

No civil rights movement in this country was advanced  by ignoring discrimination.

Nobody has denied inequality. But that doesn't over ride the issue of personal freedom. If you want to acknowledge/protest inequality, that should be your right. If you don't want to acknowledge/protest inequality, that should be your right also. So the fact that the player declined an invitation to a team whose views did not match her own is perfectly fine. She should not be demonized for not thinking the same way as someone who is more accepting of LGBTQ issues. If she were actively protesting against LBGTQ rights, that would be a different story. But she wasn't....she was simply choosing not to participate by declining an invitation. And nobody is acknowledging how difficult a decision that may have been for her given that playing for the USWNT is quite an honor, not to mention the goal of most young female soccer players.
(06-07-2018, 12:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: Nobody has denied inequality. But that doesn't over ride the issue of personal freedom. If you want to acknowledge/protest inequality, that should be your right. If you don't want to acknowledge/protest inequality, that should be your right also. So the fact that the player declined an invitation to a team whose views did not match her own is perfectly fine. She should not be demonized for not thinking the same way as someone who is more accepting of LGBTQ issues. If she were actively protesting against LBGTQ rights, that would be a different story. But she wasn't....she was simply choosing not to participate by declining an invitation. And nobody is acknowledging how difficult a decision that may have been for her given that playing for the USWNT is quite an honor, not to mention the goal of most young female soccer players.

Don't people also have the right to have opinions, and express them, about the opinions of someone else if they are presented in an open forum? The right to demonize her for her opinions also exists. I think it's stupid to do so, but that doesn't mean people can't do it.

Also, what she did was a form of protest.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

I think she is.

Are there people arguing that she isn't?
(06-07-2018, 12:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, because thinking 2 men or 2 women shouldn't marry is the same thing as beating, raping, and murdering women. 

The "whataboutism" is strong with this one. ThumbsUp

They are not the same, but that does not make discrimination okay.  That is my point.

Christians have a long history of justifying discrimination based on their religious beliefs.  The main opponents to womens suffrage were Christians.  The main opponents to interracial marriage were Christians.  The main opponents to same sex marriage were Christians.  Yet they all think that discrimination is okay as long as it is based on their Christian beliefs.  To Christians all these victims of discrimination deserve to be denied equal rights because they do not share Christian beliefs.
(06-07-2018, 12:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: "It's a constant reminder that no matter how corrupt this world becomes, he will never leave us or foraske us." At the point she's made this statement, she's speaking in generalties. So, I'll grant you that it's POSSIBLE that she considers same sex marriage to be part of the world being corrupt, that's a far cry from saying that she absolutely believes that same sex marriage is a corruption. You're taking one statement she made and completely creating your own message from it that she wasn't even making.

Even more funny to me, is that her message is one of LOVE - of LOVING others and treating them with respect, even gay people (something that I wish more Christians would do) and you're shitting on it because you disagree with her religion.

Oh, I don't doubt that she has a problem with same sex marriag being legal. I'm just taking issue with your penchant for making shit up about things people supposedly say.

How does her message of love and treating gay people with respect square with her refusal to wear the jersey?  Surely there must be something about gays that is not to be loved or respected, or why do that, and follow it up with talk about worldly corruption.

Bfine says she just didn't want to wear a piece of cloth.
(06-06-2018, 11:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. OK, your choice of noun has been noted; as trivial as it is

2, Yes, no need for LOL

Now and then, there is need for an LOL.

Good, we are back on track.

To recap: I think that Hinkel supported discrimination against gays by refusing to wear the rainbow jersey and said why in a notoriously anti-gay venue.

You agree that sin degrades human existence and gays are sinners so their existence degrades human existence in general, and that is why Hinkel would not wear the jersey--because gayness, and acceptance thereof, degrades human existence.

But you deny any connection between Hinkel's anti-gay affirmation and bigotry and discrimination.

Rather, you find criticism of Hinkel "simpleminded," irrational, and hate-driven.  She only expressed her "personal convictions" and only refused to wear a "piece of clothing."

Could one assume, at this point, that you think Hinkel wasn't discriminating against gays because her assessment of their degrading presence in society is correct?  She is doing the right thing and that is why she is not a "bigot"?  Just a question.
(06-07-2018, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They are not the same, but that does not make discrimination okay.  That is my point.

Christians have a long history of justifying discrimination based on their religious beliefs.  The main opponents to womens suffrage were Christians.  The main opponents to interracial marriage were Christians.  The main opponents to same sex marriage were Christians.  Yet they all think that discrimination is okay as long as it is based on their Christian beliefs.  To Christians all these victims of discrimination deserve to be denied equal rights because they do not agree with some mythology written thousands of years ago that has as much bases in reality as a Harry Potter book.

And the point you are failing to grasp is that this woman is discriminating against no one.

You could make up some alternate reality where she's in charge of gay marriages and forbids them, but that is not reality. The reality is she accepted SOTUS' ruling on SSM with a lot less condemnation than many and asked folks NOT to get stupid about it. Beliefs cannot discriminate only actions and you cannot show one action where this lady young woman has discriminated against anyone.

Your belief system is just different than hers and you and others choose to demonize her for it. Hell, even calling her a lady is considered improper by some.