Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Players Are Coming To Bengals Because Of Joe Burrow
So Bengals better lock him in long term, ASAP

For decades top Free Agents didn't even consider coming to Cincinnati Bengals and Mike Brown. Neither did top coaches. That's just a fact.

Now suddenly players in the NFL want to be on the same team with Joe Burrow. So lock him in long term and keep brining in the players it takes to Win a SUPER BOWL. When a Hendrickson or these new blockers like Brown are asked why they choose Cincinnati over other teams, they all say because Cincinnati has Joe Burrow. The MONEY they could have got at other teams, but Bengals have Burrow.

GO BENGALS

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think that people think this, but really...outside of Orlando Brown (who we offered the most money to), there's no evidence of this.

What I read on Brown is that the league viewed him as a RT, but the Bengals were willing to play him at LT. And he wants to play LT. So we offered him the most money.

Supposedly, we inquired about Brown, and were out. Then when the market didn't form. We came back in.
Reply/Quote
I was actually surprised that guys like Hurst, Bell, and Perine left. I thought that they'd want to stay here and play with Burrow even if it meant slightly less money. So somewhat of the opposite narrative played out.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that people think this, but really...outside of Orlando Brown (who we offered the most money to), there's no evidence of this.

What I read on Brown is that the league viewed him as a RT, but the Bengals were willing to play him at LT. And he wants to play LT. So we offered him the most  money.

The evidence is that these players are saying they came here because of Joe Burrow. That and the fact Nobody ever wanted to come here before Joe Burrow.  So lock Burrow in long term, he is a recruiting chip to bring in other good players.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:47 PM)kevin Wrote: The evidence is that these players are saying they came here because of Joe Burrow. That and the fact Nobody ever wanted to come here before Joe Burrow.  So lock Burrow in long term, he is a recruiting chip to bring in other good players.  

What players? Nick Scott? Irv Smith?

Well, we could have got those guys if Dalton was the QB because they're about a Tier 4 free agent.
Reply/Quote
Do you think the Bengals are debating extending Burrow?

It will happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What players? Nick Scott? Irv Smith?

Well, we could have got those guys if Dalton was the QB because they're about a Tier 4 free agent.

Once we lock up Burrow and know how much money we'll have, I agree with Kevin that more players will start coming to Cinci.

Cinci and Northern Kentucky are both building up and becoming nice areas, we built a practice bubble, we're taking care of our own guys (always do), we're establishing a winning culture, and we have Burrow. 

Even if they just sign shorter contracts, I believe players will start coming here because being on a winning team gets players paid in free agency because their roles in our success become over-exaggerated.
Reply/Quote
The OP's opinion is a fallacy without proof. The departure of key free agents who were core ot the team culture, some for only minimally more money disproves the OP's theorem.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh - players want to go where they get paid. We have no idea on the FAs the Bengals have missed out on over the years because of the lack of money they were willing to give or contract structure.

I have a feeling we whiffed on a few this off-season because of the above.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was actually surprised that guys like Hurst, Bell, and Perine left. I thought that they'd want to stay here and play with Burrow even if it meant slightly less money. So somewhat of the opposite narrative played out.

Slightly less money? We signed Irv Jr. for 1.75 million dollars. Hurst is making 7 million. Nick Scott is making 4 million a year while Vonn Bell is making over 7 million a year. 

Thats SIGNIFICANTLY more money. 

I mean lets be honest here, the Bengals have absolutely discount shopped so far this off-season. Guys can want to play for Joe Burrow all they want, but if they are getting 60% raises to play elsewhere...then I'd be leaving too. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that people think this, but really...outside of Orlando Brown (who we offered the most money to), there's no evidence of this.

What I read on Brown is that the league viewed him as a RT, but the Bengals were willing to play him at LT. And he wants to play LT. So we offered him the most money.

Supposedly, we inquired about Brown, and were out. Then when the market didn't form. We came back in.

Ouch if true
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: The OP's opinion is a fallacy without proof.  The departure of key free agents who were core ot the team culture, some for only minimally more money disproves the OP's theorem.

Again, where are we seeing minimally more money? The guys that left got substantial raises. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Slightly less money? We signed Irv Jr. for 1.75 million dollars. Hurst is making 7 million. Nick Scott is making 4 million a year while Vonn Bell is making over 7 million a year. 

Thats SIGNIFICANTLY more money. 

I mean lets be honest here, the Bengals have absolutely discount shopped so far this off-season. Guys can want to play for Joe Burrow all they want, but if they are getting 60% raises to play elsewhere...then I'd be leaving too. 

I think the point was not what we paid their replacements, but the reported difference between what we offered vs. what they took.  Like it's been reported that we offered Bell a similar total amount of money but less guaranteed.  That's what Piston's was referring to.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Again, where are we seeing minimally more money? The guys that left got substantial raises. 

Look above
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: I think the point was not what we paid their replacements, but the reported difference between what we offered vs. what they took.  Like it's been reported that we offered Bell a similar total amount of money but less guaranteed.  That's what Piston's was referring to.

Well, then its based on contract structure and guaranteed money most likely - which is still an indictement on the front office. 
Reply/Quote
I've heard a few players this off-season casually throw out the Bengals as potential landing places because they are winning.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:30 PM)Whacked Wrote: Ouch if true

"The league views him as a right tackle and he wants to be paid as a left tackle. That also enters into it — there's a whole host of factors here that are playing in. I'll say this also: If you're a free agent, a top free agent, your deal needs to be agreed to, almost always, on the first day of free agency. If it's not agreed to on the first day, from there, the prices usually begin to slide down."

Orlando Brown Jr. Reportedly Viewed as Right Tackle by NFL (msn.com)
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: I think the point was not what we paid their replacements, but the reported difference between what we offered vs. what they took.  Like it's been reported that we offered Bell a similar total amount of money but less guaranteed.  That's what Piston's was referring to.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
When Burrow is making $50 mill a year, Chase and Tee $25 million...it's going to be significantly harder to add free agents. So we better get guys willing to take less.

I'd love to keep Tee. I just can't see how it works out without hurting the team elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Money drives players in this league where the window to get paid is small for most and could shut on any play they get a major injury on. Like every person, doing what's best for their family steers most career decisions.

If it comes down to picking between several teams for same price though ? Then the Bengals being a SB contender definitely could sway decisions and Burrow is a big part of the Bengals being a SB contender.

Think Burrow will get an aging vet that is financially set already to come here to chase a ring eventually, probably a WR or TE.

Although that has yet to happen, but think that sort of player will be a camp cut and last minute addition.

It's not surprising that Zeke threw out winning teams he wanted to go to per he has already been paid and career is coming to a close

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote