Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly the worst move in the history of the team
Ill never forgive this team for letting Andrew walk. They could have had him for a $25 IHOP gift card, but no. He wanted to stay and retire here.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
But Ogbuehi, guys.

Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget David Klingler..

At least Kijana Carter gets an injury pass.

But, certainly the worst move has to be letting Bill Walsh go, and then losing to him in the only two Superbowl appearances in Bengal history.

The Akili debacle gets compounded though due to turning down the insanity of Ditka's trade offer. We didn't just get a POS QB, we lost out on an entire second draft worth of picks (1,3,4,5,6,7) and a 1st and 3rd the following year. I don't mind whiffing on a QB, at least not as much as I do whiffing on a QB AND turning down one of the best trade offers in NFL history at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 12:46 PM)UDBengalsFan Wrote: March 2017:

SHRacerX:

"You are absolutely correct.  We all loved Whit, but the fact is it was time to turn the roster, get younger and faster, and see what they can do.  This team didn't win a playoff game with the old guard, and maybe it can be a better team with the infusion of youth and speed. "

XenoMorph:

"Wish you the best Whit...  But if big pay day is what you were after you know it was gonna come from a team that wasn't in the hunt."

CageTheBengal:

"Pretty disappointing/funny he isn't at least going to a winner. Can't say I respect that but it's his choice."

(The Rams are 19 and 6 since Whit signed)

JumboTron

"Man, talk about overpaying, 3yr/36 million, 15 million guaranteed for a 35 year old. Good for Whit though on getting a nice pay day."

[Image: homietheclown3.png]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for the real worst moves ever, I have always said that the list in my mind is...

1. Letting Mike Brown take over after Paul Brown died.

2. Not trading the Akili pick for the Saint's entire draft, plus 2 more 1st rounders and 1 more second rounder.

3. Not getting rid of Marvin and hiring Mike Zimmer as coach before he left.

The Whit move is pretty darn awful, but I don't think it is even in the same category as those three.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hiring Terryl Austin.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In no particular order after #1:

1: Paul deciding to allow Mike to succeed him as principal owner and GM. 26 year of ineptitude and counting...

2: Drafting Akili Smith when the team sucked instead of taking New Orleans’ draft worth of picks

3: Not stressing to Jeremy Hill “Protect the ball! Do not get stood up and allow the second/third guy to strip the ball!”

4: Slighting the ultimate team guy (Whit) by drafting a LT with a shredded knee and questionable blocking prowess. Then following it with drafting a second LT in the same draft.

5: Tie: Passing on DeSean Jackson to draft Jerome Simpson/ Not providing Stanley Wilson with a life coach/minder at the Super Bowl.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the OP one of the ones saying it was time to move on from Whitworth because we had to find out what we had in the draft picks? Also how Whitworth was too old to sign to a multi-year contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ahhh Klingler, helped put the "lookout block" by Olinemen on the map. 

And yes I'd probably have to list Walsh as #1, but Big Whit will go down as one of the top fubar's when it's all said and done I'd say.

Where would this team be now if we still had him ?

Probably the same as the year he was let go. Not dissing Whit but the line played horrible his final year here also. Sure it would be nice having him and Glenn but Glenn would have never happened. We have plenty of good players, it's the coaching that's horrible. Whit being let go was a blow to the line but the team as a whole still has too many issue's for one player to make a difference.He would have just wasted away the rest of his days as a Bengal with no chance at all for a ring.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:48 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: In no particular order after #1:

1:  Paul deciding to allow Mike to succeed him as principal owner and GM.  26 year of ineptitude and counting...

2:  Drafting Akili Smith when the team sucked instead of taking New Orleans’ draft worth of picks

3:  Not stressing to Jeremy Hill “Protect the ball!  Do not get stood up and allow the second/third guy to strip the ball!”  

4:  Slighting the ultimate team guy (Whit) by drafting a LT with a shredded knee and questionable blocking prowess.  Then following it with drafting a second LT in the same draft.

5:  Tie:   Passing on DeSean Jackson to draft Jerome Simpson/ Not providing Stanley Wilson with a life coach/minder at the Super Bowl.

6. Not driving his Lumina off a cliff
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:04 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the OP one of the ones saying it was time to move on from Whitworth because we had to find out what we had in the draft picks? Also how Whitworth was too old to sign to a multi-year contract.

No the OP was not. The OP did say the Bengals did it right if they were looking to replace an aging LT. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Certainly one of them. The guy is still one of the premier tables in the game in the second year of a three year contract.

He's also one of the best core team players and a stellar human being.
Reply/Quote