Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Please tell me Nick Vigil won't be starting in 2018.
Been a fan of this team for a long time. I've seen a lot of lbers come and go.
But Nick Vigil might be the one of the worst I've seen in quite a long time.
Someone explain to me how Vigil earned that starting job or better yet why wasn't he replaced mid season ?
Meanwhile Paul Guenther buries Marqius Flowers yet The Pats find a role for him .
How can the front office justify him even in the roster ?
Reply/Quote
Hobson recently wrote that Burfict, Vigil and Evans are the assumed starting linebackers going into next season.
Reply/Quote
I remember when we drafted him in the third round and the homers thought he was going to really tear it up and be a top player...

others saw a rat tail boy..
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 03:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember when we drafted him in the third round and the homers thought he was going to really tear it up and be a top player...

Yeah.... the "Vigil-antes"......lmao. I still think Nick can develop into a good SLB, but his hype was way ahead of his game.
Reply/Quote
So you cut him after one season and not give him a chance to develop?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 04:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah.... the "Vigil-antes"......lmao. I still think Nick can develop into a good SLB, but his hype was way ahead of his game.

I always thought that "Vigil-antes" was a meme. I didn't think anyone was that serious about that. I mean, there was even a "Chuck Norris" type thread.

Honestly I don't think Vigil is THAT bad, but I don't think he's good.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 04:32 PM)Synric Wrote: So you cut him after one season and not give him a chance to develop?

He' s a backup at best. The Bengals were starting too many guys last year
That were handed starting jobs 
Vigil has trouble taking on blocks shedding and finding ball carrier
He cant stay with rbs and te's on simple crossing routes or arrow routes 
Develop ...really. the Bengals need to draft guys that can make plays tight out the gate 
Ask the Steelers how TJ Watt is doing 
Light years ahead of Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 05:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He' s a backup at best. The Bengals were starting too many guys last year
Develop ...really. the Bengals need to draft guys that can make plays tight out the gate 

Vigil struggled on the strong side which was his first time playing that position but was good on the weakside which he played a little in college.

Same with Evans they played him at all 3 spots and he struggled as a SAM was ok in the middle but looked really good on the weakside. 

Yes young players do develop...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 05:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He' s a backup at best. The Bengals were starting too many guys last year

What?! The Steelers drafted a player in the first round who was better than a 3rd rounder of the bengals?!?! Man the Bengals are pathetic smh
Reply/Quote
I don't think he's terrible but he's not good either. He will be in his 3rd year this upcoming season so he has to show progress this season. We definitely need to upgrade the linebacker group. My biggest issue with the linebackers is you have to take into account that Burfict will probably be suspended multiple games or injured at some point in the season, making Vigil and Evans roles expand even more. I'd be interested to see if Burfict gets suspended again how long will the Bengals keep up with his antics because it's getting old for me.
Reply/Quote
Linebacker is arguably our biggest need in this draft. Evans is mediocre, vigil pretty much sucks, Burfict cannot be relied on and it's a guarantee that he will miss time with injury and/or suspension.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 06:04 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What?! The Steelers drafted a player in the first round who was better than a 3rd rounder of the bengals?!?! Man the Bengals are pathetic smh

Let's see the Steelers won the division last 2 years and Bengals have flounderd with 7 and 9 and 6 9 1 in the last 2 years.
How about Marvin and Co changing a draft philosophy and actually drafting a LB high instead of drafting clowns from Utah State who get over matched by even average rb's on his best day. 
Draft a LB who' s play making ability jumps off the film.draft me a lb that I don' t have to wait 3 years to see if he has
It or not.
Yeah Marvin lucked out by finding Burfict. 
But it' time this front office took a LB that can blanket TEs and stand up RBs in the hole. Drop him in his tracks 
And oh yeah be reliable on gameday 
Vigil couldnt start for the 0 16 Browns. 
Reply/Quote
We have better coaching. Ninja

[Image: Let+the+kid+play+with+the+gun+what+could...5dea7e.gif]

Reply/Quote

TJ Watt is a 3-4 OLB that is predominantly a pass rusher. He is not in a similar role to any of the Bengals LBs unless you count Lawson as a LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
While I would have no problem with Vigil being kept around for depth, I don't see him as the long term answer as a starter.

What I would like to see at the SAM position, is a 6'5" #240 athlete with good speed, great instincts and ball skills. At SAM in a 4-3, I'm not as worried about how well he can shed a block from a Center or Guard, as I am about how well he jams a TE and prevents outlet passes to RB and Slots on slant routes.

Vigil appears to be cut out for none of those duties.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 03:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been a fan of this team for a long time. I've seen a lot of lbers come and go.
But Nick Vigil might be the one of the worst I've seen in quite a long time.
Someone explain to me how Vigil earned that starting job or better yet why wasn't he replaced mid season ?
Meanwhile Paul Guenther buries Marqius Flowers yet The Pats find a role for him .
How can the front office justify him even in the roster ?
Remember all the hype posted a couple years ago about Vigil. He was touted as can't miss on these boards. SO, WTF HAPPENED TO HIM?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 03:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember when we drafted him in the third round and the homers thought he was going to really tear it up and be a top player...

I was thinking the same thing.

I never understood what people saw in him.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 10:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I was thinking the same thing.

I never understood what people saw in him.

The same thing they saw/see in Rex Burkhead, Brian Leonard, and Alex Ericson LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 10:50 PM)treee Wrote: The same thing they saw/see in Rex Burkhead, Brian Leonard, and Alex Ericson LOL

C'mon man, Woody dunked at the end of White Men Can't Jump...   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't see anything either Evans or Vigil did last year that made them set-in-stone starter material.

Maybe the team just feels that their needs on the o-line are too numerous to invest an early pick in a linebacker. That's the only justification I can envision. They could sign a decent linebacker, I guess.

The organization showed us last year that a player sucking monster balls for one season doesn't equate to the team moving on from the player. I think they're going the Ogbuehi route with Vigil and I'd guess that it will go largely the same way it did for Ced.
Reply/Quote