Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Carson Palmer looks worse than Playoff Andy
(01-25-2016, 08:41 PM)stolenrays Wrote: I remember that. From what I remember it is pseudoscience with out the support of evidenced-based literature. That theory may have hit the nail on the head about Palmer faltering in big games by luck, but I'd say it is for other reasons.

In Sports Psych, players falter in key moments often due to a lack of concentration. Behavior can be learned and changed.

Me, I watched many of his throws. He was off all day. I really think it was due to his finger injury.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HEAD+GAMES+DOCTOR%3A+BRAIN+TYPE+COULD+LIMIT+PALMER'S+SUCCESS.-a0121867808 (Bump)

I agree. The finger injury pretty much finished Palmer this season (again, an injury ruins Carson... Has an NFL QB ever had worse luck??).  He won plenty of primetime games this season (in fact, I think he won all of them), and not only won but put of tremendous numbers. His MVP-like season only faltered after his hand injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Goes to show that you can put a great team around him, give him excellent coaches and ownership, and he will still revert back to his old self, when the other team plays defense.

The mistakes that I saw Carson Palmer make, were the same things that I used to complain about when he was a Bengal.  As soon as he takes a shot, he starts making really bad decisions.  Like rushing throws, forcing the ball where it has no business going, leading to frustration, interceptions, fumbles.  Those were his faults when he was a Bengal, and still his lack of composure under pressure haunts him today.

I guess we can officially close the book on the idea that it was Cincinnati that was holding him back?

Not at all.  He played on some bad teams that absolutely screwed him.  Last year before he got hurt the cards were hands down the best team in the league and he was playing great.  This year they were rt there with the panthers all year then he played through an injured throwing hand to get the 2 seed and make the NFC title game.

Then he played a really bad title game and the rep he got for throwing picks on bad cincy and Oakland teams is of course gonna get dredged back up.

He wasn't the reason the Bengals were awful in 07 and 10, and he wasnt the reason Oakland stunk either.  He's just flat out a lot better than he gets credit for.

Balling out for the better part of the last three years now be damned.  The narrative must be maintained!!

It's a joke.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If we trade McCarron to the Cardinals would you be excited? ThumbsUp

I kinda like him right here pushing Andy. Plus he's already a good locker room presence pushing the other rookies to study more film and do extra reps despite his pre-draft attitude problem press. I guess natural leaders can come off as cocky sometimes. Still, I'd like to see him get a shot at starting somewhere. He's always been fun to watch.

I guess if we can get a good pick out of it and AJM can unseat Palmer then sure I'd like that.

(01-26-2016, 01:43 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Not at all.  He played on some bad teams that absolutely screwed him.  Last year before he got hurt the cards were hands down the best team in the league and he was playing great.  This year they were rt there with the panthers all year then he played through an injured throwing hand to get the 2 seed and make the NFC title game.

Then he played a really bad title game and the rep he got for throwing picks on bad cincy and Oakland teams is of course gonna get dredged back up.

He wasn't the reason the Bengals were awful in 07 and 10, and he wasnt the reason Oakland stunk either.  He's just flat out a lot better than he gets credit for.

Balling out for the better part of the last three years now be damned.  The narrative must be maintained!!

It's a joke.

Yeah, but how did he look in his Playoff games? That's all Andy gets judged by... 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:12 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: I kinda like him right here pushing Andy. Plus he's already a good locker room presence pushing the other rookies to study more film and do extra reps despite his pre-draft attitude problem press. I guess natural leaders can come off as cocky sometimes. Still, I'd like to see him get a shot at starting somewhere. He's always been fun to watch.

I guess if we can get a good pick out of it and AJM can unseat Palmer then sure I'd like that.

Yeah, but how did he look in his Playoff games? That's all Andy gets judged by... 

Exactly. Reali said he gave away more footballs than Cam did in that game!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:12 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: Yeah, but how did he look in his Playoff games? That's all Andy gets judged by... 

Rock On

Looking at the regular season stats means you're content, weak and probably play with dolls in a pink dress! Playoffs are all that matter!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:12 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: I kinda like him right here pushing Andy. Plus he's already a good locker room presence pushing the other rookies to study more film and do extra reps despite his pre-draft attitude problem press. I guess natural leaders can come off as cocky sometimes. Still, I'd like to see him get a shot at starting somewhere. He's always been fun to watch.

He was good in the divisional, sucked in the title game.

I don't judge Andy only on playoffs anymore.  He was playing too well this year for me to stay mad.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 01:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HEAD+GAMES+DOCTOR%3A+BRAIN+TYPE+COULD+LIMIT+PALMER'S+SUCCESS.-a0121867808 (Bump)

I agree. The finger injury pretty much finished Palmer this season (again, an injury ruins Carson... Has an NFL QB ever had worse luck??).  He won plenty of primetime games this season (in fact, I think he won all of them), and not only won but put of tremendous numbers. His MVP-like season only faltered after his hand injury.

Makes you wonder if the great and wonderful Bruce Arians wasn't kinda stupid for not replacing him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 08:41 PM)stolenrays Wrote: I remember that. From what I remember it is pseudoscience with out the support of evidenced-based literature. That theory may have hit the nail on the head about Palmer faltering in big games by luck, but I'd say it is for other reasons.

In Sports Psych, players falter in key moments often due to a lack of concentration. Behavior can be learned and changed.

Me, I watched many of his throws. He was off all day. I really think it was due to his finger injury.

He was just throwing balls up there to get picked off.

I would argue it was more than just the injury.
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson is the only Bengal QB that has been good in the playoffs. Boomer's career playoff stats
5 games 600yds passing 4 TD's 3 Int's. 51.5 % completion percentage. Most of the TD's came in the 1990 playoff game against Houston. He was not good in the playoffs the Super Bowl year.
Reply/Quote

Not really. Dalton got a lot of love this year for his play during the regular season. He's also gotten a lot of love for the first 3 years in the league. 2014 gave us a glimpse of his floor and people didn't like that very much.

The playoff disasters just didn't help his cause. And they were disasters, make no doubt about it. Not as bad as the Carson disaster, but close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 07:03 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Ken Anderson is the only Bengal QB that has been good in the playoffs. Boomer's career playoff stats
5 games 600yds passing 4 TD's 3 Int's. 51.5 % completion percentage. Most of the TD's came in the 1990 playoff game against Houston. He was not good in the playoffs the Super Bowl year.

I dislike Boomer, and have since his playing days here. However, it is only fair to mention Boomer played through a pretty messed up shoulder injury the year of the Super Bowl. He got hurt at the end of the regular season, and gutted it out through the playoffs. That's why he had those lousy passer ratings in the playoffs that year (which taint the whole picture pretty badly). 
Reply/Quote