Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
[Image: 271987373_10159342476770733_818391943740...e=61F1FF85]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 251582994_10159214081970733_695862093883...e=61F22E55]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 08:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Reading figural statements literally is not "sticking with what was actually said."

It is missing what was actually said.  What "group" is served by that?

What "group" is served by assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member?  As stated, if you're down with collective guilt, just let us know so we can quit wasting our time.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 271943510_1312209812617389_6396191835852...e=61F34682]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 272291224_10224455929480250_461485186952...e=61F198C1]
Reply/Quote
[Image: joe-biden-presidential-portrait-year-1-i...C384&ssl=1]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What "group" is served by assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member?  As stated, if you're down with collective guilt, just let us know so we can quit wasting our time.

I don't think the memes creators are "assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member."

What I'm not down with is reading figural language literally to create a strawman. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 08:04 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think the memes creators are "assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member."

Maybe, maybe not.  Neither of us know one way or the other.  We can only go on the language they chose to use.

Quote:What I'm not down with is reading figural language literally to create a strawman. 

Was that what they were doing?  This is a rather large assumption on your part. I acknowledge not knowing the intent of the creators statement, only going by its actual wording.  You claim to know the intent of the author along with discounting the actual wording they chose to use.  Between the two of us it's not hard to determine who's on shaky ground.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 08:25 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Sorry if this was an ironic post. Dean Norris of Breaking Bad fame.

Nah i legit thought it was Reg!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
[Image: vrw2obyunmd81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...29b597ff1b]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 08:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dill Wrote:I don't think the memes creators are "assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member."

Maybe, maybe not.  Neither of us know one way or the other.  We can only go on the language they chose to use.

Quote:What I'm not down with is reading figural language literally to create a strawman. 

Was that what they were doing?  This is a rather large assumption on your part. I acknowledge not knowing the intent of the creators statement, only going by its actual wording.  You claim to know the intent of the author along with discounting the actual wording they chose to use.  Between the two of us it's not hard to determine who's on shaky ground.

So when you don't like/get the import of a direct, literal language you choose to read it figurally,

and when you don't like/get the import of figural language, you choose to read it literally.

As if memes were like Constitutional Law, and you represent the "textualist" school of interpretation.

By "discounting the actual wording" addressing deployment of King's memory/example against civil
rights protestors, you have reconstructed as "original intention" the simple, absurd yet serious claim that all white people killed MLK.

A rather large assumption on your part, but a safer than addressing the actual example of King in past and present
work for civil rights.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: vrw2obyunmd81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...29b597ff1b]

Bels,  2001 just called. They want their meme back.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:44 PM)Dill Wrote: Bels,  2001 just called. They want their meme back.

Still relevant, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Still relevant, though.

Ida know, isn't the most important aspect of being a "republican" at the moment an entirely faith-based belief that the 2020 election was rigged?  It's at least enough of an issue that the meme seems a bit outdated for the time being. 

I'd wager abortion and gun stuff is still important to republicans, but they know they can take care of it AFTER Trump is installed as the president for life. My main point is that the whole 2020 election thing has the left and right refusing to agree on if water is wet, at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:41 PM)Dill Wrote: So when you don't like/get the import of a direct, literal language you choose to read it figurally,

and when you don't like/get the import of figural language, you choose to read it literally.

As if memes were like Constitutional Law, and you represent the "textualist" school of interpretation.

By "discounting the actual wording" addressing deployment of King's memory/example against civil
rights protestors, you have reconstructed as "original intention" the simple, absurd yet serious claim that all white people killed MLK.

A rather large assumption on your part, but a safer than addressing the actual example of King in past and present
work for civil rights.

It's endlessly amusing to me that you think pontificating and endless repetition is a strategy for a compelling argument.  I read it the way it was written.  The only person claiming prescience over the author's intent is you.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's endlessly amusing to me that you think pontificating and endless repetition is a strategy for a compelling argument.  I read it the way it was written.  The only person claiming prescience over the author's intent is you.  

Your amusement is no refutation of my points, which advance an argument incrementally, with each new post.  

You have often had difficulty discerning the structure of an argument. And when you cannot discern that structure--the premises, inference, and conclusion, you cannot respond to it as an argument. E.g., explain why the meme raises the question of who is using the "example" of King and for what purpose. 

Or you can see it and ignore it, call it something else. "Endless repetition"--as if you'd already addressed the argument rather than simply repeated the logically inconsistent claim that reading figural language literally is reading it "as written." 

It's true I'm making a claim about what the author meant, or could have meant.
E.g., when I read figural language as figural--following an author's intention, as signalled in the meme.

But when you chastise the author/Dino for the strawman you construct, you too are absolutely making a claim about its author's intention, while taking pains to exclude any contextualization which would cancel the more aggrieved meaning you want. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: 272293962_10158349843486821_258178299522...e=61F38E51]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 271737762_10165960594420035_161289389252...e=61F3D8B5]
Reply/Quote
[Image: FJ9UYwXXwAgsJb5?format=jpg&name=small]
Reply/Quote