Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polian: Questioning Bengals playoff success "absurd"
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/05/17/bengals-bill-polian/27479191/

This actually reminds me of a poll I posted back on the old message board, about whether or not it was necessarily relevant that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in over 20 years.

Polian seems to agree with my opinion that being a consistent playoff contender is the most important step towards getting to and winning a Super Bowl. 

Drafting for depth and building a powerful roster is the most effective way to build a team, IMHO. And with New England and Denver seemingly going through their own troubles with their quarterbacks and rosters our time may come sooner than later.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 09:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/05/17/bengals-bill-polian/27479191/

This actually reminds me of a poll I posted back on the old message board, about whether or not it was necessarily relevant that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in over 20 years.

Polian seems to agree with my opinion that being a consistent playoff contender is the most important step towards getting to and winning a Super Bowl. 

Drafting for depth and building a powerful roster is the most effective way to build a team, IMHO. And with New England and Denver seemingly going through their own troubles with their quarterbacks and rosters our time may come sooner than later.

people will hate on you but this is very logical
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's absurd at all. Seems perfectly legit to question the lack of playoff success. You would think in that many tries, a team could have stumbled onto a win.

In some people's minds, asking the question is somehow seen as diminishing the 40 wins. It is not. It's the lost opportunities.

And I don't really see anyone suggesting blow it all up.

I don't disagree totally with staying the course. It's the answer if the roster not being good enough was the sole answer to the question what happened.

If the roster was good enough to win and didn't, then the answer might be different.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 09:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/05/17/bengals-bill-polian/27479191/

The issue I have is are we really a "consistent playoff contender" ? Or is it more like we've made the playoffs by a hair, backed in, or whatever you want to call it ?

In other words we're not improving ! It's the same game over and over again. The only game we've really "been in" was the first qtr. and change in the San Diego game then we folded like a pup tent like we always do.

Like McC talks about is it really our talent ? Or is it something else ?

I feel we've been way more a playoff pretender than a true in the hunt contender !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Obviously, the fan base (who is paying the salaries) is frustrated. We wouldn't even be talking about this if that wasn't the case. It's just another "silence the critics" article. If there was only one correct emotion (happy), then why even watch the games?

When you have 5 SB appearances like Polian has, it's easy to be upbeat and btw Bill, it's 4 playoff losses in a row, not 3. How many more seasons is it acceptable to go one and done in the playoffs? 1, 2, 3 or maybe 6?

I'm always excited about a new year but if I had to bet a million dollars on our outcome this year, I would bet we lose in the first round, again.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
People are going to bash because they're emotional and understandably want a playoff win but going to the playoffs consistently is a huge step for this franchise. Obviously it hasn't been enough so far but it's night and day from the Palmer era.

Trouble players are gone, wins are up, drafting better all around and they're retaining the majority of the players they shoot for. If they can keep building off of what they've achieved thus far life should be good for Bengals fans in the future.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 12:09 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Obviously, the fan base (who is paying the salaries) is frustrated.  We wouldn't even be talking about this if that wasn't the case.  It's just another "silence the critics" article.  If there was only one correct emotion (happy), then why even watch the games?  

When you have 5 SB appearances like Polian has, it's easy to be upbeat and btw Bill, it's 4 playoff losses in a row, not 3.  How many more seasons is it acceptable to go one and done in the playoffs? 1, 2, 3 or maybe 6?  

I'm always excited about a new year but if I had to bet a million dollars on our outcome this year, I would bet we lose in the first round, again.

I'll become a pessimist the day the Bengals stop making playoff appearances.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 12:59 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I'll become a pessimist the day the Bengals stop making playoff appearances.

I don't know if I could agree that some of us are true pessimists though. When the team hasn't won a playoff game in over 20 years, is it really that much "gloom and doom" to assume that they'll find a way to lose again without making any big changes?

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but what should make me think is going to be so different from 2013? We're basically putting that same team on the field minus Zimmer and Gruden, unknown status on MLJ and Burfict, and plus an added years experience to the guys that have been drafted since then. Do we have any potential starters that are going to be obviously better than the starters from 2013?
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 12:59 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I'll become a pessimist the day the Bengals stop making playoff appearances.

I remember the 90's quite well. I also remember Kenny and Boomer in the Super Bowl. I would just like to know why we shouldn't "expect" a playoff win by now? Aren't we the fans? Haven't we been patient enough? Aren't we ultimately the driving force?

Being a first-round losing playoff team is no better than a team with a winning record, right? It's not like we get a 5th place ribbon or anything. Guess I've been watching for so long that I just expected something to happen by now. Whatever
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I don't know about you guys, but id rather be the team that has enough sustainable success in the regular season to make it to the playoffs only to lose in the 1st round, than be the team that never makes it there. I'll take 5 years of 1st round loses, then not making it in over a decade. (cough.... Cleveland..... cough)
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 01:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I remember the 90's quite well.  I also remember Kenny and Boomer in the Super Bowl.  I would just like to know why we shouldn't "expect" a playoff win by now?  Aren't we the fans? Haven't we been patient enough?  Aren't we ultimately the driving force?

Being a first-round losing playoff team is no better than a team with a winning record, right?  It's not like we get a 5th place ribbon or anything.  Guess I've been watching for so long that I just expected something to happen by now.   Whatever

To me football season is one of my favorite times of the year.  Sunday becomes the most important day of the week.  My life literally revolves around it in a lot of ways because I drive from Indy to Cincy to tailgate and attend some games.  During the week, I'm on the boards and trying to consume any bengals related content I can get my hands on.    

If the Bengals weren't a competitive team, I doubt I would enjoy it as much as I do.  Sure I want the Bengals to win playoff games and a SB, but the first thing I ask for is that they field a competitive team that is still playing meaningful games late into the year and for the last 4 seasons they have done just that.  Law of averages say that if they continue doing that they will eventually get over the hump of winning a playoff game.  In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy the ride.  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 01:28 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't know if I could agree that some of us are true pessimists though. When the team hasn't won a playoff game in over 20 years, is it really that much "gloom and doom" to assume that they'll find a way to lose again without making any big changes?

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but what should make me think is going to be so different from 2013? We're basically putting that same team on the field minus Zimmer and Gruden, unknown status on MLJ and Burfict, and plus an added years experience to the guys that have been drafted since then. Do we have any potential starters that are going to be obviously better than the starters from 2013?

In 2013 BJGE was our starting RB.  In 2015 Jeremy Hill will be.  In BJGE last season we were tied for 27th in yards per attempt at 3.6 YPC.  In 2014 with Hill starting basically half the games we were 6th at 4.4.

Now if only we can bring back the passing game from 2013 to go along with a markedly improved running game...
Reply/Quote
The roster is good enough. It's the coaching calls that are not playing to the strengths of the roster is what is killing it.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 02:03 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: In 2013 BJGE was our starting RB.  In 2015 Jeremy Hill will be.  In BJGE last season we were tied for 27th in yards per attempt at 3.6 YPC.  In 2014 with Hill starting basically half the games we were 6th at 4.4.

Now if only we can bring back the passing game from 2013 to go along with a markedly improved running game...

Yeah, not going to lie, I completely had a brainfart and forgot about BJGE.

I think Hill is going to be an excellent RB, so that is definitely something to be excited for. Here is how it looks when you compare 2013 to 2015.

+Hill
+Hue
+Guenther
+Bodine
+Healthy Kirkpatrick
+Dennard
+rookies
+year of experience for young guys

??Burfict
??MLJ
??Eifert

-BJGE
-Gruden
-Zimmer
-Cook
-Newman
-Gresham
-Hawkins
-Geathers
-Mays
-vets being older
Reply/Quote

I think people are a little too hung up on making the playoffs, there I said it. There is a chance the 2015 team misses the playoffs, and I'm not going to say that automatically makes them worse than the 2011 team that went 2-4 in the division and got a wild card at 9-7. That's the thing, this team has 4 playoff berths, but 3 of them are wild card appearances, and we were the 6th seed twice and the 5th seed once. Yes, that's better than missing the playoffs and yes that's better than being stuck in a time-warp where it is always1998 but it's not like we are powering our way into the post-season and then mysteriously falling flat.

If the Bengals really need 5+ cracks at the playoffs to win a game then they had better stop relying on the wild card and start beating the Steelers and the Browns. I started this on a semi-positive note and I'll end it by saying if the 2015 Bengals have a decent year but lose a wild card to the Texans/Bills/Dolphins/Chiefs/Chargers etc then that doesn't mean it is a step in the wrong direction, per se. We've been pretty fortunate under Marvin's rule because we've made the playoffs every single time we posted a winning season, so let's not act like the world is ending if we miss the playoffs (er, unless it's by a LARGE margin).
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 01:40 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't know about you guys, but id rather be the team that has enough sustainable success in the regular season to make it to the playoffs only to lose in the 1st round, than be the team that never makes it there. I'll take 5 years of 1st round loses, then not making it in over a decade. (cough.... Cleveland..... cough)

Why is it one or the other? If I might suggest a third alternative--get to the playoffs, and, since you're there, go ahead and win one or two or three.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 03:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think people are a little too hung up on making the playoffs, there I said it.  There is a chance the 2015 team misses the playoffs, and I'm not going to say that automatically makes them worse than the 2011 team that went 2-4 in the division and got a wild card at 9-7.  That's the thing, this team has 4 playoff berths, but 3 of them are wild card appearances, and we were the 6th seed twice and the 5th seed once.  Yes, that's better than missing the playoffs and yes that's better than being stuck in a time-warp where it is always1998 but it's not like we are powering our way into the post-season and then mysteriously falling flat.

If the Bengals really need 5+ cracks at the playoffs to win a game then they had better stop relying on the wild card and start beating the Steelers and the Browns.  I started this on a semi-positive note and I'll end it by saying if the 2015 Bengals have a decent year but lose a wild card to the Texans/Bills/Dolphins/Chiefs/Chargers etc then that doesn't mean it is a step in the wrong direction, per se.  We've been pretty fortunate under Marvin's rule because we've made the playoffs every single time we posted a winning season, so let's not act like the world is ending if we miss the playoffs (er, unless it's by a LARGE margin).
I remember the year of the Bengals first Superbowl. I went to a number of the games, including our regular season loss to San Francisco. That was the first year I felt that we really looked like a championship caliber team. They did not play their best game against San Francisco, but it looked like a quality football game. We looked like we belonged, not a bunch of clowns. I was there for the Freezer Bowl. We just flat out dominated San Diego.

That's what I want out of this team. I want to look like we know what we're doing out there instead of looking like we're stupid and confused. There were games last year where we looked like that. The second Cleveland game and the Denver game come to mind. And believe it or not in the playoff game against Indy I felt like we had a chance even with most of our offense sitting on the bench.

I want to see us take the next step - not to win a playoff game, but to play like a playoff team consistently.

Hopefully we've done enough to insure that we can survive the injuries we'll have and still play like a contender.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 02:06 PM)Interceptor Wrote: The roster is good enough. It's the coaching calls that are not playing to the strengths of the roster is what is killing it.

I think that's it in a nutshell for a lot of us. Good team, decent depth at most of the positions, but we don't have the leadership to go in the right direction during post-season.
Reply/Quote
To me, making the playoffs only to lose every single time isn't much better than not making the playoffs at all. I'll be just as interested in a 4-12 team as I am a 10-6 that gets their doors blown off in January. At least when you stink, you can look forward to a top QB in the draft or something. Maybe a new coach/direction.

Teams aren't remembered for making playoff cameos. They're remembered for making deep runs.

I became a fan in the early 90's and I've never seen a playoff win. I'm bored with decent/solid/good. I want to see a GREAT Bengals team for once in my life.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

If we have to wait for other teams to get worse to get a playoff win, then do we even deserve one?
Reply/Quote