Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Playoffs?! Playoffs?!!!
Before anyone thinks I've got absolutely mad, please know that I'm not letting one game completely change my mind on this team. (It was a really nice win though)

There are reports out now that the NFL is strongly considering moving to a 16 team (8 in each conference) playoffs for this season. What they're saying that would make this all but inevitable is if any team has to cancel a game without a remaining bye, or if he a game is played where a team is forced to play missing multiple players. Apparently, adding a week 18 is off the table. This is where the expanded playoffs come in.

So, that is really the point of this thread. The potential of expanded playoffs. And according to Adam Schefter it's very likely to happen.

That changes things quite a bit. Now, do I think that, even with 8 AFC's teams potentially getting in, that we have a great chance? No. But....but, it's not completely out of the question.

We currently sit at 2-5-1. Even if we lose to the Steelers (we could beat them), which would put us at 2-6-1, all is not lost. Are next 4 game are as follows: @Washington, Giants, @ Dolphins, Cowboys.

Could we run those stretch of games? Could we win 3 of 4? What do we look like at 2-2?

If this team is sitting at, say, 5-7-1, we would at least be in the hunt for a final spot. I'm not saying we'll get one, but at least the last month of the season would be exciting with meaningful games.

Now here's what we're looking at with the final 3 games: Steelers, @Texans, Ravens.

The Texans game is definitely winnable, as they stink and are in the midst of a complete regime change. The Ravens, while very good, is the last week of the season. What happens if they rest their starters? And the Steelers, if you just chalked up next week as a loss, and can you automatically penciled them in for 0-2?

I'm not sold on this team at all, but a lot of these scenarios intrigue me. And in a year like this, if we get to 7-8-1, that will give us a chance at the 8th spot. If we somehow got to 8-7-1 then I'd guess we'd be all but a lock.

Just food for thought. Might want to watch for the playoff developments, and keep your fingers crossed that we can at least make this interesting.
Reply/Quote
The defense needs to get cleaned up in a big way for this to be even remotely possible.

Just don't see it this year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
If they come out against the Stoolers fired up and win at poopsburg it would go a long way in convincing me it's possible.
Reply/Quote
I get the excitement and the possibility is real but what is more important long term?

A one and done playoff appearance or a higher draft spot to shore up the O-line or D-line for the next four to five years?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Realign with the NFC East and we're there.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We are going 0-2 against Pittsburgh. Realism not pessimism.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The defense needs to get cleaned up in a big way for this to be even remotely possible.

Just don't see it this year.

(11-03-2020, 02:31 PM)Mer Wrote: If they come out against the Stoolers fired up and win at poopsburg it would go a long way in convincing me it's possible.

These two things^

Don’t see it happening. I know everyone is flying high right now but we’ll likely come back to earth against the Steelers offense and pass rush. That said, a win against Pitt and expanded playoffs and maybe it wouldn’t be completely crazy to dream at that point. Still don’t see it unless Lou/this D learns how to play prevent D. Our prevent does nothing but prevent us from winning
Reply/Quote
The Bengals sit 11th in the conference currently.
They are currently 2 games out of the potential final playoff spot if there were 8 teams to make it.
3 games out if they stick with just 6 teams.
If the format ended up being just the top 2 teams in each division instead of 4 division winners + 4 WC teams, it would make it even tougher due to records of BAL and CLE.

If the Bengals lose to PIT (x2) and BAL, that would put the Bengals at 8 losses, making the best record they can achieve as 7-8-1.
I don't see a 7-8-1 record being able to make the playoffs when 9 teams currently have winning records in the conference right now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Like almost always, I was probably way more detailed than I should've been in post. (I write way too much)

The main point of this wasnt that we have a great shot. It was just than an expansion changes things and could make the final month more meaningful.

If we can win 3 of the next 5 we'll at least have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get the excitement and the possibility is real but what is more important long term?

A one and done playoff appearance or a higher draft spot to shore up the O-line or D-line for the next four to five years?

If we finish with just 4 wins or so then it is going to be hard to get any decent free agents to sign here and the good guys we have may not re-sign.

If we only win 4 games then some coaches will also have to be fired, and it would make it harder to get decent replacements.  Our current DC was like our sixth choice.  We had college DCs turning us down.

And, finally, I believ there is something to the argument of "learning how to win".  At some point players need to believe they can win to actually win.  It has been 4 years since we had a winning record.  A lot of players on our roster don't know what the mindset of a winning team is like.
Reply/Quote
We will finish at the bottom of the division. No playoff chances.
Reply/Quote
It is a huge longshot, but here are some things to consider.

Titans defense is REALLY bad. It has been exposed.. They are 5-2, but 6 of their remaining games are against teams that are currently 5-3 or better. Hard to believe but hey could collapse and finish 8-8.

Cleveland is 5-3, but their offense is 23rd and their defense is 19th. They could collapse with a couple of key injuries.

Or Covid could ruin the season for a couple of teams.

Even if we don't make it it would be good to feel like we were still in the race for a while.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we finish with just 4 wins or so then it is going to be hard to get any decent free agents to sign here and the good guys we have may not re-sign.

If we only win 4 games then some coaches will also have to be fired, and it would make it harder to get decent replacements.  Our current DC was like our sixth choice.  We had college DCs turning us down.

And, finally, I believ there is something to the argument of "learning how to win".  At some point players need to believe they can win to actually win.  It has been 4 years since we had a winning record.  A lot of players on our roster don't know what the mindset of a winning team is like.

We had 2 wins and got Bell and Reader to come here.

Money talks and next year it sounds like the cap is going to drop so there will be a lot of guys who need jobs due to being cap casualties.

If ever there was a year to pick top 5, this would be it. Draft a couple starters in round 1 and 2 and then you use FA and the cap space to fill a few holes, and this team could be in the hunt sooner then I thought. I thought 2022, but 2021 could be an interesting season if they draft well and hit on a couple pieces in FA. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get the excitement and the possibility is real but what is more important long term?

Making the playoffs doesn't guarantee a worse draft pick. A sub or near .500 record still has you picking middle of the pack, draftwise. 

I'd rather have that, than another shit season and top 10 pick. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Like almost always, I was probably way more detailed than I should've been in post. (I write way too much)

The main point of this wasnt that we have a great shot. It was just than an expansion changes things and could make the final month more meaningful.

If we can win 3 of the next 5 we'll at least have a chance.

Schedules for all the teams who are ahead of the Bengals:
PIT (7-0) - DAL, CIN, JAX, BAL, WAS, BUF, CIN, IND, CLE
Prediction: 14-2 or 13-3

KC (7-1) - CAR, LV, TB, DEN, MIA, NO, ATL, LAC
Prediction: 13-3 or 12-4

BAL (5-2) - IND, NE, TEN, PIT, DAL, CLE, JAX, NYG, CIN
Prediction: 12-4 or 11-5

CLE (5-3) - HOU, PHI, JAX, TEN, BAL, NYG, NYJ, PIT
Prediction: 11-5 or 10-6

IND (5-2) - BAL, TEN, GB, TEN, HOU, LV, HOU, PIT, JAX
Prediction: 10-6 or 9-7

TEN (5-2) - CHI, IND, BAL, IND, CLE, JAX, DET, GB, HOU
Prediction: 10-6 or 9-7

LV (4-3) - LAC, DEN, KC, ATL, NYJ, IND, LAC, MIA, DEN
Prediction: 10-6 or 9-7

BUF (5-2) - SEA, ARI, LAC, SF, PIT, DEN, NE, MIA
Prediction: 11-5 or 10-6

MIA (4-3) - ARI, LAC, DEN, NYJ, CIN, KC, NE, LV, BUF
Prediction: 9-7 or 8-8

DEN (3-4) - ATL, LV, MIA, NO, KC, CAR, BUF, LAC, LV
Prediction: 7-9 or 6-10

For Bengals, I see best case is 7-8-1 assuming they beat everyone besides PIT and BAL.
I think they realistically end up with 3-4 more wins to have a final record of 5-10-1 or 6-9-1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Before anyone thinks I've got absolutely mad, please know that I'm not letting one game completely change my mind on this team. (It was a really nice win though)

There are reports out now that the NFL is strongly considering moving to a 16 team (8 in each conference) playoffs for this season.  What they're saying that would make this all but inevitable is if any team has to cancel a game without a remaining bye, or if he a game is played where a team is forced to play missing multiple players.  Apparently, adding a week 18 is off the table.  This is where the expanded playoffs come in.

So, that is really the point of this thread.  The potential of expanded playoffs.  And according to Adam Schefter it's very likely to happen.

That changes things quite a bit.  Now, do I think that, even with 8 AFC's teams potentially getting in, that we have a great chance?  No.  But....but, it's not completely out of the question.

We currently sit at 2-5-1.  Even if we lose to the Steelers (we could beat them), which would put us at 2-6-1, all is not lost.  Are next 4 game are as follows:  @Washington, Giants, @ Dolphins, Cowboys.

Could we run those stretch of games?  Could we win 3 of 4?  What do we look like at 2-2?

If this team is sitting at, say, 5-7-1, we would at least be in the hunt for a final spot.  I'm not saying we'll get one, but at least the last month of the season would be exciting with meaningful games.

Now here's what we're looking at with the final 3 games: Steelers, @Texans, Ravens.

The Texans game is definitely winnable, as they stink and are in the midst of a complete regime change.  The Ravens, while very good, is the last week of the season.  What happens if they rest their starters?  And the Steelers, if you just chalked up next week as a loss, and can you automatically penciled them in for 0-2?

I'm not sold on this team at all, but a lot of these scenarios intrigue me.  And in a year like this, if we get to 7-8-1, that will give us a chance at the 8th spot.  If we somehow got to 8-7-1 then I'd guess we'd be all but a lock.

Just food for thought.  Might want to watch for the playoff developments, and keep your fingers crossed that we can at least make this interesting.

Takes balls to make this post...I made a few comments in other threads about it and was sure to get hammered for it.

However, consider this:  last year, the defense was setting records for ineptitude and started come play at least average ball down the stretch.  The rushing attack also started to come on, and the Bengals are already doing very well in time of possession and trying to minimize possessions for the opponent.  

The real test is next weekend (two weeks).  It isn't for us, the fans, but for the players.  If they go out and knock off pitt, they will be on an all-time high and will play with an absolute expectation of winning.  Then look at the next four games:

Washington
NYG
Miami
Dallas

It is absolutely conceivable that if they knock off pitt, they end this stretch at 7-5-1, with three games remaining.  If you figure the division winners to be Buffalo, pitt, KC, and Tennessee or Indy, that leaves three playoff spots that right now would belong to Baltimore, Tenn/Indy (whichever doesn't win their division), and Cleveland, with Vegas a half game behind Cleveland and a head-to-head win. 

I don't really see Tennesse or Indy dropping off the playoff hunt, nor do I see Baltimore losing out, but the Browns and Vegas are entirely catchable.  The Browns had an awful outing against the Raiders, but they do have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch with only games against Tennessee,  Baltimore, and pitt where they are likely not to be favored.  We can help ourselves a lot by beating pitt because they might not otherwise have anything to play for week 17 against the Browns.

So, that is what it boils down to:  Can they catch the Browns, Raiders, or Miami.  If they do what I listed above, it is entirely possible.  

I doubt they beat pitt this weekend.  They won't take the Bengals lightly, and I don't see the Bengals doing much to stop their offense.  I sure hope I am wrong, but just hoping Burrow scores a TD every drive isn't really a great game plan with a high probability of occurrance.  

It would sure be fun, though.  
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals beat the steelers in two weeks then yes they'll make the playoffs
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Before anyone thinks I've got absolutely mad, please know that I'm not letting one game completely change my mind on this team. (It was a really nice win though)

There are reports out now that the NFL is strongly considering moving to a 16 team (8 in each conference) playoffs for this season.  What they're saying that would make this all but inevitable is if any team has to cancel a game without a remaining bye, or if he a game is played where a team is forced to play missing multiple players.  Apparently, adding a week 18 is off the table.  This is where the expanded playoffs come in.

So, that is really the point of this thread.  The potential of expanded playoffs.  And according to Adam Schefter it's very likely to happen.

That changes things quite a bit.  Now, do I think that, even with 8 AFC's teams potentially getting in, that we have a great chance?  No.  But....but, it's not completely out of the question.

We currently sit at 2-5-1.  Even if we lose to the Steelers (we could beat them), which would put us at 2-6-1, all is not lost.  Are next 4 game are as follows:  @Washington, Giants, @ Dolphins, Cowboys.

Could we run those stretch of games?  Could we win 3 of 4?  What do we look like at 2-2?

If this team is sitting at, say, 5-7-1, we would at least be in the hunt for a final spot.  I'm not saying we'll get one, but at least the last month of the season would be exciting with meaningful games.

The Texans game is definitely winnable, as they stink and are in the midst of a complete regime change.  The Ravens, while very good, is the last week of the season.  What happens if they rest their starters?  And the Steelers, if you just chalked up next week as a loss, and can you automatically penciled them in for 0-2?

I'm not sold on this team at all, but a lot of these scenarios intrigue me.  And in a year like this, if we get to 7-8-1, that will give us a chance at the 8th spot.  If we somehow got to 8-7-1 then I'd guess we'd be all but a lock.

Just food for thought.  Might want to watch for the playoff developments, and keep your fingers crossed that we can at least make this interesting.

Hey man, anything is possible with what you say here, very interesting. I am not throwing anything out at this point.

With Burrow playing the way he has, us getting this bye at the right time, our weapons looking more than decent and our Safeties
playing this well along with our young players at LB and on the DL we could pull off some wins, more than a few. Taylor finally does
not look completely inept at calling plays. Same with Turner with the OL and the D under Lou could get better with Hubbard coming 
back and bringing in another pass rusher. Geno might look better after the bye who knows?

In the end agree with Big Boss though, Lou is pretty terrible. We got bailed out by some plays against the Titans.

Won't ever happen against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
Win 4 of next 5 (3 of which we will be favored) to get us to 6-6-1 for MnF at home against Pittsburgh and anything from there is possible
Reply/Quote
lol
Reply/Quote