Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Poll shows free agents don’t want to come to Cincinnati
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/14/18261802/poll-shows-free-agents-dont-want-to-come-to-cincinnati

“Cincinnati has a reputation for being ‘cheap,’ according to four different agents. ‘It’s just a poorly run, low-budget operation,’ another agent said.”

Harsh, but history has a way of biting you in the ass..
Reply/Quote
Don’t think Cleveland will be last on that list much longer...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/14/18261802/poll-shows-free-agents-dont-want-to-come-to-cincinnati

“Cincinnati has a reputation for being ‘cheap,’ according to four different agents. ‘It’s just a poorly run, low-budget operation,’ another agent said.”

I don't buy it. From what I've always read, free agents like Cincy because they know they will most likely get to play out their contract. If you read the article, this poll is from agents, not players. Agents are looking for that big payday at signing.....
Reply/Quote
Can this surprise anybody?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't buy it. From what I've always read, free agents like Cincy because they know they will most likely get to play out their contract. If you read the article, this poll is from agents, not players. Agents are looking for that big payday at signing.....

You don't buy it? Really?

C'mon, let's try to appear to be even the slightest bit objective here. 

This team has been attatched to the following stories...

-Sent a 300+ pound Tony Siragusa a coach plane ticket for his free agency visit. (He canceled by the way)
-Rents HDMI cables to it's players for training camp. This one is a little unfair. I'm sure the team really need that $237 dollars and put it to good use.
-Had their 1st round RB (Kijana Carter) buy new towels for the offensive lineman out of his own pocket, after repeated complaints about them being too small.
-Had a coin-operated pop machine in the clubhouse. (What did that bad boy generate a year? An extra $1,500?)
-Rationed Gatorade, and prevented players from grabbing one for the road. (Again, we're talking hundreds in savings.
-HAS THEIR TEAM PRACTICING OUTDOORS LIKE THIS IS MESA, AZ AND NOT CINCINNATI, AND LIKE THIS IS PEE-WEE AND NOT THE NFL!!!!

The list goes on and on. Yet you don't buy the idea that this team is viewed as cheap? 

You think agents are only concerned with "big paydays" and not players?  Um....what?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/14/18261802/poll-shows-free-agents-dont-want-to-come-to-cincinnati

Players will take the most money is the bottom line.

Oakland and Cleveland shouldn't be on that bottom list. They both have a history of paying their players well.

Agents don't like Cincinnati because negotiations is a real job for them.

Also Cincinnati doesn't have a night life or a life style opportunity like many other teams. IE Miami with the Beaches etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Players will take the most money is the bottom line.

Oakland and Cleveland shouldn't be on that bottom list. They both have a history of paying their players well.

Agents don't like Cincinnati because negotiations is a real job for them.

Also Cincinnati doesn't have a night life or a life style opportunity like many other teams. IE Miami with the Beaches etc.

This pretty much nailed it.  

Teams with bad weather and history of losing can sign top free agents if they offer the most money.

Cincy is not an exciting city for young men in their 20's compared to most other NFL locations.

Bengals are tough negotiators.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't buy it? Really?

C'mon, let's try to appear to be even the slightest bit objective here. 

This team has been attatched to the following stories...

-Sent a 300+ pound Tony Siragusa a coach plane ticket for his free agency visit. (He canceled by the way)
-Rents HDMI cables to it's players for training camp. This one is a little unfair. I'm sure the team really need that $237 dollars and put it to good use.
-Had their 1st round RB (Kijana Carter) buy new towels for the offensive lineman out of his own pocket, after repeated complaints about them being too small.
-Had a coin-operated pop machine in the clubhouse. (What did that bad boy generate a year? An extra $1,500?)
-Rationed Gatorade, and prevented players from grabbing one for the road. (Again, we're talking hundreds in savings.
-HAS THEIR TEAM PRACTICING OUTDOORS LIKE THIS IS MESA, AZ AND NOT CINCINNATI, AND LIKE THIS IS PEE-WEE AND NOT THE NFL!!!!

The list goes on and on. Yet you don't buy the idea that this team is viewed as cheap? 

You think agents are only concerned with "big paydays" and not players?  Um....what?

Don't know about HDMI cables, but the TVs rented on Hard Knocks were from school not the Bengals.  Is that what you were talking about?

The Gatorade was not "rationed".  In fact players were allowed to take "one for the road".  They just could not carry out cartons or cases.

If I made hundreds of thousands of dollars a year I would not pitch a fit over buying my own towel.  

Every organization has their team practice outdoors.

Funny how at the same time a lot of people are complaining about the "pussification" of the NFL there are others saying we should not expect to get the best players if we don't offer them the poofiest towels.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This pretty much nailed it.  

Teams with bad weather and history of losing can sign top free agents if they offer the most money.

Cincy is not an exciting city for young men in their 20's compared to most other NFL locations.

Bengals are tough negotiators.

Yep, explains why older NFL players that have families are ok coming here, but those young guys need clubs and places to go so they can score more off the field than on it, and we just don't have that.
Reply/Quote
Having night clubs is the key to winning. Ha!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know about HDMI cables, but the TVs rented on Hard Knocks were from school not the Bengals.  Is that what you were talking about?

The Gatorade was not "rationed".  In fact players were allowed to take "one for the road".  They just could not carry out cartons or cases.

If I made hundreds of thousands of dollars a year I would not pitch a fit over buying my own towel.  

Funny how at the same time a lot of people are complaining about the "pussification" of the NFL there are others saying we should not expect to get the best players if we don't offer them the poofiest towels.

It’s not about having to buy your own towel money wise it’s more of the fact other organizations provide them so why wouldn’t you choose a job that will pay you more and treat you better?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:18 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: It’s not about having to buy your own towel money wise it’s more of the fact other organizations provide them so why wouldn’t you choose a job that will pay you more and treat you better?

The contract is what matters.  The price of a towel is meaningless when talking about contract offers.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t think Cleveland will be last on that list much longer...

Perks of having an outspoken franchise QB and a real GM
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:18 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: It’s not about having to buy your own towel money wise it’s more of the fact other organizations provide them so why wouldn’t you choose a job that will pay you more and treat you better?

Because uhhh I doubt hey do I have to buy my own Towel or how much Gatorade can I take home comes up in free agent meetings...

More likely it's how much guaranteed money will I get and how big is my signing bonus.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Let's be honest, wanting to go to a winning team plays a part as well. I'm sure Cincinnati doesn't jump off the page at anybody as a good spot to land if you wanna win.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's be honest, wanting to go to a winning team plays a part as well. I'm sure Cincinnati doesn't jump off the page at anybody as a good spot to land if you wanna win.

If you look at most of the signings it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

Maybe for guys on their last contract, but the 2nd contracts are usually the big paydays and those players seem to care about money more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you look at most of the signings it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

Maybe for guys on their last contract, but the 2nd contracts are usually the big paydays and those players seem to care about money more than anything.

Oh there's no doubt money is #1 

But when it's near the same offer from other teams that enjoy post season success, they win. It's been said a gazillion times and it's true - winning changes everything.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know about HDMI cables, but the TVs rented on Hard Knocks were from school not the Bengals.  Is that what you were talking about?

He had to go to the way back machine and get things from a decade or more to try to make a point.....
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You think agents are only concerned with "big paydays" and not players?  Um....what?

Players know they can make the most money going where they can finish out their contracts. Do you not wonder why they polled agents for this, and not players?
Reply/Quote
Yes, because look at all the high priced, very sought after, highly successful free agents have signed.

True or not, free agents can have a choice and perception can be reality for a FA.
Reply/Quote