Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ McCarron POSITIVE THREAD
(12-31-2015, 11:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Wins are the #1 stat.. if your team does not win.. yard, TDs does not matter much.. though I would put INTs right there with yards and TDs.  Teams that are bad are going to get alot of junk yards in the 4th quarter.. Teams that are good and winning are not... 

Point is, whenever people in general hear record year with qbs, it's always related to raw production. Touchdowns, yards, ints etc. Never just passer rating and efficiency.
Reply/Quote
yes to a point.. you don;t hear it much though if that team is not winning, a good example of this year is Rivers, he is on pace to have a career year in yards.. with 27 Tds and 12 ints.. but the team is bad and you don;t hear much about his season.. So I would never just say it is always related to raw production.. winning is a decent part of equation of a QB year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/McCarron-News-Conference-Transcript/09d6788c-a65f-49cf-a379-3de872634048

Confident Leader qualities!!! he does not show his wrist that I see on this video however.. wondering how bad it is....... He is proud of how the guys played like he is the MAN.. LOL.. Awesome.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 02:37 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: You are consistent...any spin to fit your narrative. 

Let's see when the year is over how the final numbers look for BB. I think I would take 500 more yards, a hand full more TD's and 4 less int's any day. So would you.

I would agree they are similar in some aspects. However your statement of "Dalton Like" implies that Dalton like was a league measuring stick. Your stats prove that Dalton's 2013 was pretty average...a far cry from how some on here would have you believe about AD's best year.

Lol. I'm the one spinning? When Bortles ends this season, he will have around 4400+ yards, 37+ TDs, and likely 18+ INTs. His rating sits at 90.3.

In 2013, Dalton had 4300 yards, 33 TDs, 20 INTs and his rating was 88.8. You're honestly going to sit here and tell me there's a huge difference there? 

I'm not making any claims about Dalton being a "measuring stick". Dalton was average in 2013, just as Bortles is average now. His bulk stats are great. His completion % is terrible, he has too many INTs and his passer rating is average. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Just to stay on topic, I love McCarron's confidence. You'd think a guy making his 2nd start against a top defense on the road would crumble, but he looked pretty good. I think he gives us a good chance any time he's out there. I'm even confident that we could win a playoff game with him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol. I'm the one spinning? When Bortles ends this season, he will have around 4400+ yards, 37+ TDs, and likely 18+ INTs. His rating sits at 90.3.

In 2013, Dalton had 4300 yards, 33 TDs, 20 INTs and his rating was 88.8. You're honestly going to sit here and tell me there's a huge difference there? 

I'm not making any claims about Dalton being a "measuring stick". Dalton was average in 2013, just as Bortles is average now. His bulk stats are great. His completion % is terrible, he has too many INTs and his passer rating is average. 

Guess it depends on your perspective.. I put much more weight in wins for QBs over just passing stats..  I don;t ignore stats but i just feel QBs that are winning on a consistent basis is a better judge of how well they are doing.

At some point if you are a really good QB you should win more than you lose. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just to stay on topic, I love McCarron's confidence. You'd think a guy making his 2nd start against a top defense on the road would crumble, but he looked pretty good. I think he gives us a good chance any time he's out there. I'm even confident that we could win a playoff game with him.

Well 1st half yes.. but 2nd half I felt he looked like the young QB he is.. Dalton I believe would have performed better in 2nd half.  
If we are going to win with AJ in the playoffs, we need a better Defense perfomance... I don;t think AJ can carry us in playoffs without a solid defense performance
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 07:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well 1st half yes.. but 2nd half I felt he looked like the young QB he is.. Dalton I believe would have performed better in 2nd half.  
If we are going to win with AJ in the playoffs, we need a better Defense perfomance... I don;t think AJ can carry us in playoffs without a solid defense performance

I agree. I think he went 10 of 20 for 81 yards and the fumble in the 2nd half + OT. He struggled with the zone defense. I'm sure they'll work on that in practice and hopefully he can improve. I think he will. Either way, he's definitely going to need the rest of the team (run game and defense) to show up big for him. 

For years, Dalton has been called a game manager and it was often said that the players around him had to "carry" him. That was total BS. What we're seeing now with a young McCarron is that type of QB. He's been pretty good at limiting turnovers and making a few plays, but he's not going to win games for us. That doesn't mean he's bad though. He's just not on Dalton's level. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 10:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree. I think he went 10 of 20 for 81 yards and the fumble in the 2nd half + OT. He struggled with the zone defense. I'm sure they'll work on that in practice and hopefully he can improve. I think he will. Either way, he's definitely going to need the rest of the team (run game and defense) to show up big for him. 

For years, Dalton has been called a game manager and it was often said that the players around him had to "carry" him. That was total BS. What we're seeing now with a young McCarron is that type of QB. He's been pretty good at limiting turnovers and making a few plays, but he's not going to win games for us. That doesn't mean he's bad though. He's just not on Dalton's level. 

i agree, he is not bad.. I think we can win with AJ but our Defense has to step up for him... We can;t allow over 300 yards like we did in the 2nd half against Denver
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 07:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well 1st half yes.. but 2nd half I felt he looked like the young QB he is.. Dalton I believe would have performed better in 2nd half.  

Hue has to elevate his game for AJ too and he has not done that.   All too often, Hue struggles to answer the answer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Before people get too far ahead of themselves, McCarron did lead a tying FG drive late. I'm not sure if it was on that drive, but he also converted a 3rd and 15(?) According to Lap, only the 2nd time this year the Bengals converted a 3rd and 15 or longer.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 05:07 PM)McC Wrote: Hue has to elevate his game for AJ too and he has not done that.   All too often, Hue struggles to answer the answer.

i disagree.. it comes down to execution... Hue is a sound coach.. we just did not execute in 2nd half like we did 1st half.  Here are just a couple good examples.. we had a open WR maybe Jones or AJ that looks like going in for a TD can;t remember, we over throw the ball, then we have AJ stop on a route that would have also been a TD.. just those two play calls if executed correctly means mostly likely two TDs or at the worst one and field goal position on the other.. game over most likely then. and really I put the fault on the Defense.. we had a 11 point lead going into 2nd half.. this defense should have held a lead especially since the offensive had zero turnovers to give Denver a short field
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 02:12 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i agree, he is not bad.. I think we can win with AJ but our Defense has to step up for him... We can;t allow over 300 yards like we did in the 2nd half against Denver

I would say the same could be said if Andy were healthy. 
Reply/Quote