Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Please calm me down...
(04-05-2020, 06:49 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: There is no guarantee a Heisman trophy winner succeeds in the NFL. Tebow and Manzel to name a few. I would highly consider trading to Miami for a haul of players and picks. I'm okay with sticking to Burrow, but that's the dice you are rolling.

Good thing for us Burrow has plenty of extremely impressive accomplishments on his resume besides just winning a Heisman.

And the haul you’re getting in return is just as much of a gamble. More even, given our recent 1st round drafting history.

Passing on Burrow would be the stupidest thing this franchise has done since not making Bill Walsh our HC, imo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 06:49 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: There is no guarantee a Heisman trophy winner succeeds in the NFL. Tebow and Manzel to name a few. I would highly consider trading to Miami for a haul of players and picks. I'm okay with sticking to Burrow, but that's the dice you are rolling.

Fortunately, no one on the planet has ever compared Burrow to Tebow or Manziel.

Well, except for you, that is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 03:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Simple... no way Burrow came into last year as a Manning or a Luck, he was not even mentioned in 1st round at times a 2nd round pick... It is hard to go back in time and think of another QB that has went from somewhat obsure to #1 pick.. yes he has moved to #1 QB pick at same time some think there is no way you can;t draft him over trading back and adding either Herbert or Tua... I don't understand the other side of the argument that you can;t look at the other QBs plus what else you can get with extra picks.. I am not putting Burrow as an untouchable #1 and I am not alone out there with those that study and understand football better than us as a whole.   So if we trade him and still get a top flight QB and extra picks that add to this team I can understand.  If the Bengals decide his value is better than what is offered than ok.. 

And before Kyler Murray's season started, he wasn't even a lock to win the starting job at Oklahoma, much less get drafted by the NFL. Is that a recent enough of a rise of coming out of no where to end up top pick in the draft?

LOL. Heisman or not every player is a rolling of the dice. And your stretching bigtime by even mentioning those 2 qbs as comparables to Burrows. Tebow? Not even close. Manziel? Closer because he put up good numbers as well, but wasn't he an alcoholic? Or have a drug problem? Or at the very least I'd say he had a poor work ethic. None of those seem to be an issue from all we have heard about Burrrows.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 07:06 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Here's the reality of the matter:

1. Our roster is decent enough to be competitive this season.
2. Burrow is a huge upgrade over Dalton and will instantly make us better.
3. The current coaching staff is a huge question mark; we'll know more once the season starts. 
4. Marvin was a mediocre coach just like our QB of the past decade.  We have enough evidence of that based upon his regular season record and playoffs. 
There is zero prove to number 2 at this time  he has prove it in the NFL and if he is that good. Playoffs has to be 1st year since Dalton achieved it.
Reply/Quote
What’s up with all the Dalton lovers hating on Burrow? One of them had 9 years to take the team to the promise land and failed the other looks to be the future n just achieved the best college season in the history of college football. Let’s go Burrow!!
Reply/Quote

They are all really just "rolls of the dice". You don't know if a pick is going to work out or not. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: There is zero prove to number 2 at this time  he has prove it in the NFL and if he is that good. Playoffs has to be 1st year since Dalton achieved it.

The team AD inherited didnt have OL issues. 

But whatever, Burrows has 9 years to win a Playoff games right cause AD never achieved that....
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 02:49 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: They are all really just "rolls of the dice". You don't know if a pick is going to work out or not. 

I'd agree... but isn't this a reason to trade one first round pick for three? Three rolls...
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:16 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'd agree... but isn't this a reason to trade one first round pick for three? Three rolls...

Kinda. If we didn't have such a great FA off season,  then yes, use draft to rebuild. But we had a good one and also by your logic why would teams be willing to give up a ton of picks for one guy? 

Itr goes both ways. Burrows is very highly regarded so pick him if it's a need and it's definitely a need for us.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to fathom that this crybaby's whiney ass post has more replies than the DJ Reader thread. SMH... This lockdown thing has folks bored out of their minds.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:40 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It's hard to fathom that this crybaby's whiney ass post has more replies than the DJ Reader thread. SMH... This lockdown thing has folks bored out of their minds.

Live look at coach McNeil during the lockdown...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12558964]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: McAlister, Dehner Jr., and Baby all say Burrow's the pick.  You guys are letting cabin fever get to you.

Brown made the trip to Indy to meet with Burrow.  And you could just as easily argue that the moves in free agency were, in some measure, a gesture of good faith considering Burrow's remarks about wanting to play for a team committed to winning.

Franchise QB's are invaluable.  You pick the right one and you're potentially set for a decade.  You pick the wrong one, nobody faults you for taking the consensus top pick and you move on in 5 years.  

You can just as easily **** up having multiple picks in the first round.  Take a look at Cleveland a few years ago.  What did they do with all those massive hauls?  Not a goddamn thing. 

No thanks.  I'll keep the one pick that could be a franchise-changing QB.  Frankly, if it were me, I wouldn't even pick up the phone.  Miami can get my voicemail on this.  
Having FA before the draft has greatly reduced the value of loading up on draft picks.  The Bengals have addressed defensive deficiencies.  On offense they can address most of their issues in the draft.  They are in position starting at #33 to trade down for picks and still keep Burrows.
Pass on getting a haul.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 10:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: That is my biggest concern. Yes we got smashed by injuries and yes the OL was crap but we had MAJOR issues in scheme and play calling too. I'm not sure I trust either ZT or Callahan to install a coherent offense and call proper plays. 

If I have a big concern it is this. We will take Burrow, but how well can he play under the Play Calling we saw last season?

Things will need to change in both the system and in play calling for Burrow to succeed.

And the O-line will have to be decent and the weapons will need to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If I have a big concern it is this. We will take Burrow, but how well can he play under the Play Calling we saw last season?

Things will need to change in both the system and in play calling for Burrow to succeed.

And the O-line will have to be decent and the weapons will need to stay healthy.

As bad as the play calling was, we still had a bunch of close losses (8 games by 1 score). Burrow hits a throw here or there that Dalton misses and it could make a difference.

If Taylor even slightly improves, and AJ stays healthy...

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Playoffs has to be 1st year since Dalton achieved it.

Is this a fair standard by which we compare Joe Burrow?  I might be inclined to use the Carson Palmer rookie standard of 8-8 instead.  I'm not talking about Carson's actual rookie year; I mean 2004 which is the first year he started.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:16 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'd agree... but isn't this a reason to trade one first round pick for three? Three rolls...

Maybe...if the one is not a QB and more specifically, not THIS QB.  Teams have done a lot of multiple pick deals to go up and get lesser QB prospects.  Happens pretty much every year.

And why do they do that?  Because QB's matter more.

Also, when is the last time a QB prospect looked this ready to play right away?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering are Wrote: Is this a fair standard by which we compare Joe Burrow?  I might be inclined to use the Carson Palmer rookie standard of 8-8 instead.  I'm not talking about Carson's actual rookie year; I mean 2004 which is the first year he started.

It’s not fair to compare either. Different teams with different players, different coaches etc.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 04:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As bad as the play calling was, we still had a bunch of close losses (8 games by 1 score). Burrow hits a throw here or there that Dalton misses and it could make a difference.

If Taylor even slightly improves, and AJ stays healthy...

All true, which is why I like how things are leaning after this FA and going into the Draft.

Taylor is young, he can learn and get better at what he does and Burrow sure will help big time.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:25 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe...if the one is not a QB and more specifically, not THIS QB.  Teams have done a lot of multiple pick deals to go up and get lesser QB prospects.  Happens pretty much every year.

And why do they do that?  Because QB's matter more.

Also, when is the last time a QB prospect looked this ready to play right away?

Maybe Andrew Luck and he didn't put up the numbers Burrow did last year and he wasn't in the SEC slaughtering the best 
teams in college. Burrow is more of a sure thing than any pick I can remember and it is right when we need a new Franchise
QB. No way we pass on Burrow for a bunch of picks, no way.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:22 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Kinda. If we didn't have such a great FA off season,  then yes, use draft to rebuild. But we had a good one and also by your logic why would teams be willing to give up a ton of picks for one guy? 

Fair enough. I don't know why the Dolphins would do that. If I were the Dolphins, I'd never give up 2 additional first rounders to move from 5 to 1.
In my defense, the premise of the thread was that they'd offer that for whatever reason. Maybe they use a different logic than mine :)

(04-06-2020, 05:22 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Itr goes both ways. Burrows is very highly regarded so pick him if it's a need and it's definitely a need for us.

I wouldn't see it as the biggest need though. Imho that would still be OL or LB. The current QB is considered good enough for the Patriots possibly, by many folks.
Reply/Quote